Taxi's at Port of Belfast?

Just now, mcca2 said:

We don't want to take ships tour or general tours of Belfast. More interested in visiting County Down, Downpatrick, Newcastle... will be grateful for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would like to know if you are able to get a tour once you arrive at the port in Belfast.  Not looking for just a cab but a tour with guide.  Or is this something that you can do  on your own once you get into Belfast?

As far as I know the ship docks in an industrial area, so you might need to take a shuttle into town and find a cab there. That is what we did a few years ago. 

14 hours ago, gullcruiser said:

Hello, I would like to know if you are able to get a tour once you arrive at the port in Belfast.  Not looking for just a cab but a tour with guide.  Or is this something that you can do  on your own once you get into Belfast?

Most ports in Europe and the UK are not like the ports in the Caribbean and you will rarely find tours available to purchase on the quayside.  You really need to pre book tours if you wish to have a guide.  

Yes, our ship docked in a bit of an industrial area which was fenced off.   Nothing within walking distance.  There was a lineup of taxi's right outside of the ship, but I don't know if those taxi's would be interested in a day tour type of trip.   We just took a taxi to Titanic museum, then we walked from there to downtown area..... 

My understanding is that there is a shuttle bus running from cruise port to Belfast City Centre and usually drop off/pick up beside the Belfast City Hall. Do not know frequency as will be finding out this summer when we visit! Would definitely research sights to see as leaving to the day of arrival could prove disappointing as most travellers book independent tours in advance or take cruise line shore excursions. You should check your Roll Call for your cruise as usually very helpful. 

FYI, in checking the Belfast Port Authority/Harbour site (https://cruise-belfast.co.uk/about-cruise-belfast/dedicated-cruise-facility) it states that the Cruise Terminal offers visitor information:  

• Cruise visitor information centre
  • Shore excursion coach parking
  • Dedicated shuttle bus space
  • Taxi rank
  • Free Wifi
  • Destination showcase video wall
  • Gift shop
  • Washroom facilities including disabled access WC
  • Security desks
  • Seating

On 5/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, WESTEAST said:

FYI, in checking the Belfast Port Authority/Harbour site (https://cruise-belfast.co.uk/about-cruise-belfast/dedicated-cruise-facility) it states that the Cruise Terminal offers visitor information:  

• Cruise visitor information centre
  • Shore excursion coach parking
  • Dedicated shuttle bus space
  • Taxi rank
  • Free Wifi
  • Destination showcase video wall
  • Gift shop
  • Washroom facilities including disabled access WC
  • Security desks
  • Seating

Hmmmm. We didn’t see a lot of information when we got off the ship. Certainly could have missed it. There was one taxi waiting and we took it to the Titanic Museum. We also had no problem getting an Uber in all the cities we visited. 

As the months move along with more cruises stopping at Belfast, it will be good to hear from passengers with respect to the cost of cabs at the port or if there is a shuttle bus to downtown and how much that is.  Seems last year there was a bus at a cost of $10 GBP each way while a cab was somewhere around $15 GBP each way.  

I am in Belfast. Taxis are handy enough to get from the cruise terminal. The main city centre big companies are Fone a Cab and Value Cabs. Both have apps you can downloaded to book and pay for your taxi. I have never used Uber in Belfast. I don’t think we have many especially compared to Dublin. my best guess for a price into the town is between £10-15 each way depending on traffic, 

Yes, there are shuttle buses run by Translink. The drop people off across from the front of  the the city hall and the doors of the Welcome Belfast shop right in the middle of the town. The city hall is at the top of Royal Avenue in Donegal Square. I have no idea of the price. When you get off the bus, there are loads of people trying to sell you a tour. You are only a couple minute walk to the hop on-hop off buses. They are in front of HMV (the record shop across from McDonald’s). Only today, there was a ship in town and my wee girl was asked for directions on her way to school by a group of American tourists back to the City Hall. Lol It happens regularly. 

In answer to someone else’s question, yes it easy enough to book a private tour with a taxi driver either in advance or the Welcome Centre. What kind of tour are you looking? 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were just in Belfast and there was a visitor center set up at the port with information. There was also a phone in the visitor center tent that had direct access to the Value cab company mentioned earlier that do tours same day. There were 2 cabs lined up and we grabbed one and he took us to the neighborhoods most associated with “The Troubles “ period which included the crumlin street Gaol( we did not go in due to time, but he definitely recommended we do) , the various murals,  the peace wall , one of the gates, and took us to this little hidden museum that other small group tours apparently take visitors to, that had a number of artifacts and displays about the Troubles period. It was actually quite interesting and free. 

enjoy your cruise

• Thanks 1