Is birth certificate acceptable?

carefree lady

46 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

@Rosroz What you describe when going through US immigration is common in other countries as well.  I’ve experienced surly immigration officers in Europe.  It’s the nature of their job. 
JMO

I have never been fingerprinted  or had iris scans  like  some  visitors  to the USA have to go through

Over the 40+ years I've been visiting the States, I've never been treated other than entirely professionally by American border control officers.  That said, I have observed what I thought was very rude and aggressive questioning of a tourist of South Asian origin at the border point at Niagara.

Though with Paraguay getting into the country is easy, since they lifted the $160 entrance fee back in 12/2021, but then they try to ding you on the way out. In May 2022 as I was going back thru their customs the bored officer stamped my passport and said, "That will be 225,000 Guarani (when it was G6830 to the dollar)." I'm like, "What, where is this fee mentioned anywhere? No one said anything to me about it when I arrived. And I've spent ALL of my Guarani. I don't even have G10,000 on me." He looked at me, laughed, and said, "You can pay it the next time you're back."

The States are have problems getting people to convert from traditional drivers license to Real ID. The Feds, after years of system implementation, continue to push out the requirement for boarding planes. Saw a statistic that if DHS ever followed the Real ID requirements for air travel, over half of the passengers wouldn’t be flying. 

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The States are have problems getting people to convert from traditional drivers license to Real ID. The Feds, after years of system implementation, continue to push out the requirement for boarding planes. Saw a statistic that if DHS ever followed the Real ID requirements for air travel, over half of the passengers wouldn’t be flying. 

Hey, Pinot.  It's not so much that there are problems getting people to convert to Real ID as it is to get states to convert.  Drivers' licenses are completely under the purview of the states and there are some that haven't updated their DMV systems.  It's hard for people to get a "Real ID" when their states aren't issuing ones that comply with Federal requirements.  Of course, the Federal government occasionally digs in its heels and states, "Anyone without a Real ID-compliant driver's license, as of 'MM/DD/YYYY', will not be permitted to board a flight without showing an alternate form of compliant ID."  The non-compliant states tell them to bang off and, as the deadline approaches, DHS and other involved agencies grant an extension to the deadline.  This cycle has continued for about 20 years. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

Hey, Pinot.  It's not so much that there are problems getting people to convert to Real ID as it is to get states to convert.  Drivers' licenses are completely under the purview of the states and there are some that haven't updated their DMV systems.  It's hard for people to get a "Real ID" when their states aren't issuing ones that comply with Federal requirements.  Of course, the Federal government occasionally digs in its heels and states, "Anyone without a Real ID-compliant driver's license, as of 'MM/DD/YYYY', will not be permitted to board a flight without showing an alternate form of compliant ID."  The non-compliant states tell them to bang off and, as the deadline approaches, DHS and other involved agencies grant an extension to the deadline.  This cycle has continued for about 20 years. 🤷‍♂️

In the past couple of States in which I’ve lived Real iD has been available for years. They cost extra, and take extra time to acquire. People don’t want to pay extra or take the time. Twenty years is long past enough time. As long as DHS delays enforcement, the longer people will wait to comply.

12 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

To be precise the Real ID Act was enacted in 2005 with an original effective in 2008, so FWIW the postponements has been going on for 15 years (or 17 years if you reflect the latest date of 2025).

REAL ID licenses have been available in all states since 2020 so it hasn't been a case of the states failing to comply and telling DHS to go pound salt for several years now.

The current reality is that it's people not wanting to go through the cumbersome process of getting a REAL ID license that caused the latest postponement to 2025.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Guest ldtr
On 5/17/2023 at 6:02 AM, Harters said:

That really surprises me. A birth certificate provides absolutely no proper evidence of identity of the person boarding.

It is birth certificate plus government issued ID.  One identifies the person, the other shows citizenship for those born in the US.