What's NEW? I haven't cruised since 2016 so I imagine things have changed. Let me know what's new and exciting...or not :)

schoolinmy3

I've been a loyal HAL cruiser since 2008 and actually took my first cruise as a toddler in 1968 in a transatlantic on the Rotterdam as my parent emigrated from Holland where I was born to the US.I I took quite a few cruises with my husband starting in 2008 for our 20th anniversary! But we separated in 2017 so I haven't cruised since. My friend and I are booked on the Zuiderdam for the Canada/New England cruise in September 2024!!! Looking forward to cruising again!

• Like 1

Perhaps ignoring what you hear on this board is the best choice. You picked a great itinerary and a nice smaller ship to get started again.

Things will have changed. Just keep in mind what the cruise industry was forced to go through these past "covid" lockdown years. It is just starting to get back on its feet again, and with increasing prices for everything including labor, it may never be what it was in the past.

Quite frankly, also ignore the comments ..I sailed XYZ brand and they were so much better than HAL.... yada, yada, yada.  If you think you got a fair price, surveyed the competition and still chose HAL, you will have a good time.  It you still cruise primarily to travel, you will find a lot to like about the HAL brand.

If you need to be catered too, pampered, constantly fed have instant drink orders and entertained 24/7, then you will probably be disappointed. But since those were never HAL's strong suits even before "covid", you may notice little missing at all.

With the larger ships in the industry today, the cruise experience is clearly dividing into those who like to sail floating Las Vegas style hotels where the onboard experience is the critical draw,  and those who still enjoy the quiet joys of traveling to interesting destinations  by sea. HAL is having a bit of a split personality disorder right now, trying to be both. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

If you need to be catered too, pampered, constantly fed have instant drink orders and entertained 24/7, then you will probably be disappointed. But since those were never HAL's strong suits even before "covid", you may notice little missing at all.

With the larger ships in the industry today, the cruise experience is clearly dividing into those who like to sail floating Las Vegas style hotels where the onboard experience is the critical draw,  and those who still enjoy the quiet joys of traveling to interesting destinations  by sea. HAL is having a bit of a split personality disorder right now, trying to be both. 

Thank you for that perspective! I've always traveled on cruises for the itinerary - first cruise being the Alaskan Inside Passage on the Westerdam and then several cruises in Europe - Mediterranean twice and the Baltics once. Also have cruised to Bermuda and the islands in the Bahamas. I work hard with long hours (I own my own business) and especially since my difficult separation/divorce at the age of 50 six years ago and am just now feeling like I can travel again. I have always preferred to cruise on the smaller ships anyway and don't need entertained or pampered. You'll probably find me up in the Crows Nest with my Kindle and a glass of wine lol. Or walking laps on the promenade after breakfast.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, schoolinmy3 said:

Thank you for that perspective! I've always traveled on cruises for the itinerary - first cruise being the Alaskan Inside Passage on the Westerdam and then several cruises in Europe - Mediterranean twice and the Baltics once. Also have cruised to Bermuda and the islands in the Bahamas. I work hard with long hours (I own my own business) and especially since my difficult separation/divorce at the age of 50 six years ago and am just now feeling like I can travel again. I have always preferred to cruise on the smaller ships anyway and don't need entertained or pampered. You'll probably find me up in the Crows Nest with my Kindle and a glass of wine lol. Or walking laps on the promenade after breakfast.

There is a separate and on-gong thread titled "Tips for Solo Passenger"  (or something similar) which has a lot of comforting stories  from those who also embarked upon traveling solo for the first time after traveling with partners and spouse for many years prior.

How to take those first steps and what are ways round the rough spots that will/can show up. Hope this thread is still easy to find.

• Like 2

I'm on the Koningsdam right now, first cruise since 2012. Despite what you might read in some topics, I find that the quality of this cruise is just as good, or slightly better, than the HAL of 10 years ago.

What is better, for me, is that I am enjoying the Pinnacle class ship more than the smaller classes. I also think the food in the Lido has improved. There are more "cooked or prepared to order" stations, and more variety. I also like not serving yourself any more. I also like the Retreat cabanas.

The cleanliness of the ship, and the friendliness, hospitality, and service of the crew is outstanding, as always.

I've had no complaints. In spite of the fact that this is my 4th (3rd? I lose track LOL) HAL cruise up the inside passage to Alaska, I am as excited to be here as on the first cruise. Happy sailing to you

• Like 2

One thing that's changed since 2016 is the Pinnacle class ships are new since 2016.  Some like them, some don't because they seem to tend to be a bit more crowded, but they do offer a few things the older ships don't:  The have the Grand Dutch Cafe, Rolling Stones Rock Room, Club Orange dining room, Tamarind (also on Signature class ships), to name a few.  Some find these ships too big but, when compared to the industry trend for bigger is better, they fall in the lower mid size as compared to some of the massive new ships being delivered.

Of course, even though that is all new since 2016, none of this will be on your Zuiderdam cruise other than if you choose to buy Club Orange.  The Zuiderdam doesn't have a separate Club Orange dining room but other than that, it offers all the same priority amenities.

The other thing that's new since 2016 is the Have it All package.  It's an added cost package but can be a pretty good value if you use it's included features.

On 5/12/2023 at 7:08 PM, schoolinmy3 said:

I've been a loyal HAL cruiser since 2008 and actually took my first cruise as a toddler in 1968 in a transatlantic on the Rotterdam as my parent emigrated from Holland where I was born to the US.I I took quite a few cruises with my husband starting in 2008 for our 20th anniversary! But we separated in 2017 so I haven't cruised since. My friend and I are booked on the Zuiderdam for the Canada/New England cruise in September 2024!!! Looking forward to cruising again!

What is new and exciting is that you are cruising again and with your friend.  That is all that matters.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2023 at 7:08 PM, schoolinmy3 said:

I agree with what others have said, some things have changed but it is all a matter of perspective. I have had a number of delightful cruises with HAL since the restart. The crew is still wonderful. The food has been good to great. There are definitely some changes in terms of entertainment and menus (no free lobster except on longer cruises, but you can purchase it nightly). No more Live from Lincoln Center, but they have been replaced by a jazz trio. I believe that outside of suites that rooms are serviced one time a day instead of two (someone please correct me if I am wrong on that). I think as long as you are not expecting that it will be just like it was in 2019 that you will have a lovely trip. 

If you skim any of the HAL live threads in my signature (or some of those that others have posted)I have quite a few daily programs and menus which can help to give you an idea of what to expect. 

2 hours ago, zgscl said:

I believe that outside of suites that rooms are serviced one time a day instead of two (someone please correct me if I am wrong on that).

When meeting our stewards since the restart, they have asked if we want our verandah room serviced once or twice a day. Even if we choose morning only, they tidy up when leaving the next day's program.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, littlebrownbook said:

I'm booked on the Koningsdam to Alaska for a cruise   / land trip. As I'm only bringing carryon I was hoping there will be no formal days in the first 3 days. Can anyone here speak to that?

There are no 'formal' days on most HAL cruises any longer. What HAL does have, and there should be one in the first three days, is 'dressy' night. 
Smart casual, defined as a collared shirt and long pants for a man, or a nice dress. or shirt/pants and neat top for a woman, are requested. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting back into cruising! I love the Vista class ships and Zuidy is my favorite. Canada is a wonderful itinerary. 

I just looked back at the programs from my 2016 cruise on Zuidy. So much has changed! Entertainment seems to be in flux as HAL drops some contracts and makes new ones, so what's happening now could be different by the time you cruise. Currently, there are no production shows in the World Stage. Some cruises have guest performers there, some don't. A few nights will have dance programs. No more piano bar or Northern Lights disco. BBKing may be leaving some ships. Jazz combo in Ocean bar went away, but now is on some ships, maybe coming to more. Classical may or may not be there. Adagio was replaced by Lincoln Center, but they're gone (except maybe they could be on once in a while), and some ships are getting classical music but I don't know the name of the group. So stay tuned for more updates on entertainment.

Libraries went away, and now are coming back. The spa is still delightful. The promenade deck still has deck chairs. 

Gala nights (which is what they were calling "formal" in 2016) are now "dressy" nights. Not many people dress up much. Certainly not like the days of formal nights. They don't put those silly covers on the chairs any more, but there is a "special menu," which has fewer choices than other nights. Gala was like that, too. Never made sense to me, but what do I know?

The cabin stewards have more cabins to take care of than ever, but they still manage to smile and say good morning and take excellent care of their passengers. 

I think the food is good. Maybe not great, but I can always find something I like. More stations at the Lido are served than they used to be. It slows things down a little, but it's much better healthwise. The bread pudding is still there!  Surf and turf is now steak and shrimp. The lack of lobster is a contentious issue (do a search for "lobster" and you'll see what I mean), as is the charge for extra items. 

I don't remember when the smoking rules changed, but there is no smoking on verandahs. The only smoking area on Zuidy is at the Sea View Bar by the aft pool. 

There is now an app, the Navigator App, that you can use to check the daily schedule, menus, tours. You will see some threads about it--it can get wonky at times. Internet is hit-and-miss, but HAL is supposed to be getting Starlink, which should be better. 

There may be other changes, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

• Like 3