Questions from an MSC newbie

jajsmom

This will be our 25th cruise, but the first on MSC (on Seaside.)  On other lines, we generally eat in the dining room for the first day lunch, but we are not in YC, and it does not appear that there are any dining rooms open for breakfast or lunch.  We are also traveling with a large group (14).  It looks like there are two different buffets on the ship.  Is one preferable over the other?  And will we have better luck finding seating for a large group?  We do not all have to be at the same table, but close to each other would be great.  Also, our group has all different loyalty levels, ranging from no loyalty up to Diamond.  Will everyone have very different boarding times, even though we will all be arriving together? And what time are staterooms generally open?  Thanks!

Dining room not open for embarking. 

2 buffets on most ships.  They are the same, one will just be smaller.

Everyone will board in their assigned group.

Cabins open at 2pm.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Dining room not open for embarking. 

2 buffets on most ships.  They are the same, one will just be smaller.

Everyone will board in their assigned group.

Cabins open at 2pm.

Disagree about two buffets.  There were/are two on Seaside and Seaview, but not Seashore and Seascape.  Not on Divina, which means there probably are not on the other three of that class.  not on Armonia, which means not on the other three of Armonia class.  So far that is ten of 23 ships without…. EM

Just a technicality but MSC often lists their older ships as having two buffets, just linked together on the same deck. Lyrica class like Armonia are divided forward/astern (outdoor/indoor) with two different names and different food options.  Fantasia class like Divina are similarly divided with two different names.

Seaside and Seaview have two buffets with overlapping food items but are on different decks,  with the deck 16 being smaller, having fewer options and aimed more at serving the pool decks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jajsmom said:

.....will we have better luck finding seating for a large group?  We do not all have to be at the same table, but close to each other would be great....

Impossible to tell, this will depend on numerous variables....how busy is the buffet; is it a sea day; are most others already in port exploring; are tables being cleared effectively etc.

My gut feeling is that, most of the time, the answer will be no!

On 5/18/2023 at 5:57 AM, jajsmom said:

And will we have better luck finding seating for a large group?

I often have seen very large groups sitting together in the MDR, they make the arrangement. I don´t know if you have to inform MSC already before the cruise (I guess your bookings are linked together) or if it is handled after boarding. Better call MSC.

Concerning the buffet, if you are willing to walk to the farthest away tables then you will easily enough tables to sit together🙂 

Edited by perakcruiser

59 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

I often have seen very large groups sitting together in the MDR, they make the arrangement. I don´t know if you have to inform MSC already before the cruise (I guess your bookings are linked together) or if it is handled after boarding. Better call MSC.

Concerning the buffet, if you are willing to walk to the farthest away tables then you will easily enough tables to sit together🙂 

Thanks.  Travel agent has linked us for dinner, but we will head towards the back of the buffet for embarkation.