Underwhelmed by the Mardi Gras

aml3679

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

We would rank Galveston at the bottom and no desire to go back there.  We use private shuttles or UberXL/LyftXL if reasonably priced.

To each their own.

the original comment i replied to was about the ease of getting to Galveston, which, in my experience, was very simple with plenty of private shuttle options. Uber and Lyft also exist there...

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You stick to Galveston and we'll stick to MCO.  MCO is slightly closer to PC than Bush is to Galveston and has substantially more private shuttles at a much cheaper price. Plus there are more flights into MCO than Bush.

Will do, thanks 🙂

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

After doing more reading it looks pretty straightforward. I canget direct flights on American airlines where the prices are pretty good, use Galveston express to get us to the Harbor House hotel, and dinner at Willie G’s.

We flew into HOU (Hobby) and also used Galveston Express. We had a great experience, and like I mentioned, the highway in/out is one highway and is pretty straightforward. Enjoy downtown galveston, they have some of the best seafood i've had in a while and some really fun shopping/stores.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

My point for the 'comparison' is exactly as you describe it. They are two completely different kinds of cruising and I know which I personally prefer.  Now within the Carnival brand, the opposite ends would be a Mardi Gras cruise that visits Nassau, Grand Turk and Amber Cove versus a Carnival Pride 10 day European. Again, I know which I prefer.  And when I do enjoy a 'standard Bahamas' getaway, my preference is to do it on Sunrise or Horizon at a significantly lower price point.  See for me, the ship is simply not the destination. It's why I'll never be on one of the giant RCCL ships.  Like never. Other folks can see it 180 degrees different. More power to them. 

With us, the ship is the destination after sailing 40+ times to the Caribbean.  No right or wrong choices though.  It just all depends upon how experienced of a cruiser you are and whether you prefer the destination or the vehicle.

2 hours ago, notscb said:

We flew into HOU (Hobby) and also used Galveston Express. We had a great experience, and like I mentioned, the highway in/out is one highway and is pretty straightforward. Enjoy downtown galveston, they have some of the best seafood i've had in a while and some really fun shopping/stores.

Thank you. 😊

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:20 PM, cmichael1221 said:

I have been on Mardi Gras/Celebration 6 times now - the crowds weren't bad at all

Good to hear and it is the same on RCI Oasis class ships. Folks spread out by day 2.

I am looking forward to going on Celebration for Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Good to hear and it is the same on RCI Oasis class ships. Folks spread out by day 2.

I am looking forward to going on Celebration for Thanksgiving.

It seems like the folks that like the Excel Class ships on Carnival have previously cruised on the larger vessels from RCI, NCL & MSC and they know what to expect.  Those that don't like it are usually accustomed to the smaller ships in the Carnival fleet and may be overwhelmed by an 180 tons ship.  If 180 is overwhelming, what would their reaction be to RCI's Icon Class at 250 K?

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It seems like the folks that like the Excel Class ships on Carnival have previously cruised on the larger vessels from RCI, NCL & MSC and they know what to expect.  Those that don't like it are usually accustomed to the smaller ships in the Carnival fleet and may be overwhelmed by an 180 tons ship.  If 180 is overwhelming, what would their reaction be to RCI's Icon Class at 250 K?

I love the bigger ships. There is soo much to do on them.

I do understand though that they are not everybody's cup of tea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I love the bigger ships. There is soo much to do on them.

I do understand though that they are not everybody's cup of tea.

Fully agree.  We started cruising on Princess last year on their brand new Discovery, which is slightly larger than the Vista Class.  Enjoyed it so much we booked on other Royal Class ships with the Majestic to Alaska this year and a repo cruise on the Enchanted next year.

Really looking forward to their new Sphere Class, which is comparable to the Excel Class.  The Sun comes out next year and the Star comes out in 2025. About 5 K tons smaller than the Celebration, but 2000 less people.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:20 PM, Itried4498 said:

I have written several times that Carnival yields a great value, but it offers an underwhelming experience.

Why, indeed you have!

The Mardi Gras features the same menus in the MDR and entertainment program -- just more of it, since it's a larger ship -- as the rest of the fleet, but yet it's some how "game changing."  I honestly don't get it? 

No, apparently not.   Please to tell us which other ships in Carnival's fleet offer an aerobatics show?  Which other Carnival ships offer a jazz trio and a string ensemble simultaneously in its French Quarter neighborhood?

Yeah, there's more entertainment.  Which is kinda our point.  

Quite frankly, when the headlining show is the bore fest Celestial Strings, I would hope that any new shows would be an improvement (of course, CS found its way on the MG and Celebration).  

Wow.   Just...wow.   

I'm a metalhead, and I like more "active" music in general, but I thought Celestial Strings were top-notch.  I tend to like musical talent when I see it, regardless (mostly) of genre.   But hey, to each their own.

Carnival's "cake station" is an example of its underwhelming product.  The cakes are attractive, tasty and well-liked, but they're also a significantly cheaper product to produce than the individual desserts offered elsewhere.  

"This cruise line has too much cake!"     Said virtually no-one ever.

Americans are generally mesmerized by newer & bigger but once the novelty of the Excel Class wears off, the short comings on the fleet will become more topicable.

Thanks for the random offensive stereotype, there. 

And, others will speak of the pompitous of their love for the Excel class.  😉  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It does seem like one gravitates to one end or the other.  My very favorite cruises were on Windstar and Star Clipper, the latter being a true sailing ship. Both provided amazing intimacy and oneness with the ocean. I'm hopeful that in my lifetime that there will still be 'mass market' product out there that fits my style and thriftiness. There is no doubt that much of the industry is headed away from that toward the 'ship is the destination' model. I fully understand why that works for many, including the cruiselines thenselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

It does seem like one gravitates to one end or the other.  My very favorite cruises were on Windstar and Star Clipper, the latter being a true sailing ship. Both provided amazing intimacy and oneness with the ocean. I'm hopeful that in my lifetime that there will still be 'mass market' product out there that fits my style and thriftiness. There is no doubt that much of the industry is headed away from that toward the 'ship is the destination' model. I fully understand why that works for many, including the cruiselines thenselves.

Have you ever gone riverboat cruising?

21 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Any ship with a good layout given whatever the size will be enjoyable IMHO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Mardi Gras. I was so unimpressed. Our large balcony was really cheap, though, so that’s a plus. The cabin steward and the steakhouse servers were very friendly and probably the highlights of the cruise (and comedy). The bed is ROCK hard, but our steward got us an egg crate and that helped. The lido food was bland and repeated the mains every other day. We ate in the MDR twice, and it was terrible. Maybe because we had my time dining, the servers were quick to get us out and not overly friendly. They did ask our names, but never used them. The food was tasteless and cheap. Except for the steakhouse, and Rudi’s, the food was subpar at best. I don’t get people’s fascination with Guy’s pressed pan seared burgers, and the selection is small at blue iguana. I ordered a filet mignon on elegant night, and it was fatty and chewy like a cheap sirloin. Oh yes, elegant night….the dozen or so people that dressed up were a nice addition, and then there were those in sneakers and button down shirts (at least they attempted) but everyone else were in shorts, tank tops, baseball caps and flip flops it was like morning on the lido. Second elegant night we just went to Chibang…and no lobster there.There were people screaming profanities at the guest services desk several times we walked by…real classy. The grand central was a terrible idea for shows. People walking all around and in front of you was terribly distracting to the shows. And the shows weren’t even that great. It was like they had the same 7 performers do everything. Celestial String was alright, but they just ran around or slid around removing layers of clothes the whole show. Clearly lip syncing at times for sure, and the ariel bits were just lifting people in the air and floating them around a little. Absolutely NO acrobatics at any time. Voodoo was just a variation of celestial strings or vice-versa. The adult comedy was good though. I give them props for that. Don’t sit in the first row, lol! Overall the ship lacked any real elegance, I’ve been used to sailing RCL and MSC. Of course, this is all subjective. I can see there bring lots of people who love the wild range, spring break like atmosphere. The bartenders also need training. If you don’t order of the menu they rarely know how to make it. Even if you do order off the menu, they forget to add ingredients sometimes. Alchemy was okay, but they rotated bartenders so you’d get lousy bartenders even at Alchemy. Disembarking was a nightmare, we had regular, not early, and chose #26 tags. By the time we got through customs, it was 11:30am…3 hours after leaving the cabin…worst disembarkation ever.

23 minutes ago, mysticbluebmw said:

Just got off the Mardi Gras. I was so unimpressed. Our large balcony was really cheap, though, so that’s a plus. The cabin steward and the steakhouse servers were very friendly and probably the highlights of the cruise (and comedy). The bed is ROCK hard, but our steward got us an egg crate and that helped. The lido food was bland and repeated the mains every other day. We ate in the MDR twice, and it was terrible. Maybe because we had my time dining, the servers were quick to get us out and not overly friendly. They did ask our names, but never used them. The food was tasteless and cheap. Except for the steakhouse, and Rudi’s, the food was subpar at best. I don’t get people’s fascination with Guy’s pressed pan seared burgers, and the selection is small at blue iguana. I ordered a filet mignon on elegant night, and it was fatty and chewy like a cheap sirloin. Oh yes, elegant night….the dozen or so people that dressed up were a nice addition, and then there were those in sneakers and button down shirts (at least they attempted) but everyone else were in shorts, tank tops, baseball caps and flip flops it was like morning on the lido. Second elegant night we just went to Chibang…and no lobster there.There were people screaming profanities at the guest services desk several times we walked by…real classy. The grand central was a terrible idea for shows. People walking all around and in front of you was terribly distracting to the shows. And the shows weren’t even that great. It was like they had the same 7 performers do everything. Celestial String was alright, but they just ran around or slid around removing layers of clothes the whole show. Clearly lip syncing at times for sure, and the ariel bits were just lifting people in the air and floating them around a little. Absolutely NO acrobatics at any time. Voodoo was just a variation of celestial strings or vice-versa. The adult comedy was good though. I give them props for that. Don’t sit in the first row, lol! Overall the ship lacked any real elegance, I’ve been used to sailing RCL and MSC. Of course, this is all subjective. I can see there bring lots of people who love the wild range, spring break like atmosphere. The bartenders also need training. If you don’t order of the menu they rarely know how to make it. Even if you do order off the menu, they forget to add ingredients sometimes. Alchemy was okay, but they rotated bartenders so you’d get lousy bartenders even at Alchemy. Disembarking was a nightmare, we had regular, not early, and chose #26 tags. By the time we got through customs, it was 11:30am…3 hours after leaving the cabin…worst disembarkation ever.

You naughty boy! I see you only have 69 posts so you haven't learned yet. Don't take the flaying of your flesh that is to come personally; it is a rite of passage designed to teach you the "correct" opinions to have in this forum. 🤐😁

But I appreciate your observations just as I appreciate the observations of those who love the big ships. (Personally I prefer smaller ships.) Different points of view paint a more complete picture.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, icft said:

You naughty boy! I see you only have 69 posts so you haven't learned yet. Don't take the flaying of your flesh that is to come personally; it is a rite of passage designed to teach you the "correct" opinions to have in this forum. 🤐😁

But I appreciate your observations just as I appreciate the observations of those who love the big ships. (Personally I prefer smaller ships.) Different points of view paint a more complete picture.

Well, I appreciate the heads up 😅 I’ve only been around here for about 8 years, so I guess I still have a lot to learn.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mysticbluebmw said:

Well, I appreciate the heads up 😅 I’ve only been around here for about 8 years, so I guess I still have a lot to learn.

Eight years? Then you are a brave soul. Respect!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysticbluebmw said:

If Celestial Strings was the highlight of your trip, you must've been on the cruise from hell. 

• Haha 1

Interesting Carnival cruise card you showed there!

I haven't cruised now for 8 long years

so your card looks different to what I last saw (and collected).
Seems longer than standard card-size??

If you're not emotionally attached to it

I'd love to add it to my collection (anyone else,too!)

Please Email me at dh-jennie (at) outlook dot com

for a postal address

Carnival card - May 2023.JPG

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Interesting Carnival cruise card you showed there!

I haven't cruised now for 8 long years

so your card looks different to what I last saw (and collected).
Seems longer than standard card-size??

If you're not emotionally attached to it

I'd love to add it to my collection (anyone else,too!)

Please Email me at dh-jennie (at) outlook dot com

for a postal address

Carnival card - May 2023.JPG

That's not a real Ship sign and sail card. It's a custom made tag for the duck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it's a subconscious thing for some people to find things to not like as that is the cool thing to do. I sailed on the Celebration this year. At my own fault, I was dreading long lines and crowds as I fed into nonsense on the internet. Aside from the atrium which lacks enough seating, I never experienced that. In fact, the dreaded Pizza and Punchliner crowds were actually better experiences than they were on other Carnival ships.