Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We travel to Southampton quite regularly, for various reasons. The ‘bad’ bit, if there’s going to be one, is the short stretch of the M3 between Winchester and Eastleigh, which I’m guessing that the majority of people travelling to a cruise use. It’s been worse over the last 6-9 months due to major roadworks, narrow lanes and reduced speed limits. However, if anything, the traffic is worse northbound, so should have no meaningful impact on cruise ship operations. 

I’m inclined to agree with several others that the boarding problems are of P&Os making and nothing to do with roadworks or traffic. On the rare occasion that there’s a major traffic problem (as there was recently), this results in people being very late which, if anything, takes pressure off the embarkation process, as less people are arriving well ahead of their scheduled time. 

I have no personal experience of the cruise lines that others have mentioned never have the issues that P&O experience regularly, however they could even learn from other companies within the carnival brand. We were struck with how much better the embarkation and disembarkation process was on QM2 a few weeks back. Admittedly, she’s not the size of Iona or Arvia, but isn’t a tiddler and, as you know, was full. 

Not everyone comes in via the M3/M27 though.  Spoke to quite a few on here who have come from the West and also Bournemouth way.  They have used the A36 and the A303 or via Salisbury.  The Southampton Road through Salisbury is non existent - well I'd say so anyway as our esteemed MP John Glen is "watching it" - being a single track road with superstores either side funelling to a roundabout each end with a Tesco, Premier Inn and McDonalds at the furthest point .  My home is 1 mile from the furthest end of this road and regularly takes 30 minutes to reach the Tesco there.

The road system also welcomes quite often 19 mile diversions when the A303 or M3 are closed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Not everyone comes in via the M3/M27 though.  Spoke to quite a few on here who have come from the West and also Bournemouth way.  They have used the A36 and the A303 or via Salisbury.  The Southampton Road through Salisbury is non existent - well I'd say so anyway as our esteemed MP John Glen is "watching it" - being a single track road with superstores either side funelling to a roundabout each end with a Tesco, Premier Inn and McDonalds at the furthest point .  My home is 1 mile from the furthest end of this road and regularly takes 30 minutes to reach the Tesco there.

The road system also welcomes quite often 19 mile diversions when the A303 or M3 are closed.

I appreciate that not everyone comes that way, but I suspect that’s the main route. We live in the West but never use the Salisbury route. Far too slow and congested. M4 / A34 / M3 far quicker.

Anyway, my point is that congestion, roadworks, accidents, traffic jams or whatever can’t be used as the excuse for the queues. If anything, traffic problems lessen the problem by resulting in less early arrivals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we have had much news from anyone on board?   It will be interesting to see if Iona does indeed seem to be better organised than Arvia.  Although quite a lot might depend on numbers on board.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I don't think we have had much news from anyone on board?   It will be interesting to see if Iona does indeed seem to be better organised than Arvia.  Although quite a lot might depend on numbers on board.

I was quite surprised that ICF didn’t post as, even if he wasn’t caught up in the worst of the embarkation queues, it would have been a major talking point on the ship last night. Maybe it doesn’t fit the narrative 😉. Any first time cruisers thinking that a cruise was a good way to avoid the horrendous queues seen at airports on occasion must have been quite shocked when they arrived at the terminal yesterday afternoon!

It certainly seems as though recent reviews of Iona haven’t been as bad as those from Arvia. I’m guessing that there are two main reasons for this. Iona has two additional MDRs which help ease the pressure on formal nights and Iona’s itineraries are less reliant on shuttle buses. However, we shall see. I suspect that the ship will be ‘full’, as in the 5,200 lower berths occupied, but will be well short of the summer school holiday capacity of 6,200 (unless I am mistaken, half term is still a week away). 

• Like 1

I’m hoping ICF is just having such a good time he hasn’t had the inclination to update us yet.  He had quite a full on day yesterday, with a nice meal booked for lunch.  With the good weather the New Forest could have been busier than usual, or should that be as busy as it usually is, which means they could have been in traffic queues then people queues.

maybe they boarded and just called it a night.

Even with the queuing to embark that seemed to be experienced yesterday, that’s still better than an airport, before your flight, when you watch time tick away worrying you might miss your flight! It’s like you’ve arrived, and are just waiting to get through immigration.  

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Apparently (it was on fb, so must be true!!😂) people who had a 2pm boarding time were still not on board at 4!!!

If that is the norm, the new system is just not working... 

Andy 

I have just seen this. I don't think anyone is given 2pm boarding as that is for coaches. Not that I would suggest anything read on FB would not be true 😕!

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I appreciate that not everyone comes that way, but I suspect that’s the main route. We live in the West but never use the Salisbury route. Far too slow and congested. M4 / A34 / M3 far quicker.

Anyway, my point is that congestion, roadworks, accidents, traffic jams or whatever can’t be used as the excuse for the queues. If anything, traffic problems lessen the problem by resulting in less early arrivals. 

Just mentioning what a couple of people told me, they thought Salisbury would be a good stopover.

21 minutes ago, happy v said:

I have just seen this. I don't think anyone is given 2pm boarding as that is for coaches. Not that I would suggest anything read on FB would not be true 😕!

We have, for Iona in three weeks.  I'm a little bit annoyed as we've always been a wee bit earlier, and we've moved up a tier since then.

We're using Triangle for the first time and I can't see from Google maps where the disabled bays are; can anyone help?

Also, I can't establish the best route from it to the terminal with a wheelchair. If I know ahead that it's awkward, I may drop off our lass first.

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

We have, for Iona in three weeks.  I'm a little bit annoyed as we've always been a wee bit earlier, and we've moved up a tier since then.

We're using Triangle for the first time and I can't see from Google maps where the disabled bays are; can anyone help?

Also, I can't establish the best route from it to the terminal with a wheelchair. If I know ahead that it's awkward, I may drop off our lass first.

Please be aware that Triangle is just a pay and display, no allocated parking type car park.  Heard numerous reports of people having to queue waiting for cars to leave to get a prepaid space.  Reports of the taxi service have been very mixed.  With a wheelchair user if you were unable to change your parking I would drop them off first at the terminal.  

I never usually recommend people use West Quay car park for a cruise, but even I would use that over Triangle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We used the M3 on Tuesday morning. There was a fatal accident just in front of us just after Winchester going South. I understand the Motorway was closed until late in the day for a police investigation. All very tragic. The police investigation will show a van ploughed in to the back of a broken down artic. Why shut the Motorway all day ?. I think the roadworks go on for 9 months.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Please be aware that Triangle is just a pay and display, no allocated parking type car park.  Heard numerous reports of people having to queue waiting for cars to leave to get a prepaid space.  Reports of the taxi service have been very mixed.  With a wheelchair user if you were unable to change your parking I would drop them off first at the terminal.  

I never usually recommend people use West Quay car park for a cruise, but even I would use that over Triangle. 

Thanks. I booked a year ago as it was a good rate. I've since learned about potential problems. Unfortunately, it's too late to cancel and rebook with another service without losing loads of cash. I'll take your advice and drop her and the luggage off first. 

• Like 1

Just now, TigerB said:

Thanks. I booked a year ago as it was a good rate. I've since learned about potential problems. Unfortunately, it's too late to cancel and rebook with another service without losing loads of cash. I'll take your advice and drop her and the luggage off first. 

Good idea. Even when I use Parking4Cruises, I drop my wife and the cases off first before taking the car to the short stay car park - and that’s only 100 yards or so!

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Looking at socila media the queues for Iona are about the same as Arvia or worse. There is more info about Iona as she does 7 day cruises whereas Arvia I believe is 14. 

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Good idea. Even when I use Parking4Cruises, I drop my wife and the cases off first before taking the car to the short stay car park - and that’s only 100 yards or so!

That is the way P4C recomend you operate, otherwise you will have to carry all your luggage back to the drop off point.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That is the way P4C recomend you operate, otherwise you will have to carry all your luggage back to the drop off point.

Makes sense, although I’ve seen people wheeling their suitcases from the short stay car park once they’ve checked their cars in with P4C.

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Perhaps he's found a queue onboard ... and isn't sure what to do as he's never seen one.

Lucky man! Wish I had some pink specs  like his! Unfortunately, have to say things not too good on Arcadia at present. 

Just now, Fionboard said:

Lucky man! Wish I had some pink specs  like his! Unfortunately, have to say things not too good on Arcadia at present. 

Sorry to hear that.  Is it the sickness problems again?

6 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Sorry to hear that. I know you've had itinerary changes and the sickness bug onboard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to hear that.  Is it the sickness problems again?

Partly. Stuck in Barca for two days as tendering in Villefranche not possible so port (my favourite) cancelled. No internet TV for next two days apparently. Football fans must be ashore watching matches as pub is empty! Loss of drink revenue?  Yesterday, shuttle to Valencia did not go to city but dumped everyone at the science park and shopping centre miles away! Lots of very unhappy pax! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fionboard said:

Partly. Stuck in Barca for two days as tendering in Villefranche not possible so port (my favourite) cancelled. No internet TV for next two days apparently. Football fans must be ashore watching matches as pub is empty! Loss of drink revenue?  Yesterday, shuttle to Valencia did not go to city but dumped everyone at the science park and shopping centre miles away! Lots of very unhappy pax! 

That sounds pretty dire, this is clearly a bad couple of weeks for a few ships.  Sorry you lost your favourite port, that's always very disappointing.  Understand this bad weather in the Med may hang around a while as well.  We were very lucky today, brilliant sunshine but yesterday was dire and this ship ain't a good place for 6,000 people when they can't get out the door.

On the good side everyone so far seems very well. No sighs of anyone coughing or sneezing either so the aircon kennel cough hasn't got anyone yet.

• Like 3