Dingle, Foynes/Limerick, Galway, Killybegs - Do I need to book a shore excursion?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 4:35 AM, Graycruise said:

Taking a cruise in October, never been to Ireland before.  For the ports mentioned above, would you recommend a guided excursion, or is there enough to see at the port to do this ourselves?

Go to the website  “ Whatsinport” .

25 minutes ago, Ciadan said:

Can I ask where your ship actually docks? Killybegs and Dingle are at completely opposite ends of the country.

I think the OP listed 4 separate ports. 

16 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think the OP listed 4 separate ports. 

The reason I asked is because I’m surprised if cruise ships dock at these small ports, so I wanted to double check. Too often I read queries from tourists who don’t understand the distance between places - eg thinking about kissing the Blarney Stone while on a visit to Dublin.

Anyway @Graycruise - Dingle is a lovely (small) town, but depending on your time, I would recommend doing a tour of Dingle Peninsula. Likewise with Galway - a lovely small city and very easy to walk around, but if there’s a tour of Connemara/ The Burren available, I’d recommend it. Both Dingle and Galway have lovely traditional bars and restaurants - with most of the bars serving  food.

I don’t know anything about Foynes, but if there’s time for a tour to the Cliffs of Moher, I’d recommend that.

Enjoy! 

Edited by Ciadan

• 3 weeks later...