Delighted by R Class (Zandaam)

BigMattT

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

There are a select number of loungers belonging to the inhabitants of the lanai cabins.  They are clearly marked reserved.  The remainder are first come first serve 

Only Volendam has lanai cabins. Zaandam does not. Veendam and maybe one other had them, but those ships have left the fleet. I remember that they were sort of scattered on Veendam, but on Volendam they're all together, so it's easy to know which chairs are not reserved. Plus, look for the slider door instead of a window. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Veendam and maybe one other had them, but those ships have left the fleet.

Maasdam and Rotterdam had a few, but fewer than Volendam. HAL had learned by then that the lanai cabins weren't as popular as they expected. 

3 hours ago, beach spring said:

BigMatt, you mentioned reading while in a lounger on the promenade deck.  Are those loungers considered the "property" of the staterooms at that point or is it a "free" space?  I don't want to get into any arguments!  

My other question:  Can someone describe the afternoon teas, if those still exist?  I've seen lots of posts about meals but none about the teas which I enjoyed on a previous HAL cruise.  TIA

They are for anyone. Zaandam does not have Lanai Cabins.

Afternoon tea is served in the dining room. Finger sandwiches, scones, pastries, and PG Tips black tea. It’s nice. (Every other day the pastries and sandwiches taste a day old 🤣)

• Haha 1

HAL  should  have these smaller ships  with other added amenities, like shows ,small ports with over nights  & charge as a upscale  cruise   .Then use the larger ships  as regular  cruise experiences with normal pricing  .A different marketing approach 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigMattT said:

They are for anyone. Zaandam does not have Lanai Cabins.

Afternoon tea is served in the dining room. Finger sandwiches, scones, pastries, and PG Tips black tea. It’s nice. (Every other day the pastries and sandwiches taste a day 

Edited by Mary229

Five ships had lanai staterooms.  Amsterdam, Maasdam, Rotterdam, Veendam and Volendam all had them. They gave you outside space like a verandah, but with ocean view type pricing. The verandah door allowed you to get out, but you had to come in via the inside door.

From 2017, when there were still several ships with lanai cabins:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/recent-articles/whats-new/what-does-a-cruise-stateroom-look-like/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

HAL  should  have these smaller ships  with other added amenities, like shows ,small ports with over nights  & charge as a upscale  cruise   .Then use the larger ships  as regular  cruise experiences with normal pricing  .A different marketing approach 

They did have one ship like you described, the Prinsendam which had under 1000 passengers, did unique, longer itineraries and was priced like a premium cruise. She was sold off I believe just prior to Covid. Many in this forum were big fans.

23 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Hi Back to you!  We have 7 future cruises booked through March 2025. You can always join us for the Volendam cruise from Boston next year.  Other than 2 days in Niagara Falls in 2021 and getting on a cruise in Vancouver in 2019, this will be our first extensive trip in Canada. We are planning to spend 4 to 5 days post cruise exploring both Montreal and Quebec City too.

Have great cruise on the Zaandam next week.

Sounds great!!  This will be our first time on Holland America - looking forward to it.  Take care and enjoy those cruises 😎

• Like 1

I have been truly blessed.   My first cruise as chaplain/priest with HAL was on the Prinsendam sailing the Amazon Explorer.  I also have a preference for the smaller ships and have served on the Maasdam, Veendam and Zaandam. 

Just received notice that I will be the chaplain/priest on the Zaandam for the Sept. 24th, 2023, sailing from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale.  Looking forward to meeting all on board that cruise.

Blessings to all,

Fr. Roman

• Like 3