QV

devolve

On the Canaries voyage prior to the current Baltic voyage, there were no 'restrictions' - so no mask requirements, and crew were not wearing masks. There was hand antiviral gel at the entrance to the dining areas, and remains a very sensible thing to do.  If there were any cases of Covid we were not aware of any, and it was very much as if there was no pandemic concern apparent in anyone. Also no social distancing anywhere including the lifts.  Of course we all should remain vigilant, but life has returned to pretty much pre-pandemic, and now post-pandemic normal.

• Like 1

On the Canaries QV voyage the CWC party for Gold level and above took place in the Queens Room, and there was also the Senior Officers Party for Platinum and above on a different day. The general captain's welcome party for all passengers did not take place. The majority of passengers are gold level or above since once only a few voyages have been enjoyed on Cunard you reach Gold pretty quickly.

The muster drill seems to have become established as it was last year, with the requirement to go and have your cruise card scanned in by crew members at your muster station soon after boarding, and the muster drill video is already playing in your room when you go in, which you are required to watch, and that seems now to be in place of the full muster drill that used to take place with everyone physically present at the nominated time at your muster station, Anyone who does not know how to use the life jackets, can go to their muster station, where a crew member will show you how to put it on and remove it.  In addition the usual emergency horn practice sounding  and Captain's announcement over the PA system still takes place as always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new form of muster drill is good in that it avoids crowds of inattentive people trying to put their life jackets on just as they have been told not to. However, the advantage of the old drill was that you actually took the route you might have to take in an emergency. I think having done it once with the lights all working might help everyone do it more effectively in an emergency, in the dark. The best way to learn is by doing. If you were paying attention, of course.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The new form of muster drill is good in that it avoids crowds of inattentive people trying to put their life jackets on just as they have been told not to. However, the advantage of the old drill was that you actually took the route you might have to take in an emergency. I think having done it once with the lights all working might help everyone do it more effectively in an emergency, in the dark. The best way to learn is by doing. If you were paying attention, of course.

Many cannot find the way to the restaurant after being onboard for days and using it regularly so don't think they will remember route on first day of cruise.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Many cannot find the way to the restaurant after being onboard for days and using it regularly so don't think they will remember route on first day of cruise.

Many? Really? I’ve never encountered anyone. But all I say is it makes it a little more likely. Most people find doing something the second time easier than doing it the first time. It is why exam. practice works.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Many? Really? I’ve never encountered anyone. But all I say is it makes it a little more likely. Most people find doing something the second time easier than doing it the first time. It is why exam. practice works.

So why do people who have done many cruises when it comes to putting on lifejacket put it on back to front of upside down. Because it is human nature people forget and that is if they have really listened in the first time.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

So why do people who have done many cruises when it comes to putting on lifejacket put it on back to front of upside down. Because it is human nature people forget and that is if they have really listened in the first time.

Again do they?  Is it actually possible to put a life jacket on upside down? But the two things are not really comparable. You are likely to remember a route you took a few days ago more easily than a task your last performed several months ago.

Just now, exlondoner said:

Again do they?  Is it actually possible to put a life jacket on upside down? But the two things are not really comparable. You are likely to remember a route you took a few days ago more easily than a task your last performed several months ago.

I have seen at great laughter many trying to put them on upside down wondering why it won't over head properly but mostly back to front.

3 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

On the Canaries QV voyage the CWC party for Gold level and above took place in the Queens Room, and there was also the Senior Officers Party for Platinum and above on a different day. The general captain's welcome party for all passengers did not take place. The majority of passengers are gold level or above since once only a few voyages have been enjoyed on Cunard you reach Gold pretty quickly.

The muster drill seems to have become established as it was last year, with the requirement to go and have your cruise card scanned in by crew members at your muster station soon after boarding, and the muster drill video is already playing in your room when you go in, which you are required to watch, and that seems now to be in place of the full muster drill that used to take place with everyone physically present at the nominated time at your muster station, Anyone who does not know how to use the life jackets, can go to their muster station, where a crew member will show you how to put it on and remove it.  In addition the usual emergency horn practice sounding  and Captain's announcement over the PA system still takes place as always.

Have they continued the practice of providing a welcome aboard note from the captain and a complimentary glass of wine at dinner in lieu of the welcome aboard party?

5 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Have they continued the practice of providing a welcome aboard note from the captain and a complimentary glass of wine at dinner in lieu of the welcome aboard party?

I will let you know.

Will hopefully, give a bit of a commentary in a week or so's time.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, devolve said:

Hi 

What is the current situation like onboard QV. Are there any restrictions still in place, social distancing, mask wearing.

A very small percentage of passengers wore masks on my recent QV, and one or two crew members, but very much the exception. At some events they were proactive with hand gel, but not all. Plus some tables appear to have been moved further apart by small amounts.  I had the reduced muster drill, but we were then led to our particular muster station and told to consider the route to that point. I mean if they are going to encourage dancing then things have moved on. 

• Like 1