No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

This will make for great discussion at the Captain Q and A. One can bring on wine if have the beverage package. Wonder if you could "pour your own" so that NCL doesn't break any laws, just a suggestion.  

• Like 1

And, while not condoning it in any way, NCL is hardly the only line to have call center representatives who aren't in the know about something. Have a look at the threads on RCI, Carnival, MSC, etc. It happens everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gregluk said:

This seems to happen at the very beginning of sailings when NCL ships move and start sailing on a new itinerary. Was the same last year I seen in greece with the new itinerary's and then fixed a few weeks in.

I think NCL must have to fill out forms or do something, and obviously they haven't done it yet, but probably in a few weeks they will sort it out and then it will be back to normal. They obviously aren't prepared and do it all late.

As some have said, never underestimate local governments ability to screw things up.

So, if this "seems" to happen when the first sailing after a repositioning....maybe there IS some local regulations.

The easiest one I can think of is "You can't sell liquor here if you didn't buy it from us" regulation.

And it is quite possible that NCL does stock up liquor before a repositioning, saving lots of money.

Where is bourbon (Kentucky), tequila (Mexico), rum (Caribbean) and California wines cheaper?  US or UK?  Can you even buy some of the NCL liquor offerings in the UK? (Like Whistle Pig, or their other high end items.)

So after 1 or 2 cruises, they will have to restock, and then meet the requirement.

Also, this is in the debarkation port.  So maybe 5 hours if you get on first?  2 hours if you get on last?

A customer uprising for 4 hours of a 7 to 10 day cruise?

5 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Also, this is in the debarkation port.  So maybe 5 hours if you get on first?  2 hours if you get on last?

A customer uprising for 4 hours of a 7 to 10 day cruise?

Absolutely.  It's a scientific fact that the first thing 73% of NCL cruisers do when they get on a ship is have that first drink.  Do you really think an uprising is avoidable? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Absolutely.  It's a scientific fact that the first thing 73% of NCL cruisers do when they get on a ship is have that first drink.  Do you really think an uprising is avoidable? 🤣

But I guess if this is just a thing that happens on the first few sailings of a new itinerary, so only affects the first 1 or 2 cruises then there probably won't be much of an outcry about it. Well on that cruise there will be . But as a whole not too much of an issue for NCL in the bigger picture.  But still not great for those people on the first cruise

Edited by gregluk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, twoznuff2 said:

Well something is not being comunicated correctly. This was my chat with NCL just now ( we have a Med cruise coming up so I am interested in this topic)

Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:16 PM): Hello laurie. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Megan. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:23 PM): How may I assist you today, Laurie? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:47:23 PM): Hello, I have been reading some information on a cruise board that says NCL is not serving or selling alcohol in the UK ports and some Italy ports. Is this correct? 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:48:28 PM): One moment while I find out for sure. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:14 PM): That is incorrect we serve alcohol in all ports of call. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:30 PM): I just wanted to double check that nothing had changed, and I did confirm this. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:37 PM): Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:07 PM): huh.. someone posted a picture of a sign that said due to southhampton laws they could not serve or sell alcohol. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:25 PM): I completely understand but I did confirm that there are currently no port limitations on where we can serve alcohol. 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:40 PM): Thank you. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:46 PM): You're welcome.  Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:53:01 PM): all is good thanks 

They said exactly the same last year about Greece.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This may be the most productive NCL thread in weeks.  If anybody else does a phone call or chat, it wouldn't hurt to specifically mention cruise critic.  Based upon the number of officers that showed up to our recent CC meet and greet, it is clear that NCL understands the value of a good reputation on cruise critic.

From memory some phone staff went as far as accusing Cruise Critic posters of lying about this previously, so that message hasn’t got to everyone. 🙂

Is this just happening for Southampton or all the UK ports? 

I certainly hope that this is temporary. Most people like to have that first cocktail before or during sail away. I feel like NCL dropped the ball somewhere along the line in regards to paying taxes or getting a permit to serve alcohol. I really want to know if this is happening with other cruise lines? If not, then I would expect a small amount of onboard credit to make up for it. And for NCL to straighten things out for future sailings.

I would be pissed to find out upon boarding that cocktails would not be available. If they let people know ahead of time they could at least bring their own wine or champagne for sail away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Catchum said:

Not a port thing an NCL thing - there is a report on the Princess Forum of a ship leaving Southampton  April 30, 2023, - May 8, 2023. It starts with a description of the wine ordered with lunch whist in port. No mention of problems on any of the UK centered forums (Fred and P&O UK)

Princess seems to do their drink package differently. IE, on Carnival & NCL we paid tax while in US ports but have never on Princess

This is interesting.

Last week on the Bliss there was weirdness for the 3 hour stop in Victoria. 

Signs stated that only one bar per deck could be open while we were in port, due to Canadian regulations.

Put a damper on the last night since we didn't leave until 11 pm or so and the few open bars were then crowded. Wine with dinner took a long time to arrive because of it.

For Victoria, it actually is a Canadian government regulation that only one bar per deck is allowed in Canadian ports.    So for Canada, it is the Canadian government not NCL.

For other countries, not sure.  We were on Princess last summer and there was full bar service in all Greece ports. 

1 minute ago, Pevil said:

For Victoria, it actually is a Canadian government regulation that only one bar per deck is allowed in Canadian ports.    So for Canada, it is the Canadian government not NCL.

For other countries, not sure.  We were on Princess last summer and there was full bar service in all Greece ports. 

Thank you. Interesting... and dumb lol 

• Like 1

@hawkeyetlse

I'm confident that the passengers won't just take this lying down. See the General Manager? Confront them. See the F&B Manager? Confront them. See the Guest Services Director? Confront them.

Do Not CONFRONT he, she or them; that will get you nowhere.   Talk rationally and pleasantly, learn to complain in a way you will be listened to.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Probably just unsubmitted paperwork on NCL's part.

Maybe NCL is learning that the 9% of shore side staff they let go late last year / early this year did something.

Maybe they sacked them for messing it up last year. 🙂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Even if NCL is "making up" the whole thing because, as some have suggested, they just want to avoid paying a tax, OK, so what? What are you gonna do about it? Boycott the line? Threaten to sue? Maybe someone can enlighten me, but exactly what purpose is served by complaining on Cruise Critic?

I don't believe NCL are "making it up" what I believe is there are paperwork irregularities and they are being economical with the truth blaming local authorities, as this is too common when they start a new route and does not happen with other lines 

In Greece the had one shop serving alcohol and one not.

• Like 2

I honestly don’t think that anyone is suggesting that NCL are making this up.

As for why we are discussing it, well it is something that is affecting NCL and this is a forum about NCL, so discussing it seems appropriate.

Discussing doesn’t necessarily mean complaining. The discussion may even help others to plan and set expectations when they cruise.

This would be a very quiet forum if we didn’t discuss things relating to NCL. 🙂

• Like 6

Wondering if it relates to this https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/17/part/9/crossheading/vessels-vehicles-and-moveable-structures and for some reason NCL does not have the correct licence at present/ have some confusion around what law applies?

See also (in particular the last two paragraphs) https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2008/06/26/Licensing-laws-and-floating-bars

9 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

London Tilbury is subject to the same laws as Southampton.

We boarded Ambassador Ambience last month at Tilbury and drinks were freely available. Ambassador even do overnight dinner and show bookings where they never leave the pier.

NCL have sailed out of UK ports for years, they should know the rules.

NCL have either c**ked up their paperwork or are refusing to pay some licence fee somewhere. As shown upthread, they have previous form for this.

• Like 6

Over the past 15 months or so, I've been lucky enough to have taken six cruises sailing out of Southampton: 2 x P&O, 2 x MSC, 1 x Celebrity and one on the NCL Norwegian Star itself last Autumn. My most recent cruise was on P&O Arvia just 3 weeks ago.

There was no restriction on alcohol sales/servings on any of those cruises.

I'm due to sail on Norwegian Star again soon, on one of the round Ireland cruises and I have bought the 'Free at Sea' package.

I feel really annoyed about this, on principle.

It isn't a question of how much alcohol I can consume in UK ports - I just feel there is some dishonesty or serious misunderstanding on NCL's part.

In the (unlikely?) event that  there is some brand new change in UK law that has come into force in the last 3 weeks (!!!)  then NCL should be able to explain exactly what that change is, when it came into force etc etc.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I certainly hope that this is temporary. Most people like to have that first cocktail before or during sail away. I feel like NCL dropped the ball somewhere along the line in regards to paying taxes or getting a permit to serve alcohol. I really want to know if this is happening with other cruise lines? If not, then I would expect a small amount of onboard credit to make up for it. And for NCL to straighten things out for future sailings.

I would be pissed to find out upon boarding that cocktails would not be available. If they let people know ahead of time they could at least bring their own wine or champagne for sail away.

I’ve been on Princess, MSC and P&O in the last 9 months from Southampton, most recently MSC last month.  No restrictions on the sale of alcohol.  Had wine with Lunch when embarking and cocktails on deck before Sailaway.  This seems to be an NCL “issue”