Help me decide which week, fall 2023, Canada/New England from Baltimore

ymncruise

I’m getting ready to book a fall cruise from Baltimore. The sailing options are 9/14, 9/28 or 10/12. 9/14 overnights in St John NB and skips Sydney. The ports for the other dates are Boston, Portland, St John NB, Halifax, and Sydney. I’m not sure which week/itinerary to pick. If you have suggestions for don’t miss excursions, please let me know. Thanks!

Depends on your goals.

For warmest weather, take the earliest date

For best chances of foliage, the 9/28 or 10/12 dates would probably be best, but there are never guarantees.  10/5 would most likely be smackdab in the middle of expected peak colors

Cruises offer multiple excursions because they aren't "One Size Fits All".  Without knowing your preferences it's pretty hard to suggest things.  Do you like hiking?  Other active outings?  Boat tours?  Museums?  Shopping? Cooking classes?  Etc

• Like 1

We have almost always done this cruise sometime in September. Weather has always been good, not too hot, not too cold.  Foliage is never something we think about, as we have great fall foliage at home, and don't notice it on the cruise.

As far as excursions go, all or most of these ports can be done without excursions, if you are able-bodied enough to do a bit of walking. The first time we did this cruise, we studied the ports in advance, and then just walked when we got there. Lots to do and see at all of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

Depends on your goals.

For warmest weather, take the earliest date

For best chances of foliage, the 9/28 or 10/12 dates would probably be best, but there are never guarantees.  10/5 would most likely be smackdab in the middle of expected peak colors

Cruises offer multiple excursions because they aren't "One Size Fits All".  Without knowing your preferences it's pretty hard to suggest things.  Do you like hiking?  Other active outings?  Boat tours?  Museums?  Shopping? Cooking classes?  Etc

We like doing things outdoors. Usually we’re at the beach on Caribbean cruises, but wanted to go somewhere different for a change. 

21 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We have almost always done this cruise sometime in September. Weather has always been good, not too hot, not too cold.  Foliage is never something we think about, as we have great fall foliage at home, and don't notice it on the cruise.

As far as excursions go, all or most of these ports can be done without excursions, if you are able-bodied enough to do a bit of walking. The first time we did this cruise, we studied the ports in advance, and then just walked when we got there. Lots to do and see at all of them.

Some of the itineraries skip Sydney and overnight in St John, NB. Do you think this would be a plus or minus?  

SO may options in these ports.  I lived in Boston until last summer.  You can do a Fenway Park tour or you can walk the Freedom Trail or you can sail on the Charles River or you can walk the Harborwalk along the waterfront or you can explore the Arnold Arboretum or you can take an historic Harbor Cruise.

See?  So many options, and even with the details you have provided about your interests, asking strangers to pick the best for you is nearly impossible.  It's like a stranger asking you what they should do in Baltimore.  So many possibilities!

Maybe look over the options the cruiseship is offering and see what sounds best for you and then ask about those specifically here?  We can tell you if it fits your needs or if there is a better way to do something (like, you don't need a $100 tour to do the Freedom Trail, or you can take public transport to Fenway).  Does that make sense?

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 1:26 PM, ymncruise said:

We like doing things outdoors. Usually we’re at the beach on Caribbean cruises, but wanted to go somewhere different for a change. 

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended).  I usually do warm weather beach Caribbean cruises.  I'm looking for something different also.  I see you're doing this itinerary in October.  I"m looking at August.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 7:33 PM, dbrown84 said:

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended).  I usually do warm weather beach Caribbean cruises.  I'm looking for something different also.  I see you're doing this itinerary in October.  I"m looking at August.

Hi!  I am used to Caribbean cruises too but I have done Alaska and Canada on the west side (Vancouver and Victoria).   I think I will miss the beaches, but I am looking at time off with a friend and the end of September is a good time for both of us to go somewhere.   Have you decided anything yet?

20 minutes ago, catinhat said:

Hi!  I am used to Caribbean cruises too but I have done Alaska and Canada on the west side (Vancouver and Victoria).   I think I will miss the beaches, but I am looking at time off with a friend and the end of September is a good time for both of us to go somewhere.   Have you decided anything yet?

August 27th out of NY.  the more I'm reading on the stops, the more it sounds like it will be nice.  At least I'll be able to drink and gamble if nothing else :)

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

August 27th out of NY.  the more I'm reading on the stops, the more it sounds like it will be nice.  At least I'll be able to drink and gamble if nothing else 🙂

There is always so much to do on the ship, so it should be fun no matter what!  Which ship are you on? I miss the Escape and Breakaway with the Howl at the Moon piano bar.  Wish it was on all NCL ships!

On 5/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, ymncruise said:

Some of the itineraries skip Sydney and overnight in St John, NB. Do you think this would be a plus or minus?  

In doing research on Saint John NB, I think an overnight there would be great.  You would really get to see/experience the low/high tide changes!   

• Like 1