Video Appointment on Celebration

bar1068

If memory serves, Celebration has the new, "upgraded" internet service, Starlink?

We're on the Celebration starting May 20. I have a video appointment scheduled with my Dr. Nothing crucial, but if the internet service can handle it, I want to have the discussion. We've purchased the value internet package, but I've no issue upgrading for the day, if needed, assuming thats still an option.

Just looking for input from anyone that has done any sort video conferencing, Zoom calls whatever onboard. Call is scheduled on one of our sea days heading back from our ABC cruise. Thanks.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:55 AM, bar1068 said:

If memory serves, Celebration has the new, "upgraded" internet service, Starlink?

We're on the Celebration starting May 20. I have a video appointment scheduled with my Dr. Nothing crucial, but if the internet service can handle it, I want to have the discussion. We've purchased the value internet package, but I've no issue upgrading for the day, if needed, assuming thats still an option.

Just looking for input from anyone that has done any sort video conferencing, Zoom calls whatever onboard. Call is scheduled on one of our sea days heading back from our ABC cruise. Thanks.

I would think you'll be fine... I didn't do any video calls, but everything else was fast, including streaming some video.

• Like 1

Should work fine with the Premium internet. Video conferencing will not work with any other plan.

I would reschedule the appointment as well. But I guess I'm not allowed to share that opinion on this forum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreyB said:

Pretty slow. 

Plenty good for a video call, and remarkable for a moving ship in the middle of the ocean, likely hundreds of miles from civilization.

So a video call really only take 3-5Mbps in bandwidth which wouldn't be the problem on a ship, the problem would be latency (the round trip time it takes to make the connection) and back pressure (the amount of people on the ship wide network).  So while you may have a higher download speed than the 5Mbps you will have latency and back pressure so you may or may not have a good experience.  It will most likely depend on the time of day (during the day less people are on the internet and enjoying the activities on the ship) but people are still connected now.  So I would just be prepared for a potential bad experience regardless of internet plan (from what I read Carnival does not provide Quality of Service routing for Video calls as they do not want them to happen so there is no guarantee for it)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 9:14 PM, TreyB said:

Lol seriously?  Nothing crucial you are on a cruise and you want to have a doctor appointment? Re-schedule.  🤦‍♂️

As you had no, nor are you entitled to know the detail of what i was asking, I will still thank your for this completely and utterly useless reply.

Edited by bar1068
words missing

For anyone curious, I had the video call with my MD on a sea day during our Celebration sailing last week, and it went surprisingly well. I did bump my service from the value plan to the premium for the day. Even though the "setup and testing" for the call via my health providers app continued to "complain" about a weak internet connection all went well. Some video lag, but overall good performance and I accomplished what I needed to.

• Like 3

I was on the Radiance a few weeks back and did video calls back home over facetime with no problem- on a ship without starlink. You might want to double check what telehealth platform your doctor is using. I'd imagine if it were just zoom, you might be able to get an audio call in (possibly video) okay.

Edited by notscb

It seems that it worked fine with video - that being said; every video conferencing platform I've used allows for no video connections. I have several video conferences a week for work and when people are traveling, turning the camera off works well when there is a weak connection. If you don't absolutely have to have a face to face call, that is always my suggestion. 

Edited by sanger727

On 5/15/2023 at 8:15 AM, asalligo said:

I recorded this with Premium internet last month 

image.png.53861eba7d25d6844d89e2f8926056f2.png

I am curious, is this on the Celebration? Every other screenshot I have seen of speedtests on there (and the other ships that have been upgraded to Starlink) have been getting 100mb+. I am curious if this is on the Celebration and if so, why is it so slow?

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

I am curious, is this on the Celebration? Every other screenshot I have seen of speedtests on there (and the other ships that have been upgraded to Starlink) have been getting 100mb+. I am curious if this is on the Celebration and if so, why is it so slow?

Yes, Carnival Celebration April 17th 2023 with Premium internet. I checked it several times on our cruise and that was about the same speed each time. I cannot speak to why. I did not know they were Starlink yet, I thought that was a future upgrade. 

9 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Yes, Carnival Celebration April 17th 2023 with Premium internet. I checked it several times on our cruise and that was about the same speed each time. I cannot speak to why. I did not know they were Starlink yet, I thought that was a future upgrade. 

I averaged about 80 - 130 mbps on Celebration in April. It was in the 30’s in the main theater. I streamed a baseball game with no problem.