No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

12 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

This would be my guess, too. It could be a combination of NCL not knowing AND some random bureaucratic mumbo jumbo that wasn't communicated to the cruise line until the last minute. Never underestimate the power of bureaucracy! LOL Incidentally, when we cruised in Italy in August 2021, there was a requirement by the Italian government that any passengers who passed through the UK on their way had to quarantine for 5 days, even us, who had a layover in Heathrow for like an hour and a half. Fortunately, I called the airline and was able to change our flights, but I certainly wasn't told anything by the cruise line (not NCL, mind you).

Been doing lots of guessing while OP is on ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Over the past 15 months or so, I've been lucky enough to have taken six cruises sailing out of Southampton: 2 x P&O, 2 x MSC, 1 x Celebrity and one on the NCL Norwegian Star itself last Autumn. My most recent cruise was on P&O Arvia just 3 weeks ago.

There was no restriction on alcohol sales/servings on any of those cruises.

I'm due to sail on Norwegian Star again soon, on one of the round Ireland cruises and I have bought the 'Free at Sea' package.

I feel really annoyed about this, on principle.

It isn't a question of how much alcohol I can consume in UK ports - I just feel there is some dishonesty or serious misunderstanding on NCL's part.

In the (unlikely?) event that  there is some brand new change in UK law that has come into force in the last 3 weeks (!!!)  then NCL should be able to explain exactly what that change is, when it came into force etc etc.

Welcome to CC.

At least they didn't blame it on the weather.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Even if NCL is "making up" the whole thing because, as some have suggested, they just want to avoid paying a tax, OK, so what? What are you gonna do about it? Boycott the line? Threaten to sue? Maybe someone can enlighten me, but exactly what purpose is served by complaining on Cruise Critic?

Plenty of "purpose served" for those of us with European cruises in the near future that may be affected.  We are cruising soon but still have time to cancel our drink package, which cannot be done once on board.  This would save us hundreds of dollars.  Our itinerary is very port heavy so I was on the fence about paying for the drink package to begin with.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Plenty of "purpose served" for those of us with European cruises in the near future that may be affected.  We are cruising soon but still have time to cancel our drink package, which cannot be done once on board.  This would save us hundreds of dollars.  Our itinerary is very port heavy so I was on the fence about paying for the drink package to begin with.

If it's that important to you and, what's more, if you are that worried about your drink package being honored, then you should cancel it. I personally have NO intention of canceling mine, because I consider the possibility of it being worthless as close to 0%. I have sailed on more than 10 cruises and not once was I denied a drink, so I don't expect that to change. But again, if you don't think it's worth the risk, cancel and get your money back.

I took a wander over to the British Isles port of call forum to see if there were any discussion about this. Not a lot. Just one thread that I found. Similar to what is being reported here, it seems NCL is the only line not serving in Southampton, but the thread is only one page, with limited responses. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Perhaps some clever person onboard the ship could ask someone in charge what the relevant rule/regulation/restriction is, because the reality is, all of us on Cruise Critic can conjecture until the cows come home, but none of us (including me) can know 100% what the reason is, because we're not there.

Brilliant idea!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

This is evidently the newest NCL bait and switch tactic. They advertise and charge customers full price for unlimited open bar and then put signs up at each bar saying they are unable to deliver the unlimited open bar in the name of customs and border laws. They don't offer a partial refund due to the customs and border laws. So, they end up charging passengers for a service not delivered. Talk about fraud and breaking the law. Wow!! 

I sincerely doubt anyone is paying full price for the UBP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I sincerely doubt anyone is paying full price for the UBP.

Whether or not anyone is or isn't paying is irrelevant to the issue at hand.  If they were, NCL would have no problem charging the $109 per person per day, just like they are doing with the service charges for the "free" beverage package, and then changing the offering. Is it your position that as long as no one is paying full price it is ok to advertise something and then not deliver?

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Whether or not anyone is or isn't paying is irrelevant to the issue at hand.  If they were, NCL would have no problem charging the $109 per person per day, just like they are doing with the service charges for the "free" beverage package, and then changing the offering. Is it your position that as long as no one is paying full price it is ok to advertise something and then not deliver?

No, but $21 and $109 are different amounts, and no one is paying $109. I’d ask for my $21 back.

• Like 1

So, I hosted the M&M today, the official line on board is that there is a fee to pay to the port authority and Southampton only gave them 2 days notice which was not enough time to make payment.

We were further informed it only affects Southampton and Dover (not on our itinerary).

Make of that what you will but that is the official line onboard ship.

With the above in mind, there "should" be no issue on the next, May 21st cruise as 12 days should be more than enough time to make payment for the next cruise.

We are not anticipating issues in Belfast dispute yesterday being told it was a UK wide issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

After reviewing the Boards from the other Cruise Lines, then why is this same topic not appearing in those other Boards?  It would appear that NCL has a problem with the local authorities.  It would be good to hear from NCL an explanation on why they are being targeted.  NCL is charging us for an all inclusive alcohol program and are not delivering on that program.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

So, I hosted the M&M today, the official line on board is that there is a fee to pay to the port authority and Southampton only gave them 2 days notice which was not enough time to make payment.

We were further informed it only affects Southampton and Dover (not on our itinerary).

With the above in mind, there "should" be no issue on the next, May 21st cruise as 12 days should be more than enough time to make payment for the next cruise.

We are not anticipating issues in Belfast dispute yesterday being told it was a UK wide issue.

Thanks!

Now we know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Interesting. Thank for the update, it's great to get information directly from someone who's on the ship. Thank you again for your reporting, @ziggyuk, and please enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update, ziggy. I'm glad it was addressed at the M&M, although (at the risk of being confrontational) I would have pushed a bit harder. For example, if they were happy to pay the fee but just didn't have time to do it, then why not distribute some of that money to everyone on board now as compensation for Day 1?

Also, you will see for yourself if the problem is resolved when you return to Southampton on disembarkation morning.

• Thanks 2

To me this is just another one of those "accept it and move on" issues. When my wife and I went to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico in 2020, several things were closed due to Covid measures, like the gym and spa, and the specialty restaurants weren't all open. It was a bit disappointing, but we understood and still had a great time. Likewise, if NCL is put in a bind because they weren't given sufficient time to make a payment, I would just "accept it and move on." If others want to play the blame game and think NCL is cheating them, that's beyond my control. But it sure doesn't seem productive to me at all. I'd be interested in knowing from our 'correspondent' @ziggyuk if passengers actually on the ship are as mad as some people here, or if they're taking it in their stride.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Wonder if the issue in Livorno where it's only beer or wine allowed is the same reason as above or something different

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

To me this is just another one of those "accept it and move on" issues. When my wife and I went to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico in 2020, several things were closed due to Covid measures, like the gym and spa, and the specialty restaurants weren't all open. It was a bit disappointing, but we understood and still had a great time. Likewise, if NCL is put in a bind because they weren't given sufficient time to make a payment, I would just "accept it and move on." If others want to play the blame game and think NCL is cheating them, that's beyond my control. But it sure doesn't seem productive to me at all. I'd be interested in knowing from our 'correspondent' @ziggyuk if passengers actually on the ship are as mad as some people here, or if they're taking it in their stride.

I agree with the “accept it and move on” thought, and that is exactly what ziggyuk and we did last year when we couldn’t drink on embarkation day. It has now happened to ziggyuk again, and there were the further issues in Greece after our cruises, plus in Gibraltar and Italy.

I can absolutely understand companies getting caught out once or even twice, but there seems to be something wrong when it happens so many times, especially as the other cruise companies don’t seem to be having the same issues.

Just frustration for people when they should be getting on with enjoying their holidays. I’m sure we can all agree that NCL just need to resolve whatever the problem is that keeps causing this for the sake of their customers.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

When my wife and I went to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico in 2020, several things were closed due to Covid measures, like the gym and spa, and the specialty restaurants weren't all open. It was a bit disappointing, but we understood and still had a great time. 

OK, but if your resort was charging you specific fees per day for the gym, spa, etc., then it would not be unreasonable to expect those to be removed/refunded for however many days those facilities were unavailable to you. In the case at hand, people with beverage packages paid (at least service charges) for each day of the cruise, and for let’s say half a day, NCL was unable to provide that service. It seems appropriate to refund that amount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I agree with the “accept it and move on” thought, and that is exactly what ziggyuk and we did last year when we couldn’t drink on embarkation day. It has now happened to ziggyuk again, and there were the further issues in Greece after our cruises, plus in Gibraltar and Italy.

I can absolutely understand companies getting caught out once or even twice, but there seems to be something wrong when it happens so many times, especially as the other cruise companies don’t seem to be having the same issues.

Just frustration for people when they should be getting on with enjoying their holidays. I’m sure we can all agree that NCL just need to resolve whatever the problem is that keeps causing this for the sake of their customers.

Totally agree with this "move on" attitude as @DCGuy64 says, it was one day and it's over.

we wanted a sail away drink, it didn't happen, we had a meal in Cagney's with friends without wine, bummer but it is what it is.

It is, as you say the second time I have been hit with this which is pretty bad luck but it was one day and we have having a great cruise, it does not spoil anything. Just a shock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'd be interested in knowing from our 'correspondent' @ziggyuk if passengers actually on the ship are as mad as some people here, or if they're taking it in their stride.

Nobody was mad or making a scene, just a lot of frustration, I always think these things can be handled better by just leveling with people.

Putting signs up and leaving staff to explain when they don't really know is not the best approach. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Still lying - the Licensing Act was introduced in 2003, and NCL has been sailing from the UK since that time so they know the requirements. What's happened is that they have ignored their obligations and are now blaming everyone else rather than take responsibility. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

the official line on board is that there is a fee to pay to the port authority and Southampton only gave them 2 days notice which was not enough time to make payment.

thanks for this info; very helpful.

the curmudgeon in me would just like to point out that despite this being the official line, we don't know if it's true. it's the story that NCL is putting out there. it's what they say happened.

i'm sure there is a fee to be paid. given the fact that other cruise lines seem to have had no problem, and given the fact this has been somewhat of a recurring problem for NCL, the part of the story that i think may involve a bit of stretching of the truth is that they were only given two days notice. that just doesn't seem likely. it's far more likely that NCL dropped the ball somehow and have opted to shift blame to the port authority to save face. it's a lot easier to say to your guests, "our hands are tied. the port authority screwed up" than to say " our legal and finance teams screwed up and we can't serve you a  drink because we'd be fined and possibly prevented from using the port again."

also, i don't think this is necessarily the way this works... i doubt the port sends send out invoices. it's far more likely that the cruise line applies and submits paperwork and the required fee.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Nobody was mad or making a scene, just a lot of frustration, I always think these things can be handled better by just leveling with people.

Putting signs up and leaving staff to explain when they don't really know is not the best approach. 

I absolutely agree, frustration is the correct word. We knew in advance on the Jade, but many didn’t and there was real frustration amongst other customers.

We said it last year as well. How you deal with these things can make a big difference, and NCL have never dealt with it well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'd be interested in knowing from our 'correspondent' @ziggyuk if passengers actually on the ship are as mad as some people here, or if they're taking it in their stride.

Better said. You are looking for people to validate date your point of view. That is too bad.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Better said. You are looking for people to validate date your point of view. That is too bad.

And you aren't? Hmm, OK. At the end of the day, this isn't as much about validating one's point of view as it is about getting facts. When people make sweeping generalizations about how they "just know" NCL screwed up, without offering anything of substance (hypotheses and assumptions aren't substance), they're not helpful because they're not factual. What is factual is what our friend @ziggyuk wrote because he's actually on the ship, and what he posted gives a reasonable explanation, from the cruise line. I have nothing to lose either way (and it's not something I take personally, why would I?), but I dislike seeing unproven theories go unchallenged. That's all. Some have suggested that it must be NCL alone who's in the wrong because they haven't seen any other reviews by people on other ships making the same claim. So? Just because people haven't written about it on here, it does not mean it hasn't happened. Even if it is only NCL's problem, it's possible they were the only line not to have received notice until too late. Likely? No, but not impossible.