Cruising in Australia with Ponant

LincolnLegend

Hi all, 

My cruise buddy and I are heading off to cruise from Darwin to Broome with Ponant next month. For those that have cruised with Ponant, what do we need to take in the way of electrical adaptors for the cabin and do they have decent hair dryers on board?

It's so very exciting to be doing a true bucket list cruise, we recognize that it will be very different from our usual cheap and cheerful cruises but figure we saved enough during the pandemic to earn it!

Any other tips and tricks or cabin hacks will be gratefully received!

Most of the outlets are European 240 Volt Type F just like you'd find in Germany, France, etc. and there's at least one US 110 Volt outlet. If your gear is two pin, a cheap Australia to European adapter is al you need. More details in this thread: 

There's a real hair dryer in the cabin, so you don't need to worry about that.

Look forward to hearing about your trip! That itinerary is on the list for 2024.

• Like 1

Thanks, as long as the hair dryer blows better than an 80yo asthmatic madam (like most dryers on most cruise ships) and we know what adapter we need for chargers etc. we will be great!

I will have to check that my chargers are 2 pin, I got a bit caught with that in Bali last month.

I am considering doing a bit of a trip report (not sure if it will be live or not yet, depends if I can get CC on my phone again.)

I'm beyond excited since watching the Andrew Daddo documentary you linked here recently, so thanks for that!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 9:52 PM, LincolnLegend said:

Hi all, 

My cruise buddy and I are heading off to cruise from Darwin to Broome with Ponant next month. For those that have cruised with Ponant, what do we need to take in the way of electrical adaptors for the cabin and do they have decent hair dryers on board?

It's so very exciting to be doing a true bucket list cruise, we recognize that it will be very different from our usual cheap and cheerful cruises but figure we saved enough during the pandemic to earn it!

Any other tips and tricks or cabin hacks will be gratefully received!

I’m on a Ponant cruise from Darwin to Broome also, leaving 19/06/23.  I just sat down tonight to try and work out what power adaptors I’d need to bring with me. 😁 This is my first cruise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, Sbtavel3 said:

I would love to hear how the cruise went, we leave for ours next Friday 30th.

Any tips or suggestions?

I’m loving every minute of my first cruise with Ponant. The food is delicious and the staff/crew are pleasant, happy friendly people who all appear to love working for Ponant. I’m trying to join in everything but you can do as little or as much as you like. The lectures and documentaries are fascinating. I love walking so haven’t had any issues getting on or off the zodiacs and doing all the walks. They help you to safely board and alight the zodiacs so there are no issues. You do sit on the side of the zodiac as it bounces over the rivers and ocean and I have heard some people complain it’s uncomfortable but I enjoy the excitement and haven’t had any issues. Bring a long sleeved sun shirt to stop sunburn, preferably a hat with a draw string so it stays on while moving fast over the water, sunscreen cream so your legs face and hands don’t get burnt as the zodiac trips can be an hour or up to 3 hours in the sun with no cover. But back on board the ship you can relax in the small pool or a hot shower work wonders. Most people seem to have an early night after dinner but last night was fun singing and dancing. They do a couple of small shows for entertainment but really it’s an exploration cruise. If you haven’t been before you have to pay for laundering each item, so I just hand wash and hang items on the small line in the shower. I brought washing powder and 20 small light pegs with me which have come in very handy. A mix of casual day clothes and smarter clothes for dinner of an evening is good but no one has been seen in a suit or formal ball gown. I’m hoping the second half is as good as the first half. Oh, do attend the briefings each day as you will need the info for the following day’s activities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EnjoyTheBreeze said:

If you haven’t been before you have to pay for laundering each item

But you get free laundry as soon as you "confirm your 2nd cruise."  Are you on a B2B?  Ask if the second half includes free laundry.  If not, book a cruise onboard and qualify!  Ponant's loyalty benefits are particularly generous because they vest so early.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But you get free laundry as soon as you "confirm your 2nd cruise."  Are you on a B2B?  Ask if the second half includes free laundry.  If not, book a cruise onboard and qualify!  Ponant's loyalty benefits are particularly generous because they vest so early.

I haven’t yet booked a second Ponant cruise unfortunately so looks like I keep washing my own clothes. 🩳 👚 🤣

I want to go to Antartica with them but haven’t decided on a date yet. My next 2 cruises are with Celebrity next year so maybe Antartica will have to be the following year. They just did a presentation this morning about it on this cruise that I’m on now in the  Kimberly. Antartica looks amazing and I want to go while I’m still fit and healthy. 

Ponant’s expedition cruises are brilliant I’m finding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful thank you..😁

This will be our first trip with Ponant. Happy to hear all wonderful and not so formal wear.. Washing line and pegs is a great idea.. Not worried about entertainment, though looking forward to talks, daily briefs and time for reading. 

Looking forward to the walks, zodiac tours and talks.. 

No b2b tours. Wanted to see how this tour went first.

It's been quite while since doing a sailing tour, the last few trips have been land based tours. 

Ps Antarctica is worth going. Went 2011 with another small exploration ship. 

• Like 1