Regional Pricing - Why is pricing in U.K. cheaper than in the US

Lovelocomoco

Hi i’m new to this website. I wanted to go on a cruise next summer to Europe on a princess cruise that comes out of Southampton. When I turned my vpn on to the U.K. just to investigate, I noticed a huge difference in price. The price was 30% cheaper than the price in the US. I tried to get that price but I need an address in the U.K. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone gotten caught? 

There may resident rates that will show. I know we get them for selected cruises here. 
The cancellation policies in the UK are also more restrictiveI believe, so maybe that is why the pricing is better? I’m sure someone in the UK can confirm that.

We don’t get refundable deposits so if you cancel you lose the lot which is pure profit to the cruise line. 

Also in the U.K. if you cancel anytime from 90 days before the cruise you lose the cruise fare on a sliding scale (25, 50, 75%) which goes up to 100% of the full fare at 14 days or less. Again the cruise line can resell the cabin and effectively get two full fares for the same cabin if they do.

It’s interesting that you are seeing lower prices here. We tend to think that those in the USA usually get better pricing which we can’t access. 

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We don’t get refundable deposits so if you cancel you lose the lot which is pure profit to the cruise line. 

Also in the U.K. if you cancel anytime from 90 days before the cruise you lose the cruise fare on a sliding scale (25, 50, 75%) which goes up to 100% of the full fare at 14 days or less. Again the cruise line can resell the cabin and effectively get two full fares for the same cabin if they do.

It’s interesting that you are seeing lower prices here. We tend to think that those in the USA usually get better pricing which we can’t access. 

I have access to Princess prices both in the USA an UK, at the moment the prices in the uk beat usa prices hands down, plus most cruises next year have 50% off the plus package 

• Like 2

Haven’t checked recently but we always found USA pricing more favourable than UK pricing…especially with T&Cs regarding re faring, making changes and cancellation. There is an offer showing on UK site at the moment offering 50% off Plus Package as Antsp mentioned.

Guest ldtr

I expect that the cruise market in the UK has recovered more slowly than the US market. As a result it would make sense to discount a bit more in that market in order to get the passenger numbers from the UK up to target.

Guest ldtr
39 minutes ago, Lovelocomoco said:

Would I get in trouble if I book with a TA from the U.K.? Will they stop me from boarding the ship? 

If you could get a TA to book you. There are a number of travel regulations  that apply to bookings in the UK. A TA in the US would mostly be concerned about the cruise line if they book a non US resident. In the UK the cruise line would be less of a concern then the other regulations.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

If you could get a TA to book you. There are a number of travel regulations  that apply to bookings in the UK. A TA in the US would mostly be concerned about the cruise line if they book a non US resident. In the UK the cruise line would be less of a concern then the other regulations.

The ta won't know where you are from, so you could use a UK address, the main issue is your captain circle number is tied to the country you live in. 

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
10 minutes ago, antsp said:

The ta won't know where you are from, so you could use a UK address, the main issue is your captain circle number is tied to the country you live in. 

Last time I checked many of the UK TAs required payment to be made via a UK credit card, or by a transfer from a UK bank. So more required then just claiming a UK address. A few that I know said that they have that requirement because their license does not allow them to sell to non UK residents.

Edited by ldtr

14 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Last time I checked many of the UK TAs required payment to be made via a UK credit card, or by a transfer from a UK bank. So more required then just claiming a UK address. A few that I know said that they have that requirement because their license does not allow them to sell to non UK residents.

I have done it both ways, the credits card is a non issue 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, antsp said:

I have access to Princess prices both in the USA an UK, at the moment the prices in the uk beat usa prices hands down, plus most cruises next year have 50% off the plus package 

Perhaps PCL is looking to get more formally dressed guests on the ships.  🤪

5 minutes ago, Lovelocomoco said:

I don’t know anyone in the U.K. Is it alright if I tell the TA a fake address or will they help me out with that. How did you do it?

I used a usa address I stayed in years ago via vrbo

38 minutes ago, Lovelocomoco said:

I don’t know anyone in the U.K. Is it alright if I tell the TA a fake address or will they help me out with that. How did you do it?

You appear to have joined Cruise Critic just to ask this question.

Unethical, wrong, etc. 

Do you have a UK passport?  

Deliberately providing false information to... go on a cruise. 

Just now, Lovelocomoco said:

No i do not have a U.K. passport. Will that be a problem? I think i’ll ask a TA about this and tell them. 

It’s unethical how they charge much less to the U.K. not asking a question

Absolutely not.  It's just like Florida or California resident deals.  How is that unethical?  They're getting LOCALS to cruise. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lovelocomoco said:

No i do not have a U.K. passport. Will that be a problem? I think i’ll ask a TA about this and tell them. 

It’s unethical how they charge much less to the U.K. not asking a question

You don't need to tell the TA anything, just book with a big uk online agent, no one will even look at your cruise. Have you sailed Princess before

5 minutes ago, antsp said:

You don't need to tell the TA anything, just book with a big uk online agent, no one will even look at your cruise. Have you sailed Princess before

I’m sailing with princess for the first time this summer in Alaska. Should I tell them a different account or the same account I used for the alaska cruise.