Will we be disappointed in Carnival after cruising with Celebrity?

19 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We haven’t sailed with Carnival for about 5 years now. We’ve found we liked NCL, Royal and Celebrity better. We are thinking about booking a last minute cruise for next month and for price and itinerary we like Carnival. I’ve heard they have stepped up their game. We’re looking at the Horizon. Is that a nice ship?  

Should be as I was on the sister "Vista" and loved it.   food was good and nice 5 tier cakes at lunch in back of buffet.   Nice music in smaller atrium bar area.   Newer Carnival ships can and do compete with other cruise lines.  Bed was comfy too

16 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

. Our last Carnival cruise was last year on the Mardi Gras and we'll be cruising on her again in two weeks, so obviously we haven't abandoned Carnival completely for Celebrity. They are really two different experiences and there's enough room in our vacation plans for both of them.

great comment.   Nice to try variety of ships.  I do not believe in loyalty to just one cruise line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We haven’t sailed with Carnival for about 5 years now. We’ve found we liked NCL, Royal and Celebrity better. We are thinking about booking a last minute cruise for next month and for price and itinerary we like Carnival. I’ve heard they have stepped up their game. We’re looking at the Horizon. Is that a nice ship?  

I've done vista and dream since covid and agree theh have not stepped up their game. What they do good is still good. Better pizza, fast food and comedy show.

What I didnt like was the new cut of steak which used to be a skirt steak. I tried it once and was all gristle.

What worked for me was doing pay restaurants. JiJis is exceptional and $18. Some prefer the italian. 2 nights I went to the seafood thing in the aft and ordered lobster rolls with butter. Delicious. I did the Japanese and did the let the chef choose and didnt like that, I'd do sushi next time. 

Their pay restaurants are much less expensive than rcl and celebrity..go and take advantage of what they do well. I did the steak house 2 nights, for surf and turf. 

Try the white pizza, my favorite. They make the crust from scratch  .. much better. 

Jijis especially since few ships have this. It's a dont miss for me.

Honestly, if you have an itinerary and a deal you’re willing to book, do it. Especially in the Havana area I think you’ll be fine. Is the service comparable with Celebrity? Probably not. But, that doesn’t mean you won’t have a good time! I’d say go for it. 

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You don't know your Carnival and Celebrity ships. The Horizon and Edge BOTH LAUNCHED IN 2018. The fact that you thought there was a 20 year difference between these 2 ships when they were actually launched the SAME YEAR goes to prove my point that No, ship cabins aren't exactly the same. 

Status quo, 90%+ of the cruising experience is the same regardless of the ship or brand.  That 10% can and will make a huge difference, but some times you need to step back.  We just did our first Disney cruise — it was exceptional in every way, but for the price we paid, we could’ve booked three weeklong cruises with Carnival.

These threads always make me cringe.  One should always book the cruises that appeal most and are within their affordability.  If the piano bar on Carnival isn’t classy enough for one’s liking, they shouldn’t book Carnival.  But know your finances and cut the frequency of your vacations if the price differential is being borrowed, causes you not to put enough money aside (savings, retirement, kids college, etc.).

• Like 2

I've tried to stop comparing Cruise Lines as I get older and looking back I recall the times I had on each cruise.  Most times it was all about the people I met on the trip/ports visited and experience overall.

If you live in a run down apartment and I had a great time at your house, I can't wait to visit again.

If you live in a mansion and I had a miserable time , I won't be back..

Every trip was a different experience.  Some were better than others even on the same cruise line!

Go with what appeals to you and decide for yourself. Above all, Have fun!  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You don't know your Carnival and Celebrity ships. The Horizon and Edge BOTH LAUNCHED IN 2018. The fact that you thought there was a 20 year difference between these 2 ships when they were actually launched the SAME YEAR goes to prove my point that No, ship cabins aren't exactly the same. 

I apologize. You posted a lot of photos from your Pride cruise last year. We were on a few weeks after you, so I had followed your posts. I assumed ithe photo was Pride.

The newest Carnival ship I have been on is Vista, and I don’t honestly remember the bathroom.

Edited by cyntil8ing

16 hours ago, mz-s said:

You should stop taking advice from whoever told you Carnival has stepped up their game, that's for sure.

I will infer from where the OP got their advice and concur that Carnival stepped up their game with the introduction of the two ships of the Excel Class.  It's a step up over the rest of the fleet with the sole exception of the Havana area, which is where the OP will be staying.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

great comment.   Nice to try variety of ships.  I do not believe in loyalty to just one cruise line.

Could not agree more.  This year we will be cruising on Carnival, NCL, RCI, Princess, MSC and Celebrity embarking from Miami, Port Canaveral, Bayonne, Vancouver, Brooklyn & Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

I apologize. You posted a lot of photos from your Pride cruise last year. We were on a few weeks after you, so I had followed your posts. I assumed ithe photo was Pride.

The newest Carnival ship I have been on is Vista, and I don’t honestly remember the bathroom.

No worries. I think we're all trying to give the OP advice.

While I somewhat agree with some of the sentiments that ultimately all cruises are the same let's not discount the OP's question and others of the same ilk on CC. As I alluded to if we are going to make those generalizations we can apply that to everything in life; all cars are the same, all airlines are the same, all hotels are the same, etc. Of course we know that's not true. 

What we also know is everything has positives and negatives and there's nothing wrong with pointing them out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Could not agree more.  This year we will be cruising on Carnival, NCL, RCI, Princess, MSC and Celebrity embarking from Miami, Port Canaveral, Bayonne, Vancouver, Brooklyn & Fort Lauderdale.

What no Disney? Kidding but try DCL too.

I go out of Bayonne twice this year as well as each Fla port on coast.

perhaps I might try Virgin too as folks rave about food options and all inclusive specialty as well

• Like 1

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've done vista and dream since covid and agree theh have not stepped up their game. What they do good is still good. Better pizza, fast food and comedy show.

What I didnt like was the new cut of steak which used to be a skirt steak. I tried it once and was all gristle.

What worked for me was doing pay restaurants. JiJis is exceptional and $18. Some prefer the italian. 2 nights I went to the seafood thing in the aft and ordered lobster rolls with butter. Delicious. I did the Japanese and did the let the chef choose and didnt like that, I'd do sushi next time. 

Their pay restaurants are much less expensive than rcl and celebrity..go and take advantage of what they do well. I did the steak house 2 nights, for surf and turf. 

Try the white pizza, my favorite. They make the crust from scratch  .. much better. 

Jijis especially since few ships have this. It's a dont miss for me.

Their pizza was so thin but still hit the spot. At least they got the pizza spot right on Celebration compared to the Horizon. No more 45 minute waits for pizza. 👍

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, kwokpot said:

A standard cabin bathroom on the Carnival Horizon vs Celebrity Edge. Tell me again this is the same thing? 

Screenshot_20230513-111925.png

Screenshot_20230513-112026.png

Is this from Horizon? I had a Havana Cabana and we definitely did not have blue vanity area? It had the dreaded shower curtain but the decor was the theme for the Havana area. 

Edited by Thenagers

20 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

That is not horizon? Horizon bathroom have white fixtures. That is an older ship. Looks more like Sunshine? 

These HAVE ALWAYS been the standard bathrooms in all Carnival ships pre-Excel Class. The older ships had that pink/mauve plastic vanity and sink combo. You may be thinking of the suite bathrooms which were different. Your post AGAIN validates my original point that Carnival cabins are literally the Walmart of cruise ship cabins. Everyone WANTS to think that the cabins are nicer than they actually My comparison of the Celebrity vs Carnival ship bathrooms that debuted the SAME year really goes to show you how low Carnival's standards are to the point where people are thinking a brand new ship is 20 years old. Below is ANOTHER photo from Cruise Critic of a standard bathroom on the Horizon. 

Edit: I also attached a Youtube video cabin tour of a balcony cabin on the Horizon.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-horizon-1185/member-3/170131/

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

I have sailed Seaborne, Celebrity, RCL and Carnival. I found the Havana Area on Horizon a real luxury area. I would recommend doing specialty dining on Horizon because the basic dinner food is definitely not up to Celebrity. I personally would not hesitate to book the Havana on the Vista class again. If on Excel class I would spring for an Excel suite instead though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thenagers said:

Is this from Horizon? I had a Havana Cabana and we definitely did not have blue vanity area? It had the dreaded shower curtain but the decor was the theme for the Havana area. 

So as a point of clarification we are BOTH CORRECT. The blue vanities are for standard cabins as I had stated;however, as you CORRECTLY recalled the Havana cabins DO have a WHITE color sink/vanity area. As we see in this video room tour the Havana Rooms are more upscale in terms of decor and amenities. Thank for chiming in so we can properly inform everyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

What no Disney? Kidding but try DCL too.

I go out of Bayonne twice this year as well as each Fla port on coast.

perhaps I might try Virgin too as folks rave about food options and all inclusive specialty as well

I realize that there is a disparity with Disney in that they have an adults only pool area as well as an adults only restaurant, but being locked into only two areas to avoid the kids would be a pain.  We don't mind well behaved children, but unruly rug rats are another thing and having them on Disney would surely have them taking it up a notch.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

So as a point of clarification we are BOTH CORRECT. The blue vanities are for standard cabins as I had stated;however, as you CORRECTLY recalled the Havana cabins DO have a WHITE color sink/vanity area. As we see in this video room tour the Havana Rooms are more upscale in terms of decor and amenities. Thank for chiming in so we can properly inform everyone.

I was starting to doubt my memory! I went back through my pictures from 2019 and didn’t have any of the bathroom! I went to cruisedeckplans to jog my memory!

I'd go in with the mindset that they are two completely different types of trips.  We're long-time Carnival cruisers and recently sailed with Disney.  We knew it would be a completely different type of experience and made it a point not to compare them.  That being said, we loved Disney but sailed Carnival last month and have a great experience as always!

23 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I realize that there is a disparity with Disney in that they have an adults only pool area as well as an adults only restaurant, but being locked into only two areas to avoid the kids would be a pain.  We don't mind well behaved children, but unruly rug rats are another thing and having them on Disney would surely have them taking it up a notch.

For the most part kids really behave on DCL and cute outfits are seen a lot too.

I mention adult areas for anyone wondering but honestly I enjoy whole ship.

I enjoy the private island too and the family area. They have adult beach but honestly it is too quiet and small do me.

19 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

For the most part kids really behave on DCL and cute outfits are seen a lot too.

I mention adult areas for anyone wondering but honestly I enjoy whole ship.

I enjoy the private island too and the family area. They have adult beach but honestly it is too quiet and small do me.

I disagree.  We just got off our first DCL.  The cruise was exceptional, but the clientele was about what you'd expect from Disney: lots of impatient & entitled folks (especially their children) and ECVs everywhere.  I love people watching and this was a great cruise for it!  Nothing like a 400-lb. woman in her mid-20s dressed as Ariel cutting in line (during character meet + greets) with her three kids because she feels since they're younger, they're more entitled.

Excluding the weekend booze cruises, most of the clientele I've cruised with on Carnival is far better behaved.  

• Haha 1

Far too broad of a question…..apples vs. oranges would compare better, as they are two completely different products IMO. 

Recommend you go have a great time and determine for yourself. 

• Like 1

My husband and I went on our first Celebrity cruise this past January.

We came home and I have booked two cruises on Carnival.

For the things we enjoy, Carnival wins hands down.

We are in our 60's and decided to try Celebrity because it was supposed to be "better."

We found ourselves wishing we were on Carnival so we could go to the comedy club, piano bar, etc etc. Celebrity was too sedate for us. We like action and activity. The Celebrity shows beat Carnival hands down. Other than that, Carnival is just more fun.

• Like 5

We have sails Celebrity Summit and Carnival Horizon.

While we have enjoyed any cruise we have been on,

we do enjoy Carnival more. Horizon has many amenities.

Our favorite thermal spa area, lots of great dining choices,

lots of activity for lots of fun - though late hours.

Summit's dining was great too, as was the cabin we were in.

The activities seemed few and far between.

The entertainment was comparable to our CCL sailings on Horizon and Mardi Gras.

Planned activities not so much.

And if you like late night adventure, Celebrity is not for you.

Things got very quiet after about 8:30PM...

Perhaps when we are older, sailing without kids again, we will try celebrity again.

For now Carnival meets many of our "vacation needs" and style of vacation.

As long as we are sailing through the Caribbean, the ports are all same old same old...

So that is not a factor either.

We talk about doing a couple European sailings when we are older too,

then Celebrity would be a contender for us then too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, d-train said:

We have sails Celebrity Summit and Carnival Horizon.

While we have enjoyed any cruise we have been on,

we do enjoy Carnival more. Horizon has many amenities.

Our favorite thermal spa area, lots of great dining choices,

lots of activity for lots of fun - though late hours.

Summit's dining was great too, as was the cabin we were in.

The activities seemed few and far between.

The entertainment was comparable to our CCL sailings on Horizon and Mardi Gras.

Planned activities not so much.

And if you like late night adventure, Celebrity is not for you.

Things got very quiet after about 8:30PM...

Perhaps when we are older, sailing without kids again, we will try celebrity again.

For now Carnival meets many of our "vacation needs" and style of vacation.

As long as we are sailing through the Caribbean, the ports are all same old same old...

So that is not a factor either.

We talk about doing a couple European sailings when we are older too,

then Celebrity would be a contender for us then too.

I agree with your post,

We are older. Carnival is more fun, even in your 60's. I have a blast with all the late night activities on Carnival. It's not uncommon for us to close the disco down. We're not ready to sit down yet.

• Like 1