Retro Stateroom Shipboard Credit

honmani2

2 hours ago, honmani2 said:

I was looking at my invoice and at the bottom under Amenities and Gifts, there's:

Gift Orders

US$2300 Retro Stateroom Shipboard Credit

What is this exactly?  

If this is an upcoming cruise (within 2023) that is/was in the “extraordinary savings sale,” it is most likely a “price drop match” (i.e., “retro”) in the form of non-refundable SBC (as opposed to a cash refund).

You haven’t provided enough info about this. Why did you “look at” your invoice? Is it an updated invoice with the same fare as the prior/original one? Did you ask your TA (or O directly if no TA) to see if you qualified for the sale price on one “sale” segment of a multi-segment cruise? Did you originally book onboard and, because there’s cabin availability, the “price drop match” guarantee is in effect? 

( Flatbush was faster than me, and provided more/better guidance )

Questions: 

What cruise and Date?

Did you book it onboard?  ( Lowest price Guarantee )

Did fare decrease ( Extraordinary Savings Offer ) ?

Suggest calling TA if used, or O for definitive explanation.  However, I would just accept it.  If perhaps they perhaps find an error...

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info

8 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

( Flatbush was faster than me, and provided more/better guidance )

Questions: 

What cruise and Date?

Did you book it onboard?  ( Lowest price Guarantee )

Did fare decrease ( Extraordinary Savings Offer ) ?

Suggest calling TA if used, or O for definitive explanation.  However, I would just accept it.  If perhaps they perhaps find an error...

Yes - good point. Errors do happen. For example, I’ve see the occasional/questionable   “O ‘in lieu’ $250” regarding a gratuities coverage conflict between OCAPP and O Club  funding (too confusing to explain). Whether it’s supposed to be applied seems to be a matter of interpretation by whoever at O has handled some booking change. Nonetheless, if it was a mistake, you may find that it may be gone from the shipboard account once you embark.

I agree with the above

If  you do not think you will be spending  that much  I would request it in the form of an FCC  or if you already have another cruise booked see if it can be applied to that   booking

JMO

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I agree with the above

If  you do not think you will be spending  that much  I would request it in the form of an FCC  or if you already have another cruise booked see if it can be applied to that   booking

JMO

“Ain’t gonna happen.”

“Retro $” related to the ESS are only for the specific cruise in question. It’s stated in the correspondence sent to the TA regarding the sale adjustment.

In addition, you may remember that O stopped issuing Future Cruise Certificates months ago as part of the overall attempt to get a “fresh start” in 2024.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In addition, you may remember that O stopped issuing Future Cruise Certificates months ago as part of the overall attempt to get a “fresh start” in 2024.

As per LHT28

They may have stopped doing FCC but I know of one person who is on one the ESS sailings and was able to apply the credit as payment to another cruise.

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

As per LHT28

They may have stopped doing FCC but I know of one person who is on one the ESS sailings and was able to apply the credit to another cruise.

Very surprised to hear that. 
Of course, the biggest unknown is: if someone is given the exception of a Retro being applied to a different future cruise, will it make that future cruise ineligible for any “as yet unknown” sale and/or will it be transferable to yet another cruise if the person cancels. 

Thank you for the quick replies.  There's a lot of smart cruisers on this board!

I'm on the ten day Scandavian cruise departing October 2.

I found out it was part of the Extraordinary Savings Offer. (O could make it easier by simply saying it was an ESO credit . . . "Retro" is confusing.)

I hadn't heard from my TA so I didn't know if the promotional offer was applied.  Another question.  Prior to the promotion, my original itinerary had all three O Life options (free drinks, shore excursions, and on board credit.)

When I look at the invoice, only the shore excursions are there.  Is this because you can only get one promotion so I "lost" the other two amenities?

15 minutes ago, honmani2 said:

Thank you for the quick replies.  There's a lot of smart cruisers on this board!

I'm on the ten day Scandavian cruise departing October 2.

I found out it was part of the Extraordinary Savings Offer. (O could make it easier by simply saying it was an ESO credit . . . "Retro" is confusing.)

I hadn't heard from my TA so I didn't know if the promotional offer was applied.  Another question.  Prior to the promotion, my original itinerary had all three O Life options (free drinks, shore excursions, and on board credit.)

When I look at the invoice, only the shore excursions are there.  Is this because you can only get one promotion so I "lost" the other two amenities?

O’s mantra is “no double dipping.” For example, folks who book onboard would have to give up that discount to get “ultimate O Life.”

BTW, I like “Retro” because you know it’s a retroactive adjustment to an existing booking.

It's too bad that O doesn't just refund the ESO dollars to your credit card.  $2300 in OBC is gratefully accepted but not all that easy to spend given our habits.  I know it's a First World problem so I'll muddle through it.  Ha ha.

1 minute ago, honmani2 said:

It's too bad that O doesn't just refund the ESO dollars to your credit card.  $2300 in OBC is gratefully accepted but not all that easy to spend given our habits.  I know it's a First World problem so I'll muddle through it.  Ha ha.

It does not hurt to ask for  an FCC

It is tricky to spend that much if you are not a big drinker or  a spa person

I had  more than that  & came home with a bunch of stuff  we really did not need

Still have some shirts with the tags on them LOL