Money Exchange

Cherber

Help!  I have been checking around at my local banks (Pennsylvania) to exchange USD to XPF with no luck...they do not carry this currency.  We have booked a couple of private tours and they want their fee in their own currency.  Does anyone know what banks carry this currency in the US?  Or should I wait until I get to Tahiti and go to a bank there to exchange? Do I need cash, bank card or credit card? Any help would be appreciated.

Most places will take a credit card.  If they want local currency you can get it at the ATM at the Tahiti airport.  The rate there is about 10% better than the staffed currency exchange counter at the airport.  Wells Fargo in the US can get XPF but the exchange rate is not great.

21 minutes ago, excited balcony said:

We are going to the Cook Islands and I hadn't thought about the two separate currencies - NZD and XPF.  Do most (I know not all) places accept USD?

Only one part time bank on Aitutaki  ... they don't want USD. On Rarotonga it is more likely they will accept USD. Wish I could talk to you but that isn't possible on this page.

For xpf you can get it at ATM's either at the airport or in town if you have any time in Papeete before boarding your ship. Also ATM's on Bora Bora and Moorea, not sure how easy they are to find on the other islands. As someone else commented, if you get 10000 out you will get one big bill so if you need smaller denominations you might take out smaller amounts at a time.