Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

14 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Its very strange how often cruise lines seem to forget to mention free port / city shuttles!

PS I'm very impressed by your ability to seemingly produce a port / environs map for everywhere which comes up in conversation.  Do you have your own library of those from your own research or is there one particular website you're obtaining them from?

open street map is the site I use for such info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

It would seem that P&O are getting worse.. Am I being negative? Yes because in recent posts about problems there is little positive.

Which is why ICF will hopefully continue his live report.  I sense that his glass half full approach will provide a dose of positivity which will offer a more upbeat and representative picture of how P&O are doing and counterbalance some of the recent negativity.

• Like 3

Sorry for delay guys

Anyway here's a summary (more detail and photos to come)

I was unfair in advance to Angela Hartnett. We went for lunch to Hartnett and Holder at Limewood in Lyndhurst before boarding our cruise in Southampton. I predicted it would be good not great. It was great. Way better than Rick Steins dinner the night before which itself was good.

Stunning place. Superb lunch and cocktails. But very expensive. Lunch cocktails and one glass of wine came to 250 pounds for 2!!!

You could spend the night there but seriously expensive rooms. Albeit totally idyllic and very special place.

But anyone looking for a special meal before boarding the cruise Its an amazing place in The New Forest. 

We then drove to West quay Premier inn multi storey as someone on here recommended. No pre booking parked easily. 5 pounds per night there.

3 mins taxi from there to the terminal. We decided to walk as we were going to be early and we like walking. The cases have wheels.

Took us 20 minutes to walk it. 

Handed the cases in. Joined the early queue at 3.30pm (we were due at 4pm). There wasn't any other queue we could see. 

Took us 30 mins to check in and be on the ship in a constantly moving queue. 25 staff on the actual check in desks. About 8 security belts I would say. Smooth and easy. 

On the ship went to muster we literally passed it on way to room as its the atrium for us. 

In the room first thing I did was book 710 Club!!!

What do we say on here - forewarned is forearmed!!

Lol

I was expecting1 it to be full based on previous experience and being a late boarder  but I've bagged 3 nights at 7pm. So that's a pleasant surprise. Could have had 4 but already had epicurean booked that other night for 6pm.

I'm a fast eater but not that fast!!!! Lol

Gareth Gates is Limelight all week. All fully booked before I got on. But last  night was Ray Quinn and I've heard good stuff about him being great entertainer as well as singer so booked that. Being honest we prefer the sound of him to Gareth. No disrespect Gareth.

Highlight yesterday was going to Bodies (which ive never done before) but I had to because my team who I have season tickets before were playing for survival v Arsenal live at 5.30pm

What a start to the holiday - we shocked the world and beat Arsenal and I'm watching Premier League next season. I will be on a high all week now.

After that we went to Headliners at 8.30pm

We arrived at 8.21pm. Girl was checking people in.

1 guy in front of us when we arrived  without a booking. She told him you will need to use the app from now on but I can get you in now.

So he was happy we checked in. Plenty of seats despite this being the 8.30pm show and the first show that night due to boarding. 

I've taken pics of the lack of queues and the amount of seats still available at 8.21pm. No prob with queues for that. I'm mad we went 9 mins early!! Lol

Will go later in future!!

After that rushed to the buffet before it closed at 9.30pm. (We were still full from lunch earlier on)

Had really good lamb shoulder roast with mash and green beans. No other veg there. But what I had was really nice and just what I needed.

Then had 2 sticky puddings!

No problems with queues at all or getting seats

Can't remember what the wife had. Crab fish cakes I think?

As we left we passed creme brulees -which I love but hadn't seen before and never seen on Arvia either

And realised we were passing the late buffet!

Small area so more busy than buffet but still no queues and no problem for tables. 

I thought I'm not  sure this brulee can be good?

But tried one and was so good I took another back to the room. Better than Rick Steins the other night

Got to rush. Celebrating tonight. We are  going smart casual to the buffet and then to the cinema tonight

Did 2 great talks today. More details later and pics

Speak soon guys!

So far so good and so far no queues.

And the room isn't noisy. So all very good so far on Iona!!  

I've got some good tips though for others to come soon!!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Not everyone comes in via the M3/M27 though.  Spoke to quite a few on here who have come from the West and also Bournemouth way.  They have used the A36 and the A303 or via Salisbury.  The Southampton Road through Salisbury is non existent - well I'd say so anyway as our esteemed MP John Glen is "watching it" - being a single track road with superstores either side funelling to a roundabout each end with a Tesco, Premier Inn and McDonalds at the furthest point .  My home is 1 mile from the furthest end of this road and regularly takes 30 minutes to reach the Tesco there.

The road system also welcomes quite often 19 mile diversions when the A303 or M3 are closed.

I agree. I join the M27 at Cadnam from New Forest and the worse delays are often between the Salisbury and Southampton Junction. Frequently it can be just bumper to bumper all the way from not long after I join. 

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Sorry for delay guys

I was unfair in advance to Angela Hartnett. We went for lunch to Hartnett and Holder at Limewood in Lyndhurst before boarding our cruise in Southampton. I predicted it would be good not great. It was great. Way better than Rick Steins dinner the night before which itself was good.

Stunning place. Superb lunch and cocktails. But very expensive. Lunch cocktails and one glass of wine came to 250 pounds for 2!!!

You could spend the night there but seriously expensive rooms. Albeit totally idyllic and very special place.

But anyone looking for a special meal before boarding the cruise Its an amazing place in The New Forest. 

We then drove to West quay Premier inn multi storey as someone on here recommended. No pre booking parked easily. 5 pounds per night there.

3 mins taxi from there to the terminal. We decided to walk as we were going to be early and we like walking. The cases have wheels.

Handed the cases in. Joined the early queue at 3.30pm (we were due at 4pm). There wasn't any other queue we could see. 

Took us 30 mins to check in and be on the ship in a constantly moving queue. 25 staff on the actual check in desks. About 8 security belts I would say. Smooth and easy. 

On the ship went to muster we literally passed it on way to room as its the atrium for us. 

Lol

I was expecting1 it to be full based on previous experience and being a late boarder  but I've bagged 3 nights at 7pm. So that's a pleasant surprise. Could have had 4 but already had epicurean booked that other night for 6pm.

Gareth Gates is Limelight all week. All fully booked before I got on. But last  night was Ray Quinn and I've heard good stuff about him being great entertainer as well as singer so booked that. Being honest we prefer the sound of him to Gareth. No disrespect Gareth.

Highlight yesterday was going to Bodies (which ive never done before) but I had to because my team who I have season tickets before were playing for survival v Arsenal live at 5.30pm

What a start to the holiday - we shocked the world and beat Arsenal and I'm watching Premier League next season. I will be on a high all week now.

1 guy in front of us when we arrived  without a booking. She told him you will need to use the app from now on but I can get you in now.

So he was happy we checked in. Plenty of seats despite this being the 8.30pm show and the first show that night due to boarding. 

I've taken pics of the lack of queues and the amount of seats still available at 8.21pm. No prob with queues for that. I'm mad we went 9 mins early!! Lol

After that rushed to the buffet before it closed at 9.30pm. (We were still full from lunch earlier on)

Had really good lamb shoulder roast with mash and green beans. No other veg there. But what I had was really nice and just what I needed.

As we left we passed creme brulees -which I love but hadn't seen before and never seen on Arvia either

Small area so more busy than buffet but still no queues and no problem for tables. 

But tried one and was so good I took another back to the room. Better than Rick Steins the other night

Got to rush. Celebrating tonight. We are  going smart casual to the buffet and then to the cinema tonight

Speak soon guys!

Great to hear from you. If you’ve caught up with the thread you will be very relieved that you were late boarders! If our daughters get early afternoon times for August I might advise them to turn up late. Keep the updates coming. All tips welcome for our summer Iona cruise, particularly on all the speciality restaurants. 

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Sorry for delay guys

Lol

Speak soon guys!

Glad everything is 100% perfect. Wish I could afford that amount for a meal. We spend that every fortnight! on food.

• Like 1

Just now, Yorkypete said:

Glad everything is 100% perfect. Wish I could afford that amount for a meal. We spend that every fortnight! on food.

Didn't know It was going to be that expensive tbf

But I don't begrudge paying for special experiences

That's why we can only afford inside savers on the ship and Premier inn car parks!!!

Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Great to hear from you. If you’ve caught up with the thread you will be very relieved that you were late boarders! If our daughters get early afternoon times for August I might advise them to turn up late. Keep the updates coming. All tips welcome for our summer Iona cruise, particularly on all the speciality restaurants. 

What happened earlier?

17 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Glad everything is 100% perfect. Wish I could afford that amount for a meal. We spend that every fortnight! on 

See you have something in common after all - ICF spent his on food too!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Sorry for delay guys

Lol

Speak soon guys!

Awesome, sound like a similar experience to us on Iona a couple of times last year.

Have a great cruise and continue to enjoy it.

I'm so glad you're back. You lift my spirit.

Thanks for the report on Angela Hartnett. I have seen her on cookery shows and nothing looks spectacular, so I thought it must taste exceptional.

Edited by happy v

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Normally in the Quays I only have trio of desserts

But seeing as it's Celebration Night I've gone for Quad of desserts tonight

From left to right

Blackberry jelly

Chocolate fudge cake

Ginger cake (I think)

Lemon Posset with rhubarbIMG_20230521_1859025.thumb.jpg.b2a7ec37555167aca4ce718f2e512dc4.jpg

No wonder you have so much energy!

Just now, cruising.mark.uk said:

I suspect it was more a weather delay - a virtual storm in a social media teacup.

Reason I ask is when we got to check in I said not long now.

And she replied

"yes fingers crossed - but we had a big delay the other day because of an accident and were 90 minutes late finishing"

She didn't mention any problems yesterday and they seemed ahead of schedule when we arrived?

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Reason I ask is when we got to check in I said not long now.

You are better placed than anyone else posting on here to find out whether there were really any significant queues / delays on boarding.

BTW, congrats on the football.  We were at Trent Bridge yesterday for the cricket and left not long before the football match started.  The Home fans were quite enthusiastic and fairly well-lubricated at that point, so I bet there was a real party afterwards!  I've had a soft spot for Forest since Clough's day.  So, well done them.

• Thanks 1