Sofa bed: can anyone explain exactly what it is to me?

Hi!

On NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS this summer.

We have a sofa bed in the room.

Does it open up and fold out as a double? Or do you just sleep on it unopened like a twin? I can't figure it out.

And how uncomfortable is it exactly?

THANKS!

3 hours ago, mxschwartz said:

Hi!

On NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS this summer.

We have a sofa bed in the room.

Does it open up and fold out as a double? Or do you just sleep on it unopened like a twin? I can't figure it out.

And how uncomfortable is it exactly?

THANKS!

It may depend on whether you room holds 3 or 4.  Royal has started doing rooms that hold 3 that they basically put a sheet on the sofa vs the room that holds 4 where the sofa pulls out to a double. 

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

It may depend on whether you room holds 3 or 4.  Royal has started doing rooms that hold 3 that they basically put a sheet on the sofa vs the room that holds 4 where the sofa pulls out to a double. 

Yeah that's what I don't understand. 

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You need room look at the deckplanns.  The symbols will tell you the cabin occupancy.

It says it's a three room occupancy......but the travel agent said it's a double sofa that converts into a bed so ????

2 hours ago, mxschwartz said:

It says it's a three room occupancy......but the travel agent said it's a double sofa that converts into a bed so ????

No way of knowing as Royal no longer lists type of bed configurations, one occupancy. 

Look for you tube videos for your room or other rooms that hold 3 in the same general area of the ship. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If the couch doesn't fold out into a bed, it's a couch, not a sofa.

And Roysl is now putting a third guest in these cabins.  It's a generic description that uses sofa bed and does not necessarily mean it pulls out. 

5 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

Some of them may be futons where the back of the couch slides down and pushes the seat out, rather than the cushions coming off and a bed pulls out.

Every cruise I have done in a regular stateroom (including Navigator) the "sofa bed" is a futon as described.  The only time I have ever seen a true sofa bed where an actual bed folds out of the sofa is in suites.  A sofa bed has to extend out much farther than a futon, so it would make the stateroom even tighter when opened.  I didn't think the futon was very comfortable since you have a dip in the middle where the two pieces meet, and it doesn't have much cushioning, but I never slept on one and my kids never complained.

I have also heard of triple occupancy rooms with a chair that converts to a bed, but I've never sailed in one of those rooms.