No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

NO!!!  I don't want a pro-rata refund of my free + gratuities basic drink package.  What would that be?  A buck ninety-five?  I want the full cruise experience.

Predictable answer from you. You go fill up your Flow bottle with vodka and Gin or whatever it is. Then tomorrow you go reverse the process. You do you, mate. I'll just cruise Princess or Celebrity. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe that you are mistaken.  Taxes and fees are applied to business transactions.  None occur if I am consuming my stockpile that I previously obtained.  I'm guessing you're not a tax lawyer.  Do I need to get my lawyer involved?  Calling @complawyer!!! 🤣

Not a lawyer and don't play one on TV. No need to get a lawyer involved on my behalf. I just don't care that much. Cheers. Have a good life!!

Just now, luv2kroooz said:

Predictable answer from you.

🤣🤣🤣

Just now, luv2kroooz said:

You do you, mate.

Of course I'll do me.  Why would I need your blessing?

1 minute ago, luv2kroooz said:

I'll just cruise Princess or Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise!! 😎

(disclaimer: I'll never have to fill my water box because this will be fixed yesterday)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to confirm, is this only UK ports?

We're on the Getaway in August. Do we just need to wait until we leave Southampton before we can be served alcohol? Then we'll be heading to Rotterdam, Bruges, France, Spain and then finishing in Lisbon.

16 minutes ago, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

NCL seem to have just discovered Belfast is in the UK. 

ROFL - I was just reporting on this thread to my husband and telling him that it seems like there is a lot of confusion on what exactly comprises the UK. Your comment was well-timed and got a chuckle out of us. 🙂 

I'm very glad we declined the package for our June cruise on the Dawn.

8 minutes ago, SofaSogood said:

Just to confirm, is this only UK ports?

We're on the Getaway in August. Do we just need to wait until we leave Southampton before we can be served alcohol? Then we'll be heading to Rotterdam, Bruges, France, Spain and then finishing in Lisbon.

This hasn’t just affected the UK. There have been similar problems in Greece and in Gibraltar. There are also some restrictions in Italy at the moment. In some places (currently Italy and Greece) they are only serving people with the beverage packages.

Nobody can say what the situation will be in August. I honestly don’t think this is sustainable for NCL, so it’s likely that the UK issues will be resolved by then, but they could still happen in any of those other countries.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'll bet you five bucks that it is fixed long before then.

We're sailing out of Stockholm - port-intensive Baltic. I'm figuring they will discover a whole new country (or countries) to have issues with for our cruise lol.

• Haha 3

On 5/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Even if NCL is "making up" the whole thing because, as some have suggested, they just want to avoid paying a tax, OK, so what? What are you gonna do about it? Boycott the line? Threaten to sue? Maybe someone can enlighten me, but exactly what purpose is served by complaining on Cruise Critic?

I think it matters because some people are trying to decide if they want to sign up for or decline the drink package or not.   And if a large number of days the drink package can't be used, then there's no point in paying the taxes and service fee associated with the drink package.

And others might choose to book a cruise to a different location if the UK ones can't have alcohol on NCL.  There are a ton of people (including me) for whom none of this matters since we don't drink very much but it matters to other people so I think its important to let people know which cruises they can drink on so they can pick the right cruise that will make them happy.

It's important for people to be aware of issues so they can choose the right line/cruises.  On my cruise, NCL cancelled the port of the Dominican Republic, and the morning of another port for environmental reasons after final payment.  They continued to advertise the original itinerary for another month, and didn't let anyone switch or cancel (even people who booked directly with them after the change was made and weren't told by the NCL phone reps before booking their cruise the listed itinerary was wrong).  There were plenty of people on my cruise who didn't care about the itinerary change and were just happy being out of the cold in NY.  So the itinerary issues aren't a problem for them, just like the alcohol issues aren't a problem for me.  But they're a problem for some cruisers and its better to let everyone know what's happening so they can decide what would be best for them.

So we need to use cruise critic to let people know about things like this, so they can choose what they want to do in the future since lots of cruisers are single issue cruisers (unfortunately I'm an itinerary person so the changed itinerary was a problem since it kept my kids from doing what they really wanted on our cruise) For other people easy access to included alcohol is a primary reason to cruise, so they need to know this is happening prior to  deciding on a destination and electing whether or not to chose the alcohol package.

My favorite most important issue was actually on my first cruise - we went to Belize, Honduras, the Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel.  There was someone on our cruise who had sailed that exact cruise  15 times earlier because there are golf excursions in each port he loved.  He lived near Tampa so whenever a last minute cheap deal was available he'd hop on the cruise to golf.   He was pissed on my cruise since the shore excursion to two golf places were cancelled due to low enrollment, but usually it's a win-win for him and the cruise line that he loved his golf cruise.

For the itinerary people, this was the most recent thread on the itinerary changes: 

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 6:09 AM, graphicguy said:

Must be some sort of reg or agreement with the local port authorities.  We don’t have those sorts of restrictions in U.S., Mexico or Caribbean ports.

I have been in ports on the West Coast that limit the number of bars the ship can open while docked, but never a complete prohibition.

4 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes, they need cash very, very badly to service staggering amounts of debts from Corona. Look at their recent financials and recent stock price.

No, they couldn't care less about their customers. They've proven that over and again throughout the years on a myriad of issue. Less than 10% of the general population has taken a cruise. NCL can continue to deceptively market to unsuspecting customers by charging them for a service that they can not provide and then not offering a refund. It is the equivalent of theft and stealing, but there are lots of unsuspecting newbies that are prime targets. 

This is why we only do business with NCL at very last minute, bargain basement rates. This way we don't have to worry (for the most part) about itinerary changes, shortened port calls, changes to beverage offerings, etc. Plus, when they pull recurring, unethical stunts, we don't have a ton of money tied up with them and have the protection of our credit card company should a dispute arise. Often times, we have taken the cruise vacation before the payment to the card company is due.

I'm actually quite sad that NCL has some nice cruises with great itineraries out of our homeport (NY/NJ).  I just don't know if they will keep the itinerary and would hate to pay to go on another cruise in which they pull a bait-and switch with the itinerary.   You have a really good plan here.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

im sorry, im slighty confused. let me get this straight! the op is upset because while he's in the port of southampton he cant get a drink on board. is it so horrible that one needs to complain about this for a few hours prior to sailing? is it a life threatening emergency that you cant get a drink as soon as you set foot on the ship. since they offer the drink package ( which causes me to drink more per day then i normally would) i dont recognize this as a problem. even if i didnt get the drink package, i'm pretty sure i could wait a few hours. maybe take a nap before the ship sails, maybe make whatever restaurant and show reservations i need.

come on. is this really a major issue for you?

by the way chiefmate jrk. im still holding a Guiness for you

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, complawyer said:

im sorry, im slighty confused. let me get this straight! the op is upset because while he's in the port of southampton he cant get a drink on board. is it so horrible that one needs to complain about this for a few hours prior to sailing? is it a life threatening emergency that you cant get a drink as soon as you set foot on the ship. since they offer the drink package ( which causes me to drink more per day then i normally would) i dont recognize this as a problem. even if i didnt get the drink package, i'm pretty sure i could wait a few hours. maybe take a nap before the ship sails, maybe make whatever restaurant and show reservations i need.

I think the OP is on  a cruise of the U.K., and is concerned that they won't be able to drink for most of the cruise even though they paid the taxes and fees on the drink package.  We won't know how many ports ae affected until the end of the cruise, but alcohol was just cancelled 4 hours ago for tomorrow's port (Belfast).  Other people have mentioned in this thread about getting extra drinks whenever they are available and saving them for ports where you can't get drinks, which I guess might be an option if the ship goes to international waters in between stops, but even then it's going to be a bit inconvenient since the bars will be packed whenever they open.  

Edited by kitkat343

well, if this is true, im also screwed. while i certainly dont mind waiting for the ship to sail, we're booked on the july 27 ncl dawn from southampton through ireland and scotland.  not being able to get my champagne, ice cold heineken or a mojito will p**s me off major league>

5 minutes ago, complawyer said:

Yikes!! Sounds like my lawyer isn't going to take the case.  Oh well, we'll get that drink later (or SOONER! 🤣).  @ChiefMateJRK is currently working on his B2B London loophole.😎

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

Yes, you are confused.

This isn’t about not being able to get a drink as soon as they board. It is about not being able to get a glass of wine with your meal in ports where the ship sails later (which are relatively common in some of these itineraries). It’s about NCL charging for people to upgrade to Premium plus and then not providing the service for significant  periods of time.

And it’s about NCL lying to its customers about the reasons.

It’s a very major issue.

• Like 17

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

im sorry, im slighty confused. let me get this straight! the op is upset because while he's in the port of southampton he cant get a drink on board.

Yeah, you are confused, but no need to apologize. No one that I know is upset because they can't drink on board in Southampton. They are upset because they paid money and/or service charges in advance to NCL in exchange for the ability to drink alcohol on the ship in Southampton. However,  when the ship arrived in Southampton (and in multiple other ports on multiple days), the OP has been unable to obtain the alcohol that was paid for. NCL has cited port rules and regulations and to date has not offered a pro rated refund of beverage package charges and/or service charges. They've effectively marketed and charged passengers for alcohol (unlimited open bar) but failed to take the necessary steps with the local port to ensure they can actually serve said alcohol (unlimited open bar).  I hope that clarifies your confusion.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yikes!! Sounds like my lawyer isn't going to take the case.  Oh well, we'll get that drink later (or SOONER! 🤣).  @ChiefMateJRK is currently working on his B2B London loophole.😎

Candidly, it is a pretty weak case as evidenced by the comments in this thread. Good lawyers must always weigh hazards of litigation and likelihood of success when deciding whether or not accept or decline new work. You might start stockpiling multiple water bottles. 

This is a major issue for those of us who paid for premium plus.  Dinner at Cagneys started at 8:00 pm, without wine.  It picked up at 8:42 when they began serving wine.  NCL dining slots are limited and you cannot just change dining time in the fly like this.  We received no advance notice about the alcohol limitation.  Still uncertain as to which ports are affected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

The 'problem' is NCL are lying......to their customers, and also to their staff. There is no such restriction in place stopping them fulfilling what customers have paid for.

What next? Will they decide not to serve food until they've sailed and blame that on the UK government?

• Like 7

For those who struggle to understand why some people are bothered about a few alcoholic drinks, try some analogies.

You choose and pay for a particular cabin. When you board, you find you have been allocated a worse one because the port authorities are now organising all the cabin allocations. No refund.

You book a special excursion, but then NCL don't run it because the port wouldn't let them. No refund.

You order some flowers to be delivered to your cabin for your anniversary. No flowers are delivered because the port authorities have banned flowers on board. No refund.

Would any of those analogies send you down to Guest Relations? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

The op is making people aware that NCL have changed their policy on serving alcohol in uk waters. It is not just embarkation day at Southampton (which on May 11th bars didn't open until around 9pm). Some of NCL itineraries are very uk port heavy, I belive some are around 6 uk ports in 10 days. People on these cruises will have purchased beverage packs that can hardly be used especially when bars aren't opening until well into the evening. So yes this would be a major issue for some.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

“Absorb“ really just means pass along to paying customers. Which I’m fine with.
I don’t fully understand a need to continually adjust menus but I’ll take your word for it. 
Would it be more manageable if, while in port, they just served alcohol to those who pre-purchased beverage packages?

This is what happened on the Gem last week.  Leaving Trieste and then until 9.30 pm at another port (can’t recall which) we were told only those with beverage packages would be served alcohol.  

But whatever is happening in each port people really do need to know.  For me one of the motivations for going on a cruise is that I can travel around without having to worry about drinking and driving.  I am relying on the Captain to stay sober and ferry me around.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1