Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

31 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No

Although it's on the trolley they didn't wheel it to us which was disappointing

Nor crepes suzettes. I had to go to the trolley to watch it being made

Health and safety gone mad!!!

Yet on Cunard (also part of Carnival) it is deemed safe to flambé tableside 🙄 It made me smile that they had to check every time that they weren’t under a sprinkler as, according to the restaurant manager, “that would empty the swimming pool” 😂 

ICF - brilliant thread and is proving to be invaluable in helping me plan our August cruise. Whilst we will have 1,000 more souls on board than on your cruise, the principles will be the same (in terms of busiest and quietest areas), so till relevant. I’m particularly interested in all your restaurant reviews, as with only 7 days we don’t want to waste a day on a bad one. Have they got the Norwegian Taster menu in Epicurean this week? I think it would be tonight if it’s happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Aurora and Arcadia both have big TVs. Don't know about Ventura though as have not been on her this year. 

Although our accessible cabin TV on Aurora did have a flat screen TV it was an older model and probably no more than a 24" screen. When I queried why we did not have a bigger wall mounted 32" TV, it was because they thought the older TV would be adequate. Poor thinking by P&O as most disabled passenger tend to spend more time in their cabins, and watch more TV than average.

• Like 2

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Although our accessible cabin TV on Aurora did have a flat screen TV it was an older model and probably no more than a 24" screen. When I queried why we did not have a bigger wall mounted 32" TV, it was because they thought the older TV would be adequate. Poor thinking by P&O as most disabled passenger tend to spend more time in their cabins, and watch more TV than average.

Agreed. We were really disappointed about that as well. I took it up when we got home and they came up with some nonsense about the large screen TVs not fitting in the accessible cabins due to the different cabin configuration. I replied with a photo showing where the larger TV could easily be fitted but I never heard from them again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Aurora and Arcadia both have big TVs. Don't know about Ventura though as have not been on her this year. 

I certainly wouldn't describe the tv in my standard outside aboard Aurora last year as large. It was an updated one and slightly larger than previously but I would guess no bigger than 24" inch screen. The picture quality however wasn't great but I wonder if that is down to old wiring rather than tv itself. Fortunately for me, a tv is the least important thing in my cabin especially now there is no choice of music channels and all you get music-wise is the corny, repetitive 'Aurora radio'.

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We had Breakfast in the Buffet today it's the same scenario 

All the tables are full closest to the buffet

But walk 30 seconds further down there are loads of tables and window seats with the amazing views of the fjords

If you were inclined you could do a review of one of these ships entirely positive just showing the uncrowded areas and everything looking empty or the exact opposite and everything looking crowded

The truth is - it depends if walking 20 to 30 seconds to quiet areas appeals or has even occurred to the guests

The more you know the ships the better the options

The buffet is busy but no real queues of more than 30 seconds for anything. More choices and options than the quays

We are only using the buffet though as it's closest to where we've been looking at the fjords from the 18th deck

The quays offers all we need for breakfast

Here is my choice of tables in Arvias buffet at 6.45 on a non formal night.  The seating near the serveries is almost full

BUFFET A.jpg

BUFFET B.jpg

BUFFET C.jpg

• Like 2

Really enjoying your blog ICF, and agreeing with much of your comments. However we were disappointed with most of the Headliners shows on Iona, despite the high tech gizmos which they seem to rely on over song and dance content. Although I did enjoy the Chinese dragon dancing, which I think was part of The Skys The Limit.

I also disagree with your suggestion that walking further into the buffet you will find lots of empty tables. We are always late into the buffet around 9:30-10:00, which seems the busiest time for breakfast, and at that time it is generally very full, and certainly we have great difficulty finding a free table with wheelchair access, but we always manage in the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yet on Cunard (also part of Carnival) it is deemed safe to flambé tableside 🙄 It made me smile that they had to check every time that they weren’t under a sprinkler as, according to the restaurant manager, “that would empty the swimming pool” 😂 

ICF - brilliant thread and is proving to be invaluable in helping me plan our August cruise. Whilst we will have 1,000 more souls on board than on your cruise, the principles will be the same (in terms of busiest and quietest areas), so till relevant. I’m particularly interested in all your restaurant reviews, as with only 7 days we don’t want to waste a day on a bad one. Have they got the Norwegian Taster menu in Epicurean this week? I think it would be tonight if it’s happening.

It's tomorrow night

Was sold out on the booking system when we got on.

I'm not sure if the enquire onboard message just before the cruise was because it had already sold out. Or whether it sold out to people who got on before me

Hope that makes sense! 

But I'm on a waiting list. And keep pestering them to see if they can squeeze us in as well!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leomins said:

I’m enjoying your blog, it reminds me why I liked Iona so much.

How have you found it compared to Arvia? No swim up bar but probably less heat to enjoy it?

Not many differences

Swim up bar is one

The quays has an American diner servery on Iona  instead of roast on arvia

But Arvia has the American diner restaurant of course

Green and Co and mizhuana are missing here as well

Also don't think I've seen the Mission Control escape room on  Iona that Arvia has?

The room attendants on Iona seem far more around and in your face (in a good way) than on Arvia. Much more like the old days where they were working for tips.

Or maybe that's just our room attendant called Grace - who we will no doubt be tipping

We've seen her all the time

Never saw them hardly at all on arvia

• Thanks 1

My gripe about P and O is the cost of Wi-Fi. It's extortion. But same on all the cruise lines. A real hidden extra cost that some of us can't avoid having to pay for work reasons. 

My other gripe is the extortionate costs in the sweet shop

Take a look at this Cadburys dairy milk they charge 5.50 for in the shop

(I took the special offer and bought 2 for 8 pounds. Still a total ripoff of course)

I've put  the remote control in the image so you can see the size for 5.50

IMG_20230522_0734406.jpg

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

And also after today I have to give the Norwegian Fjords full credit. They are stunning and Scottish Western Highlands definitely have some serious competition all of  s sudden here

And unsurprisingly my photos don't do the Fjords justice

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's tomorrow night

Was sold out on the booking system when we got on.

I'm not sure if the enquire onboard message just before the cruise was because it had already sold out. Or whether it sold out to people who got on before me

Hope that makes sense! 

But I'm on a waiting list. And keep pestering them to see if they can squeeze us in as well!!

That is something that we really want to do. I'll be up at sparrow's fart the morning our dining bookings become available.  I hope it isn't, but if it's held back for booking onboard, I'll be at the terminal at 7am and logging on.😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Tiny TV in our balcony cabin on Ventura, C deck last week.  I commented (negatively) about this on the feedback form, especially as we are due to spend 35 nights on her next year.

• Like 1

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

Interesting chat with an elderly couple on the road train to Olsen today

They've cruised on Britannia, Ventura and Iona now.

The only one they didn't like was Ventura. They said everywhere on board was too noisy?

I assumed the smaller ships would be quieter? 

Did they go during school holidays?

Today we got the land train in Olgen

1 hr 15  mins one hour round trip   the cost was 25 pounds each approx

We looked at a bus to the cable car 1.5 miles away with cable car  included

That was 70 pounds each per person. Seemed very steep (excuse the pun) plus the clouds are low today

Not sure we would have seen a lot from up there and I thought the price was more exploitative than Cadburys dairy milk on iona

• Haha 1