No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not sure someone can claim it's definitely NCL's fault when this clearly says its due to local UK customs and border restrictions. 🤷‍♂️ BTW this is a good reason to bring your own stuff onboard and drink it wherever you like. 😊

I actually didn't say that. However, as you ask, I do suspect it is NCLs fault. There is a track record of them having issues/disputes over payment of taxes. As was the case in Athens a year ago when some NCL ships served alcohol while others did not.

And that excuse of boarder restrictions is nonsense in the UK, as it was in Athens. There may be restrictions but I am pretty certain it's of their making.

• Like 6

I think that people are misunderstanding what we mean when we say that this is an NCL thing.

I do not believe that NCL are just making things up. There is clearly something happening involving the ports.

However, in the last year there have been problems with drink service in Greece and Gibraltar and there are current issues in the UK and Italy. Only on NCL ships. It isn’t a case of people onboard not reporting, as a considerable time has passed since the Greece issues for example. I spent quite a bit of time on various other boards to look for any problems on other ships and found nothing, despite asking questions. Someone (I think on this thread) said they saw a report from another ship mentioning their wine at lunch in Southampton.

Do people seriously believe that if other lines were to have these problems then nobody would have mentioned it at all? The NCL board is really no different to other lines on cruise critic for peoples speed to complain.

This may not be of NCLs making, but it is extremely clear that it is a problem that is affecting them more than any other line, and I’ve not seen any evidence to say that it isn’t only affecting them.

That makes it an NCL thing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Perhaps some clever person onboard the ship could ask someone in charge what the relevant rule/regulation/restriction is, because the reality is, all of us on Cruise Critic can conjecture until the cows come home, but none of us (including me) can know 100% what the reason is, because we're not there.

People tried asking last year and they ain’t telling.

Speculation is all we have. 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I actually didn't say that. However, as you ask, I do suspect it is NCLs fault. There is a track record of them having issues/disputes over payment of taxes. As was the case in Athens a year ago when some NCL ships served alcohol while others did not.

And that excuse of boarder restrictions is nonsense in the UK, as it was in Athens. There may be restrictions but I am pretty certain it's of their making.

OK, well that's where you and I differ. If NCL says a local rule prevents them from serving certain beverages, I believe them and you do not. No hard feelings, but you and I disagree, which is fine. 👍🙂 I have to say, and again this is just MY view, that being disallowed alcohol for one day would absolutely not ruin or diminish my cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I think that people are misunderstanding what we mean when we say that this is an NCL thing.

I do not believe that NCL are just making things up. There is clearly something happening involving the ports.

However, in the last year there have been problems with drink service in Greece and Gibraltar and there are current issues in the UK and Italy. Only on NCL ships. It isn’t a case of people onboard not reporting, as a considerable time has passed since the Greece issues for example. I spent quite a bit of time on various other boards to look for any problems on other ships and found nothing, despite asking questions. Someone (I think on this thread) said they saw a report from another ship mentioning their wine at lunch in Southampton.

Do people seriously believe that if other lines were to have these problems then nobody would have mentioned it at all? The NCL board is really no different to other lines on cruise critic for peoples speed to complain.

This may not be of NCLs making, but it is extremely clear that it is a problem that is affecting them more than any other line, and I’ve not seen any evidence to say that it isn’t only affecting them.

That makes it an NCL thing.

That's one interpretation, but only one. You are entitled to interpret the lack of information as "proof" that this is NCL's doing; I do not. I don't know what it is about this website that makes people so determined to have everyone agree with them. It's simply a matter of "I don't think it's only NCL" and you do. At any rate, neither of us is even ON this sailing, so what difference does it even make?

• Haha 2

This happened on the Dawn at the start of their current sailing. It appears both of these NCL ships arrived in Southampton from EU counties (France and Germany). Could this be an issue related to taxes/duties on supplies brought aboard there and NCL choosing to not pay the UK?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, well that's where you and I differ. If NCL says a local rule prevents them from serving certain beverages, I believe them and you do not. No hard feelings, but you and I disagree, which is fine. 👍🙂 I have to say, and again this is just MY view, that being disallowed alcohol for one day would absolutely not ruin or diminish my cruise.

I wasn't allowed to buy a soft drink on NCL Jade when it was docked in Rhodes in March.  I didn't have a drinks package because I don't drink alcohol so it's not worth it for me.  They wouldn't allow me to make a purchase of a fruit juice.  Very odd.

Even if NCL is "making up" the whole thing because, as some have suggested, they just want to avoid paying a tax, OK, so what? What are you gonna do about it? Boycott the line? Threaten to sue? Maybe someone can enlighten me, but exactly what purpose is served by complaining on Cruise Critic?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's one interpretation, but only one. You are entitled to interpret the lack of information as "proof" that this is NCL's doing; I do not. I don't know what it is about this website that makes people so determined to have everyone agree with them. It's simply a matter of "I don't think it's only NCL" and you do. At any rate, neither of us is even ON this sailing, so what difference does it even make?

Let’s be clear on a few things. I’m absolutely fine for people to disagree with me, I was just clarifying what I means by it being an NCL thing. 

And once again, I’m not saying that this is “NCLs doing”. I’m saying that it is something that is happening on NCL ships and there is no evidence that it is happening on any other line. That doesn’t make it “NCLs doing”.

I will just say though that it my opinion (which anyone is of course free to disagree with) is that there is not a chance in hell that this is happening in other lines and nobody has thought to mention it on cruise critic.

• Like 9

This seems to happen at the very beginning of sailings when NCL ships move and start sailing on a new itinerary. Was the same last year I seen in greece with the new itinerary's and then fixed a few weeks in.

I think NCL must have to fill out forms or do something, and obviously they haven't done it yet, but probably in a few weeks they will sort it out and then it will be back to normal. They obviously aren't prepared and do it all late.

Edited by gregluk
  • Like 3

It’ll be interesting to see what happens on Sunday with Dawn docked in Southampton with Anthem of the seas at the next birth, Arvia and Arcadia both in on the same day. See if there similar tales on any of those ships - due to customs and border restrictions. 

there’s no way any other line/ship/sailing would have had this issue and it not have been mentioned anywhere. 

• Like 2

I follow a number of YouTube cruise influencers, and one couple posted recently about an altercation onboard the Celebrity Apex. Yet when I looked on the Celebrity Cruise Critic pages, there was nothing, and this happened last week. But I'm glad to hear @KeithJenner say he's OK with people having other opinions. It didn't come across that way earlier.

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

But I'm glad to hear @KeithJenner say he's OK with people having other opinions. It didn't come across that way earlier.

Not this again.

I was just clarifying what I was saying. If you read anything else into it then that really is on you.

It actually seems like it may be you that is struggling with people disagreeing. I am just stating my opinion and you don';t seem to like me doing so.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Just now, KeithJenner said:

Not this again.

I was just clarifying what I was saying. If you read anything else into it then that really is on you.

I guess I'm a little sensitive due to the fact I got shouted down yesterday by several people on a related thread having to do with the NCL Epic in Italy. I can't even ask a question without several people going ballistic and accusing me of shilling for the cruise line. I apologize if that spilled over into this thread.

• Like 4

I know nothing.  That said, I think those who are suggesting that NCL may have been caught is some bureaucratic trap are likely onto something.  Somebody failed to submit a form on time.  Some Government agency failed to grant timely response/approval.  Some strange tax restraint exists regarding where the items being "sold" were purchased.  Who knows?  We'll likely have better insight after a few weeks of this have passed.  Either other lines will follow suit or NCL will allow the booze to flow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I know nothing.  That said, I think those who are suggesting that NCL may have been caught is some bureaucratic trap are likely onto something.  Somebody failed to submit a form on time.  Some Government agency failed to grant timely response/approval.  Some strange tax restraint exists regarding where the items being "sold" were purchased.  Who knows?  We'll likely have better insight after a few weeks of this have passed.  Either other lines will follow suit or NCL will allow the booze to flow.

The issue with the bureaucratic mix up thing is that they really need to get their act together. Once is excusable, but 4 times suggests that there is a problem that really needs resolving.

• Like 4

Well something is not being comunicated correctly. This was my chat with NCL just now ( we have a Med cruise coming up so I am interested in this topic)

Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:16 PM): Hello laurie. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Megan. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:23 PM): How may I assist you today, Laurie? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:47:23 PM): Hello, I have been reading some information on a cruise board that says NCL is not serving or selling alcohol in the UK ports and some Italy ports. Is this correct? 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:48:28 PM): One moment while I find out for sure. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:14 PM): That is incorrect we serve alcohol in all ports of call. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:30 PM): I just wanted to double check that nothing had changed, and I did confirm this. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:37 PM): Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:07 PM): huh.. someone posted a picture of a sign that said due to southhampton laws they could not serve or sell alcohol. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:25 PM): I completely understand but I did confirm that there are currently no port limitations on where we can serve alcohol. 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:40 PM): Thank you. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:46 PM): You're welcome.  Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:53:01 PM): all is good thanks 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Save it and bring it. I have a European cruise in a few months. If this occurs will ask for prorated refund or take nuclear option that will puss many off but will not be the loser, deduct from service charge and tell them why

• Like 4

This is evidently the newest NCL bait and switch tactic. They advertise and charge customers full price for unlimited open bar and then put signs up at each bar saying they are unable to deliver the unlimited open bar in the name of customs and border laws. They don't offer a partial refund due to the customs and border laws. So, they end up charging passengers for a service not delivered. Talk about fraud and breaking the law. Wow!! 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, twoznuff2 said:

Well something is not being comunicated correctly. This was my chat with NCL just now ( we have a Med cruise coming up so I am interested in this topic)

Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:16 PM): Hello laurie. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Megan. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:23 PM): How may I assist you today, Laurie? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:47:23 PM): Hello, I have been reading some information on a cruise board that says NCL is not serving or selling alcohol in the UK ports and some Italy ports. Is this correct? 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:48:28 PM): One moment while I find out for sure. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:14 PM): That is incorrect we serve alcohol in all ports of call. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:30 PM): I just wanted to double check that nothing had changed, and I did confirm this. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:37 PM): Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:07 PM): huh.. someone posted a picture of a sign that said due to southhampton laws they could not serve or sell alcohol. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:25 PM): I completely understand but I did confirm that there are currently no port limitations on where we can serve alcohol. 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:40 PM): Thank you. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:46 PM): You're welcome.  Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:53:01 PM): all is good thanks 

Wow. That is an eye-opening chat, filled with misrepresentations. NCLs legal department is probably very busy right about now.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 3

This may be the most productive NCL thread in weeks.  If anybody else does a phone call or chat, it wouldn't hurt to specifically mention cruise critic.  Based upon the number of officers that showed up to our recent CC meet and greet, it is clear that NCL understands the value of a good reputation on cruise critic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This would be my guess, too. It could be a combination of NCL not knowing AND some random bureaucratic mumbo jumbo that wasn't communicated to the cruise line until the last minute. Never underestimate the power of bureaucracy! LOL Incidentally, when we cruised in Italy in August 2021, there was a requirement by the Italian government that any passengers who passed through the UK on their way had to quarantine for 5 days, even us, who had a layover in Heathrow for like an hour and a half. Fortunately, I called the airline and was able to change our flights, but I certainly wasn't told anything by the cruise line (not NCL, mind you).

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1