Gratuities on private tours

Squawkman

Four of us booked a private cab through Viator for a 5 hour tour of London (the Viking optional tour was cancelled). We are paying extra for pick up and drop off at the Greenwich pier as it adds an additional 2 hours. When picking the tour, we noticed some said gratuities were not included - others (including ours) don’t mention gratuities. Any thoughts on whether or not we should tip - and if so, how much? TIA

22 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Four of us booked a private cab through Viator for a 5 hour tour of London (the Viking optional tour was cancelled). We are paying extra for pick up and drop off at the Greenwich pier as it adds an additional 2 hours. When picking the tour, we noticed some said gratuities were not included - others (including ours) don’t mention gratuities. Any thoughts on whether or not we should tip - and if so, how much? TIA

Sqwawkman -

That's a great question, because it is England and we've read a lot on Cruise Critic about the English views on tipping.

Hopefully some of our great British posters can share their opinions on this one!

Will follow.

• Like 1

No need to tip, it is not expected. If you want to tip you can do, but most Brits, including me, wouldn't, unless someone went well above and beyond their job requirements. Tour guides and coach drivers are usually well paid. 

Gratuities/tips wouldn't be mentioned as in the UK they are not something that would generally be thought about

• Like 1

I have to say Squarkman, i always tip London cab drivers and don't know anyone who wouldn't. It's standard practise in London, normally between 10 and 15%. I've never taken a black cab tour but would suggest that you offer a tip if you think the driver/guide is good. If they are not, well you've already overpaid and they are not entitled to more.

• Like 2