Koningsdam 7071 review May 6-13 2023

bluesplayer

1 minute ago, visagrunt said:

Even the worst pre-clearance experience is vastly preferable to clearance at the first arrival port in the United States.

Think about arrival in Juneau (let alone Ketchikan or Sitka!) if the ship must zero-out for customs and immigration on its first arrival! 

US Pre-clearance might be a chokepoint at embarkation, but it's is vastly preferable than US inspection in mid-cruise.  Why do you think that Victoria is at the end of Seattle itineraries rather than the beginning?

They could do like Canada does when a ship sails from San Diego or Seattle with the first Canadian port of call in Victoria then disembarkation in Vancouver (for example).  The manifest is sent to CBSA while you are onboard and you are pre-cleared electronically.  (Unless, of course, you are on their naughty list and they want to have a chat before deciding to let you off, have you stay on board, or detain you.)  

Could you imagine the uproar if CBSA set up shop in San Diego to add to the congestion at the port?  It doesn’t bear thinking about.

On 5/14/2023 at 10:55 PM, babelfish said:

Thanks for your detailed review, it makes our upcoming cruise even more real.  I'm hoping Canada Place will be able to streamline the boarding process by the time we depart on May 27.  I have a couple of questions if you don't mind--Were you able to cruise Tracy Arm or was it iced up?  And was the old Microsoft Studio room on deck 2 converted to a library?  Thanks much!

No Tracy Arm.  No announcement either way of going or not going there.  I did not check about the library..  but I did not run across one.  Hope it’s back soon.

16 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

No Tracy Arm.  No announcement either way of going or not going there.  I did not check about the library..  but I did not run across one.  Hope it’s back soon.

I was on the same cruise. I'm wondering if there was no Tracy Arm because we didn't take the Inside Passage going north. Sure, the HAL tracker maps indicated we took the Inside Passage. But anyone familiar with the Inside Passage knows we didn't take that route. If you look at our path on CruiseTracker, it clearly shows we did not take the Inside Passage going north. We did take the Inside Passage going south. 

I haven't found out why we didn't take the Inside Passage north. And I didn't hear any announcements about it on the ship.

Edited by Colorado Klutch

On 5/18/2023 at 10:42 AM, Colorado Klutch said:

I was on the same cruise. I'm wondering if there was no Tracy Arm because we didn't take the Inside Passage going north. Sure, the HAL tracker maps indicated we took the Inside Passage. But anyone familiar with the Inside Passage knows we didn't take that route. If you look at our path on CruiseTracker, it clearly shows we did not take the Inside Passage going north. We did take the Inside Passage going south. 

I haven't found out why we didn't take the Inside Passage north. And I didn't hear any announcements about it on the ship.

This was our first cruise from Vancouver.  We have been on Seattle cruises to Alaska.  Glad you said we did not do Tracy Arm.  I was afraid I may have missed it??  You are much more informed than I am.  Guess I need to go back again to see Tracy Arm.  Would not look forward to the boarding lines... UGH!!!!  Taking an Alaska Cruise from Seattle end of June on the Westerdam.  Will compare the scenery...  yet I guess we did not see the Inside Passage.  Who knew??  All in all we enjoyed the cruise..  hated the boarding in Vancouver.  

On 5/14/2023 at 1:52 PM, renee00 said:

...The Skagway boarding issue makes me wonder how they're going to handle it when we board on the 30th following a land tour...One ramp seems inefficient.

I believe the rock slide is still impacting wait times in Skagway. 

On 5/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, canadianbear said:

...My sister in law and friends are cruising on the Koningsdam in July so I hope the Vancouver port is running smooth by then...

Seriously wouldn't count on a better experience in Vancouver  - the customs process really bogs down the boarding process. It's been that way since at least 2018.

It's so bad, many people say "never again."

Your cruise, though, should be awesome. Love Grand Dutch!

On 5/18/2023 at 1:42 PM, Colorado Klutch said:

. I'm wondering if there was no Tracy Arm because we didn't take the Inside Passage going north.

I'll bet you a beer they didn't do the Tracy Arm excursion because of ice, but according to Allen Marine they are supposed to go up Endicott as a backup, and I understand they didn't do that either.

"In the event that unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude your cruise ship from entering Tracy Arm Fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm, a fjord and tidewater glacier of equal beauty."  https://allenmarinetours.com/juneau/glacier-fjord/#gsc.tab=0

On 5/18/2023 at 10:42 AM, Colorado Klutch said:

Just off the May 13 KD cruise and we were extremely disappointed that we also missed the Inside Passage cruising north.. with nary a mention of the change. The IP days are the reason we choose to cruise out of Vancouver(rather than Seattle), as this is some of the best scenery on the itinerary!

We sail to Alaska often, sometimes twice a season, and always out of Vancouver. We always look forward to waking up on that first morning to the sights -  and scents -  of the BC IP coastline. This time we woke to.. open ocean.

If we had known the itinerary had dropped the NB Inside Passage we would have sailed a different line.

What possible reason would HAL have to change the itinerary after all these years, especially after selling with the itinerary intact and showing it on the HAL tracker?? Looking at Cruise Mapper, it seems this Is the 'new' route going forward, at least for this Summer season. As far as we are concerned, this is as bad as if they had cancelled a port and never made mention of it!

Edited by cattman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cattman said:

Just off the May 13 KD cruise and we were extremely disappointed that we also missed the Inside Passage cruising north.. with nary a mention of the change. The IP days are the reason we choose to cruise out of Vancouver(rather than Seattle), as this is some of the best scenery on the itinerary!

We sail to Alaska often, sometimes twice a season, and always out of Vancouver. We always look forward to waking up on that first morning to the sights -  and scents -  of the BC IP coastline. This time we woke to.. open ocean.

If we had known the itinerary had dropped the NB Inside Passage we would have sailed a different line.

What possible reason would HAL have to change the itinerary after all these years, especially after selling with the itinerary intact and showing it on the HAL tracker?? Looking at Cruise Mapper, it seems this Is the 'new' route going forward, at least for this Summer season. As far as we are concerned, this is as bad as if they had cancelled a port and never made mention of it!

We cruise this Saturday on the konsingdam, i too will be so disappointed if we miss the inside passage going north. Specially cruised out of Vancouver at a significantly higher price, air hotel etc. 

I will report back. Hopefully with good news 

On 5/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, *Miss G* said:

They could do like Canada does when a ship sails from San Diego or Seattle with the first Canadian port of call in Victoria then disembarkation in Vancouver (for example).  The manifest is sent to CBSA while you are onboard and you are pre-cleared electronically.  (Unless, of course, you are on their naughty list and they want to have a chat before deciding to let you off, have you stay on board, or detain you.)  

Could you imagine the uproar if CBSA set up shop in San Diego to add to the congestion at the port?  It doesn’t bear thinking about.

No, they can't do like Canada. Canadian legislation allows for officers to clear passengers from a manifest.  US law requires every passenger to be seen face-to-face by a US CBP officer.  Even if the hard work has been done by the kiosk, that slip still needs to be handed over in person.  And since ships are not equipped with US CBP kiosks, that would all have to be done on-shore at the first port of arrival.

• Like 1

In six inside passage cruises in the last 10 years (4 on HAL and 1 each on Regent and Seabourn), I have only taken the true Inside passage going north on Seabourn, which had the advantage of a significantly smaller ship and a 14 day itinerary.

Navigation through the IP is much slower than Queen Charlotte Sound and Hecate Strait, especially after the sinking of the Queen of the North.  A true IP northbound would make it impossible to reach Juneau on Day three until the evening.  Even steaming through the Sound, the Strait and Dixon entrance still only puts Juneau in reach by late morning.

6 hours ago, cattman said:

Weird. Someone else on the same cruise as you said they did say sail the inside passage going northbound

9 hours ago, decrepit old man said:

Weird. Someone else on the same cruise as you said they did say sail the inside passage going northbound

I'd say 'someone else' was mistaken, particularly if SE meant the IP between Vancouver Island and mainland BC.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, visagrunt said:

In six inside passage cruises in the last 10 years (4 on HAL and 1 each on Regent and Seabourn), I have only taken the true Inside passage going north on Seabourn, which had the advantage of a significantly smaller ship and a 14 day itinerary.

Navigation through the IP is much slower than Queen Charlotte Sound and Hecate Strait, especially after the sinking of the Queen of the North.  A true IP northbound would make it impossible to reach Juneau on Day three until the evening.  Even steaming through the Sound, the Strait and Dixon entrance still only puts Juneau in reach by late morning.

i am talking about the BC Inside Passage, between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Every RT Alaskan voyage we have taken from Vancouver has used this route, and is the one we were looking forward to(this from HAL website listing for our cruise):

en_US_A3G07B_tablet_2x.jpg

.. not this one, which was the route of our 5/13 sailing(from CruiseMapper):

image.png.9b351833e76efa1f996f8487c32fd4b9.png

If I had wanted to sail in the open ocean I would have saved a ton of money and hassle and sailed out of Seattle.

Edited by cattman
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, vino100 said:

We cruise this Saturday on the konsingdam, i too will be so disappointed if we miss the inside passage going north. Specially cruised out of Vancouver at a significantly higher price, air hotel etc. 

I will report back. Hopefully with good news 

I wish you the best!

We still had a wonderful time, as we had an easy, uneventful boarding, perfect weather(shorts and tshirts everyday, not a cloud in the sky for seven days), and great food and service from a great crew. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, cattman said:

i am talking about the BC Inside Passage, between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Every RT Alaskan voyage we have taken from Vancouver has used this route, and is the one we were looking forward to(this from HAL website listing for our cruise):

en_US_A3G07B_tablet_2x.jpg

.. not this one, which was the route of our 5/13 sailing(from CruiseMapper):

image.png.9b351833e76efa1f996f8487c32fd4b9.png

If I had wanted to sail in the open ocean I would have saved a ton of money and hassle and sailed out of Seattle.

UGH!  This stinks.  I just checked cruise mapper and all of the Koningsdam sailings (including the oneshow this route through the Summer.  Agree 100% this was the primary reason we booked out of Vancouver.  You got the "true" inside passage and avoided the open ocean and rougher seas...you paid for it with expensive flights, customs, etc. but it WAS worth it...now, not nearly as much.  This map shows BOTH the Northbound AND Southbound legs are West of Vancouver island.  Was the Southbound East of the island???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cabland said:

UGH!  This stinks.  I just checked cruise mapper and all of the Koningsdam sailings (including the oneshow this route through the Summer.  Agree 100% this was the primary reason we booked out of Vancouver.  You got the "true" inside passage and avoided the open ocean and rougher seas...you paid for it with expensive flights, customs, etc. but it WAS worth it...now, not nearly as much.  This map shows BOTH the Northbound AND Southbound legs are West of Vancouver island.  Was the Southbound East of the island???

We were on the May 6 -15 koningsdam  cruise.  Southbound was East of Vancouver Island.  We were on the starboard side of the ship and clearly saw Vancouver Island from our cabin.

38 minutes ago, cabland said:

Ditto everything you said. False advertising in my book. Shame on HAL. Before I get slammed, I’m 4 star on HAL so obviously have enjoyed the brand. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vino100 said:

Ditto everything you said. False advertising in my book. Shame on HAL. Before I get slammed, I’m 4 star on HAL so obviously have enjoyed the brand. 

Ironically, neither the CruiseMapper or HAL maps appear to be correct since it appears Northbound is outside the island, and Southbound is inside.  If one direction has to be given up, that may have been the lesser of two evils, but still...bummer for sure.

Our May 13 sailing did sail the BC Inside Passage on the Southbound, but it was not until late afternoon/evening, so you're trying to pack and view the scenery at the same time! On previous sailings - we have sailed this itinerary many times on HAL, Princess and Celebrity, and try to do it every year - we had always sailed this portion of the IP in the daytime.

And yes, seas were somewhat rough on the NB portion as we were in open ocean.

Seems YMMV as to which route your sailing will take.. as for us, while we prefer HAL, and as enjoyable as the rest of the sailing was, sailing the BC IP Northbound is so important to us that if we can't count on it this will be our last HAL sailing to Alaska.

Shame.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:56 PM, cattman said:

2 hours ago, vino100 said:

False advertising in my book. Shame on HAL

I'm booked for the 22 July cruise.  100% agree - if I wanted to sail west of Vancouver I would have paid a whole lot less and sailed out of Seattle (cheaper hotel, cheaper flight, cheaper cruise).  It is false advertising and unlike half of the folks on this forum...I won't complain about HAL and still give it my money.  Your move, HAL.

• Like 1

I was thinking - always dangerous - that Vancouver Island is almost 300  miles long.  So if you depart Vancouver port at 5:00pm, you travel the inside passage largely at night so you won't see anything.  Same thing coming southbound.  If you arrive Vancouver at 7:00am, you have travelled the inside passage all night.  Am I missing something?

On 5/14/2023 at 12:50 PM, bluesplayer said:

I think 7073 will be OK..  it’s down the hall a bit.  7071 is next to 7069.  My brother’s room and they didn’t hear it.  Asking the Neptune concierge to put a sign to close door gently may have helped (we did not).  We ate at Club Orange, Lido, Pinnacle, Dive in and NY deli.  One day Dive in was slow.

We were in 7069 a year or so back. When I submitted my review to HalFacts with my room pics, I commented on how noisy it was and that I would not book that area again. We had the same issue as you did. It was awful. 

• Like 1

Has HAL been asked why they changed the route out of Vancouver going north?  Is HAL only doing this temporarily for some specific reason?  I'd like to hear their official explanation.

~Nancy

• Like 1