No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

32 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Ha ha no hiding behind regulations then if your sister brands have no problems 🤣

Didn’t stop them last year when NCL had two ships in Santorini, one serving and one not.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, graphicguy said:

There's just something about this whole thread that feels like there's something missing in all of this.  I can't imagine NCL stating "it's the law" and then dropping it.  There's something more to it, I'm thinking.

Again, what did NCL state when you asked to have your bill adjusted?

You queue up for long time to be told they can’t do anything you need to contact office in Miami. They give you a card with an email address. Surprise surprise - nobody gets a response. I read that some people have made contact on phone or on line chat and are told you need to take it up with customer services on board nothing to do with the office. We all now know NCL blatantly lie. I don’t expect to get any apology or compensation. We’re just going to vote with our feet and never use NCL again. We had intended booking future cruises while on board but not now

Edited by Colin L
Word missing
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Colin L said:

You queue up for long time to be told they can’t do anything you need to contact office in Miami. They give you a card with an email address. Surprise surprise - nobody gets a response. I read that some people have made contact on phone or on line chat and are told you need to take it up with customer services on board nothing to do with the office. We all now know NCL. I don’t expect to get any apology or compensation. We’re just going to vote with our feet and never use NCL again. We had intended booking future cruises while on board but not now

Sadly not surprised. It is what I was saying earlier about a true disconnect between crew and Shoreside offices.....they just don't communicate and it's the poor crew in Guest Services that get yelled at and they have zero power to fix things. At that point the last resort onboard is to speak with the Hotel Director who is over Food & Beverage and Guest Services. But talk to him/her IN PERSON and document everything said to report later.

Hey Guys

You must talk with your feet! I have a NCL Cruise in June, if I experience those issues with "Closed" bars and no Cocktails it will be my 3th and last Cruise with NCL.

I have Cruised with P&O, RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival so next time they will get my money. 

Edited by Krydstosser
  • Like 8

33 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

Sadly not surprised. It is what I was saying earlier about a true disconnect between crew and Shoreside offices.....they just don't communicate and it's the poor crew in Guest Services that get yelled at and they have zero power to fix things. At that point the last resort onboard is to speak with the Hotel Director who is over Food & Beverage and Guest Services. But talk to him/her IN PERSON and document everything said to report later.

All the officers and managers are in hiding refusing to talk to anyone 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Colin L said:

All the officers and managers are in hiding refusing to talk to anyone 

Being former crew on a few lines.....I have no doubt!!!!! That truly means corporate shoreside has made these decisions and left the crew high and dry to deal with the fallout. Sad.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, flamingo_fancies said:

That's strange that you couldn't have your platinum bottle. I just saw this on a NCL Dawn FB group  someone got a response from NCL saying guests with Pre-paid beverage packs would be served. 

Screenshot_20230515_232944.jpg

The first sentence of paragraph 2 does not seem to answer what was being asked.  This is about  duty-free sales which is not the question.  At this point it is about being able to use the drink package.  It is up to ncl whether and how they legally pay the duty.  

When we were in Trieste the pre-purchased beverage package was served. It was the pay as you go cruisers who had to go without alcohol.  There were not many I think.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:

Hey Guys

You must talk with your feet! I have a NCL Cruise in June, if I experience those issues with "Closed" bars and no Cocktails it will be my 3th and last Cruise with NCL.

I have Cruised with P&O, RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival so next time they will get my money. 

Yes, exactly. To that end, we just placed a refundable deposit on Emerald Princess for our fall cruise. In fairness,  it is a Caribbean run where NCLs drink packages have worked in the past, too. But, we just aren't comfortable doing business with NCL at this time. Too many problems with itinerary changes, last minute port cancellations, taxes fees surcharges, and top level mgmt changes. We don't know what we are buying when we buy an NCL cruise. NCL won't miss us. Well, time to pop over to the Princess boards for a little. Everyone have a good day and especially those onboard over in Europe dealing with this very unfortunate issue.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

When we were in Trieste the pre-purchased beverage package was served. It was the pay as you go cruisers who had to go without alcohol.  There were not many I think.  

Was it ALL the Free at Sea people that could use the package or just the ones that bought the premium PLUS package? Also, do you know if anyone who had brought on their own wines could use them? Thanks

1 minute ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes, exactly. To that end, we just placed a refundable deposit on Emerald Princess for our fall cruise. In fairness,  it is a Caribbean run where NCLs drink packages have worked in the past, too. But, we just aren't comfortable doing business with NCL at this time. Too many problems with itinerary changes, last minute port cancellations, taxes fees surcharges, and top level mgmt changes. We don't know what we are buying when we buy an NCL cruise. NCL won't miss us. Well, time to pop over to the Princess boards for a little. Everyone have a good day and especially those onboard over in Europe dealing with this very unfortunate issue.

We have LOVED our times on Princess.....you will enjoy them. NCL may not miss you but I'm sure your fellow cruisers will.

1 minute ago, SakeDad said:

Was it ALL the Free at Sea people that could use the package or just the ones that bought the premium PLUS package? Also, do you know if anyone who had brought on their own wines could use them? Thanks

Look at this from Livorno 

16832934351025950683324372860315.jpg.8753a71aec5753d2b8c9e5889f469372.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

My understanding from Greece is that they are serving anyone with any package (but I assume not anything that isn’t fully covered - drinks at over $15 with the basic package for example).

I also believe that people are allowed to consume wine they bring aboard.

I think that Trieste was operating the same rules as Greece.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

On NLC ships in the UK, nobody can drink when leaving from ports, with or without the drinks package, as NCL are basically refusing to cover the cost of the duty, and their business model this year seems to be to recharge these costs to the passengers - which is what they are doing in other locations, including places where they didn't previously, eg, 25% surcharge in Brazil. It would appear there is something in UK law that is preventing them from carrying out THIS practice on these ships. There is no problem actually providing the alcohol as all other lines are happily doing, the problem is solely in paying the duty. Not sure if other cruise lines charge extra surcharges elsewhere? 

The HMRC guidance posted earlier seems to be that if you leave a UK port and go to the non-UK port you can serve alcohol immediately you leave the berth, but if you're going to another UK port you cannot while in UK waters. So when Star left Southampton 11 May to go to Waterford she should have been able to serve alcohol straight away, but didn't until around 9.30pm. NCL are not telling the whole truth about this, and aren't even following the correct policy.

• Like 8

Further to SouthamptonCruiseFan's post above, this link may provide some information, if someone has the time to go through it.  (Apologies if I am posting irrelevant nonsense, but it looks relevant). To me it seems that this must be interpretational between the lines, or as SouthamptonCruiseFan said, a deliberate decision by NCL not to pay duty.  Either way, NCL should not hide behind "UK customs rules" - it's a lie hiding behind a truth - yes, it's because of UK customs, but ONLY because NCL doesn't want to fix the issue, unlike other lines.  Some screenshots below, but best to read the website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-69a-duty-free-ships-stores/excise-notice-69a-duty-free-ships-stores

uk customs.png

uk customs2.png

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

On NLC ships in the UK, nobody can drink when leaving from ports, with or without the drinks package, as NCL are basically refusing to cover the cost of the duty, and their business model this year seems to be to recharge these costs to the passengers - which is what they are doing in other locations, including places where they didn't previously, eg, 25% surcharge in Brazil. It would appear there is something in UK law that is preventing them from carrying out THIS practice on these ships. There is no problem actually providing the alcohol as all other lines are happily doing, the problem is solely in paying the duty. Not sure if other cruise lines charge extra surcharges elsewhere? 

The HMRC guidance posted earlier seems to be that if you leave a UK port and go to the non-UK port you can serve alcohol immediately you leave the berth, but if you're going to another UK port you cannot while in UK waters. So when Star left Southampton 11 May to go to Waterford she should have been able to serve alcohol straight away, but didn't until around 9.30pm. NCL are not telling the whole truth about this, and aren't even following the correct policy.

What about the restrictions in Livorno and Civitavecchia with only Beer and wine? And other Cruiselines have no issues in those ports? 

16832934351025950683324372860315.jpg.8753a71aec5753d2b8c9e5889f469372.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Further to SouthamptonCruiseFan's post above, this link may provide some information, if someone has the time to go through it.  (Apologies if I am posting irrelevant nonsense, but it looks relevant). To me it seems that this must be interpretational between the lines, or as SouthamptonCruiseFan said, a deliberate decision by NCL not to pay duty.  Either way, NCL should not hide behind "UK customs rules" - it's a lie hiding behind a truth - yes, it's because of UK customs, but ONLY because NCL doesn't want to fix the issue, unlike other lines.  Some screenshots below, but best to read the website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-69a-duty-free-ships-stores/excise-notice-69a-duty-free-ships-stores

uk customs.png

uk customs2.png

All of that suggest that there wouldn’t be an duty to pay, since all the sailings meet the criteria of an entitled journey, they’re not only serving UK ports, they’re not embarking/disembarking at other UK ports… so what else could be causing the problems 🤔

suggests either NCL or less likely the port agent, are misunderstand the rules - which haven’t changed. 

Edited by Greener123
  • Like 1

So I've had my response to my email sent last week questioning the new policy. 

Norwegian Star, 5/11/2023

Thank you for writing and choosing Norwegian Cruise

Line for your vacation at sea.

Please be advised that in accordance with the laws

and regulations of select ports, the sale of duty-free

goods including alcohol beverages is not permitted

while the vessel is in port or proximity thereof.

However, in certain ports of call which will be specified

onboard, guests who have pre-purchased any of NCL’s

beverage packages may be served.  Thank you for your

understanding.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your

concerns.

I have however gone back to question
the statement of

"However, in certain ports of call which
will be specified onboard, guests who
have pre-purchased any of NCL’s
beverage packages may be served"

I have read this to mean that guest who
have pre-purchased a beverage pack
will not know what ports they can
actually use it in until actually onboard
the vessel.

I have received my response to this query
and it seem like my initial email is the
company line and they are not willing to
discuss it further.

Screenshot_20230516_121910.jpg

• Like 2

Just got off the phone with NCL and have been informed that those with drinks packages on the Star leaving Southampton next week will be served alcohol. Not sure whether that is correct or not but we shall see.

One  of the main concerns about this is that NCL will spend a lot of time when we are on board trying to sell us deals for Future cruises. It is my opinion that these must be avoided completely because it seems NCL are moving the goalposts so often you may get a poor deal. We will still take a little something inboard to ‘toast’ our holiday but it does grate………

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

understanding.

concerns.

the statement of

the vessel.

discuss it further.

How arrogant can they be?? This answer is not acceptable! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

understanding.

concerns.

the statement of

the vessel.

discuss it further.

That subsequent response is shocking, but perhaps shows a 'company line' is being rapidly enforced. Hopefully means they are closing ranks with a view to addressing the issue.

• Like 3

It’s basically word for word the response I got yesterday morning, and a few others have posted here and elsewhere. 

someone else did post a conversation with an PCC and they even suggested the rules and regulations could differ between lines and even ships within the same line… madness 

Edited by Greener123

5 hours ago, Greener123 said:

While reading all the comments being posted pretty much everywhere about this, someone mentioned a chat with the bar staff in Livorno - they were told there was a change in the laws saying that the ships could only serve “hard” alcohol I.e spirits, if they were purchased in Italy - since NCL don’t purchase any spirits in Italy they can’t serve anything. 

As with all the other issues I’ve not seen any other cruise lines have these restrictions in Italy - particularly Livorno, and I bet they don’t all stock up heavily while in Italian ports? Do other lines also charge extra taxes while in Spain, there’s a lot of ships going in and out of Barcelona every day - We’d definitely have heard about it if there was 

I don’t think that is correct.,it’s only overnight stops that are limited to beer and wine so far. My friend was on a cruise of these ports this past week. He has the drink package.Beer and wine in Livorno. (Overnight port) Hard liquor  in Civitavecchia which was just a day stop. If that law change you mentioned is true wouldn’t it be every port in Italy? We were on a couple of weeks ago and our bartenders told us it would be only beer and wine in all overnight ports this summer. There are upcoming cruises with overnights in Livorno,Civitavecchia and Barcelona. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

understanding.

concerns.

the statement of

the vessel.

discuss it further.

But we had the drinks package on the Dawn last week and still could not get served in either Southampton or Portland.  They're just making things up as they go along aren't they!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SakeDad said:

All the Free at Sea cruisers which I think was the majority.  I have no idea whether or not folk were using their own wine, I did not notice any bottles being used.    TBH I did not realise that you could bring alcohol on board until reading through the comments here  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pooston said:

But we had the drinks package on the Dawn last week and still could not get served in either Southampton or Portland.  They're just making things up as they go along aren't they!!

Absolutely making it up.  You were not asking for duty-free beverage.  You were asking for a drink that had had duty paid on it.  

• Like 1