Train transfer from Captain Cook hotel to Whittier

madre2

Hi all!  We will be staying at the Anchorage Captain Cook Hotel, one night pre cruise before taking the Princess transfers by train to Whittier to board the Majestic Princess in June.  If anyone has previously done this, can you tell me if someone is there to tell us what to do with our luggage, when we need to be in the lobby, and if we are restricted to what carryons we take on the train?  We will have two pieces of luggage and a smaller wheeled carryon, but we don’t know if we can take that on the train.  It will contain Ipads, medication, important documents, etc and we don’t really want that to be apart from us.  Thanks for your help and advice 

I could be wrong, but I think that the transfers from Anchorage to Whittier are by bus, not train. In my experience (several years ago) the train was part of the Tour part of a cruise tour, and was used to get us from Talkeetna (however spelled) to Whittier. 

In my experience, there is always someone available to provide the information that you need.  You wont be alone, assuming that there is a train transfer meeting at Captain Cook! 

There is definitely train service between Anchorage and Whittier.

If this is part of a Princess package, there should be a rep at the hotel to answer questions.

Others will chime in with their experiences.

• Like 1

when booking - is this an option in the transfers part - either transfer by motorcoach or by train?

2007 - we stayed at Captain Cook - and we went by Motorcoach the next morning - have no clue if the train transfer was an option then

• Like 1

There will be a Princess rep to meet you either at the airport or at the hotel. They really don't allow you to take anything other than a tote bag or backpack on the train (or bus, as I recall). You luggage will be tagged and picked up at the hotel and transferred by truck. There is really no place to put any luggage, especially bags with wheels, at your seat on the train other than under your feet or on your lap. That was my experience. ymmv

We will be on another Alaska cruisetour this season and I plan on carrying a backpack and DH will have a tote bag that I'm bringing folded up in our luggage. I'll just use the tote bag on the land tour transfers, if needed.

I hope you have good weather for the train transfer. The trip from Anchorage to Whittier is very scenic. Go out on the train platform for pictures!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, sirclean said:

I could be wrong, but I think that the transfers from Anchorage to Whittier are by bus, not train.

We are staying at the Captain Cook in June and have a train transfer the next morning to Whittier leaving Anchorage at 10AM. Package is through Princess.