Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

Anyway we are up early.

We don't have balcony as you know so we are leaving room shortly to see the views

They look great  on the ships bow camera on our room TV

Ps I think I've just created a new top tip

Leave the TV on "ships bow camera" and it's like having an outside cabin at the very front of the ship with a big rectangular window

Lol

See below when I add a picture

IMG_20230523_0604198.jpg

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 10

36 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Anyway we are up early.

We don't have balcony as you know so we are leaving room shortly to see the views

They look great  on the ships bow camera on our room TV

Ps I think I've just created a new top tip

Leave the TV on "ships bow camera" and it's like having an outside cabin at the very front of the ship with a big rectangular window

Lol

See below when I add a picture

IMG_20230523_0604198.jpg

That's looking great on the newer TV's lovely view. Going back to our inside cabin days we also used to leave the TV on bow camera and throughout the night all you would see was the little red dot off the navigation light ,until dawn broke .

Sometimes even in the balcony cabins we would do this, just wish the older ships in the fleet had good TV'S like you have got.

Great photos ..Carry on cruising that man . 🙂 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The calm serene spaces to eat are less than 20 seconds walk away outside and inside

See below

Thats 2 different seating area 20 seconds walk from the serving areas barely being used

IMG_20230522_0812139.jpg

IMG_20230522_0812053.jpg

We used those quieter area’s most days when we were on Iona last year. The only time we had difficulty finding a seat there was lunchtime on the sea day home when it was too wet to eat outside. The club house became the Quays overflow.

• Like 1

We had Breakfast in the Buffet today it's the same scenario 

All the tables are full closest to the buffet

But walk 30 seconds further down there are loads of tables and window seats with the amazing views of the fjords

If you were inclined you could do a review of one of these ships entirely positive just showing the uncrowded areas and everything looking empty or the exact opposite and everything looking crowded

The truth is - it depends if walking 20 to 30 seconds to quiet areas appeals or has even occurred to the guests

The more you know the ships the better the options

The buffet is busy but no real queues of more than 30 seconds for anything. More choices and options than the quays

We are only using the buffet though as it's closest to where we've been looking at the fjords from the 18th deck

The quays offers all we need for breakfast

• Like 8

I need to echo Megabears positive comments I saw about the entertainment on Arvia.

It's the same on Iona

You cannot fault the shows in the theatre. We've not watched anything else yet

Sky's the limit on the first night was really really good. (We saw it  on Arvia as well)

8 dancers and 4 or 5 singers. 45 minutes non stop energy and entertainment. Song followed by a dance followed by a song etc

All with incredible visuals behind the entertainers on the huge big screen. Incredible props

There's a plane taking off etc

Honestly it's top class entertainment 

I've even got used to the  odd song you've not heard before that I realise now is used as a filler to move the story along

We then saw a guy last night in headliners called Jayson Keeler who combines pop songs with classical twists etc

He was great and at various times had the entire audience singing the chorus

Last night in unison we all sang the following back at him on his cue

"Why must I be a teenager in love"

Lol

You can imagine it!!

If you can't leave Headliners theatre with a smile on your face you shouldn't really be on holiday

It's fun, quality entertainment in a state of the art theatre with stunningly big screen visuals that only add to the show

A huge plus for Arvia and Iona

• Like 11

As many will know I am a huge fan of the app on Arvia and Iona

(Its never not worked for us so far)

Biggest reason is we like the 8.30pm theatre shows and don't like to queue or get to the theatre early

As we dine early and have cocktails so every minute counts for us before 8.30pm

Anyway I've mentioned this earlier. On the first night we arrived at the theatre at 8.21pm

There was a lady checking names 

One guest was ahead of us. He didn't have a booking. She told him normally you will need to pre-book but I can let you in tonight

Then she let us in having checked us off

That took 5 seconds

There were plenty of seats left 

I was actually thinking we should have got there later!

It was so easy zero queues etc

I can only guess any queues at the theatre when the app is working. Which it always has been on our cruises to date are for people still going early before It even opens because that's what they do by habit or they want the first choice of seat

Every seat is good in there though IMO

There really really is no need to queue at all (unless you need disabled seats sadly) 

Here's images at 8.21pm on our first night for the most popular 8.30pm slot theatre show

Look how many seats are still available

Pre-booking ensures there's no full theatres and no need to queue or get there early at all 

Dream come true for us

IMG_20230520_2020589.jpg

IMG_20230520_2021343.jpg

IMG_20230520_2021476.jpg

IMG_20230520_2021507.jpg

• Like 5

Last night Pre-booked theatre even more important to us

As we had cocktails in Crow's Nest at 6pm followed by dinner at 6.30pm in Epicurean so we arrived at the theatre at 8.24pm calmly knowing we would have seats available

By now there was nobody checking people off and we walked straight in. (Maybe when the theatre is below a certain number of bookings they don't even send someone to check off regardless)

Anyway here are the photos from last night

Look at the video playing behind the singer. It really adds to the show

IMG_20230522_1922164.jpg

IMG_20230522_1923286.jpg

IMG_20230522_2005397.jpg

• Like 3

Forgot to say the singer had the Iona Orchestra of 6 behind him

2 guitarists

1 drummer

1 keyboard

1 on trumpet/horn

1 on saxaphone/clarinet

It makes a big difference to a theatre show having the orchestra backing them rather than backing tapes 

And that big screen is bigger than the ones big name touring bands have as it's permanent and can be bigger and better accordingly

You don't get that size screen at theatre  venues this size in the real world (if they have a screen full stop)

It's state of the art and next level

Absolutely brilliant for background scenes for the musical shows

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kalos said:

That's looking great on the newer TV's lovely view. Going back to our inside cabin days we also used to leave the TV on bow camera and throughout the night all you would see was the little red dot off the navigation light ,until dawn broke .

Sometimes even in the balcony cabins we would do this, just wish the older ships in the fleet had good TV'S like you have got.

Great photos ..Carry on cruising that man . 🙂 

Aurora and Arcadia both have big TVs. Don't know about Ventura though as have not been on her this year. 

• Thanks 2

Amazed you have time for all these reports!.  I do wish, however, that you could find the magic way of getting the photos the right way up - some are, some aren't.  I think there is a way to do it, and hope someone will come on here and describe it- can't be too difficult, as others have managed it.  Apologies for the small grumble; you seem to have everything else sorted out in order to make the most of your cruise.  Dare I say that those who always manage to not get it right are maybe older than you, and so  they tend to do the same thing out of habit?  As someone much older myself I know that this is easily done.  I am so ancient that I could not possibly contemplate a ship with 5,000 fellow passengers, and this is becoming the norm except for some of the luxury lines, who are going smaller with expedition type ships.

• Like 2

Morning ICF from a drizzly damp Barcelona.  I used the Quays this morning as MDR queues were busy and I can confirm no toast available so no need to check. I also found out you can't have mushrooms in an omelette which was weird as there were copious amounts on people's full English! 

I can confirm I took my food outside and was one of only five people out there but is as I said raining, only a small amount although that's now increased. 

This is our Quays at 9.25 so later than yourself, but a lot are off here early as we were in to allow 8.00am ashore.

Picture 3 shows window seats available which had just been cleared  very good table clearing and turnaround in there.  Other areas were very busy but ice cream parlour seating was free and some families using it as it's got wider area for buggies.

We had Sky's the Limit last night as well. Very good.  I was a late arrival (for me!) at 8.25. No queue but cabin checked.  There were a handful of seats left but nothing like your number.

I'm in Limelight tonight but will take photos in theatre tomorrow.  Totally pointless observation but I couldn't figure out why there was always one empty seat in a row every night. I counted the seats in a row - yes I know that's very sad - and they are all odd.

Have a great day.  I'm being held on the ship as due to inclement weather the shuttle buses aren't available and they aren't letting anyone off at the moment.  Had hoped to use the port bus but am not even allowed off the ship at present.

20230523_093534.jpg

20230523_093458.jpg

20230523_093449.jpg

20230523_093413.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

As many will know I am a huge fan of the app on Arvia and Iona

(Its never not worked for us so far)

Biggest reason is we like the 8.30pm theatre shows and don't like to queue or get to the theatre early

As we dine early and have cocktails so every minute counts for us before 8.30pm

Anyway I've mentioned this earlier. On the first night we arrived at the theatre at 8.21pm

There was a lady checking names 

One guest was ahead of us. He didn't have a booking. She told him normally you will need to pre-book but I can let you in tonight

Then she let us in having checked us off

That took 5 seconds

There were plenty of seats left 

I was actually thinking we should have got there later!

It was so easy zero queues etc

I can only guess any queues at the theatre when the app is working. Which it always has been on our cruises to date are for people still going early before It even opens because that's what they do by habit or they want the first choice of seat

Every seat is good in there though IMO

There really really is no need to queue at all (unless you need disabled seats sadly) 

Here's images at 8.21pm on our first night for the most popular 8.30pm slot theatre show

Look how many seats are still available

Pre-booking ensures there's no full theatres and no need to queue or get there early at all 

Dream come true for us

IMG_20230520_2020589.jpg

IMG_20230520_2021343.jpg

IMG_20230520_2021476.jpg

IMG_20230520_2021507.jpg

Great report. Lots of information. The last two photos are the right way round can you remember if they were taken any differently?

Really pleased you are having a great time. I always say that Norwegian fjord cruises are different and cannot be compared to others.

You will always find that the buffet is the most popular area for breakfast due to the views, and like on any ship if the weather is a little off most passengers will sit inside and not outside. Also alot of passengers are up very early due to the views sailing into the port and the early berthing. Without the need for shuttles (mostly) they can come and go as they please with ease, so it leads to a more relaxed feeling on the ship.

May I ask, I know you say that the app always works for you, but if you have all your entertainment and speciality dining booked before leaving when else do you actually use the app? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Really pleased you are having a great time. I always say that Norwegian fjord cruises are different and cannot be compared to others.

You will always find that the buffet is the most popular area for breakfast due to the views, and like on any ship if the weather is a little off most passengers will sit inside and not outside. Also alot of passengers are up very early due to the views sailing into the port and the early berthing. Without the need for shuttles (mostly) they can come and go as they please with ease, so it leads to a more relaxed feeling on the ship.

May I ask, I know you say that the app always works for you, but if you have all your entertainment and speciality dining booked before leaving when else do you actually use the app? 

I use it to remind me when we've booked anything!! And where we need to be and when

You've just reminded me to check for tonight

Lol

Will be trying it for MDR soon as well

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Amazed you have time for all these reports!.  I do wish, however, that you could find the magic way of getting the photos the right way up - some are, some aren't.  I think there is a way to do it, and hope someone will come on here and describe it- can't be too difficult, as others have managed it.  Apologies for the small grumble; you seem to have everything else sorted out in order to make the most of your cruise.  Dare I say that those who always manage to not get it right are maybe older than you, and so  they tend to do the same thing out of habit?  As someone much older myself I know that this is easily done.  I am so ancient that I could not possibly contemplate a ship with 5,000 fellow passengers, and this is becoming the norm except for some of the luxury lines, who are going smaller with expedition type ships.

I post whilst I wait for my wife to get ready!!!

Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

18 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Being able to book speciality dining for most nights before you sail on either Iona and Arvia is what makes the difference here I think (you cannot do this on all of the fleet before you sail).

Most passengers will not be able to do that for a number of reasons but the biggest is the cost, many cannot afford to eat speciality every night and hence they will be relying on the app for the MDR (plus your fare includes the MDR, so you have already paid for it!). This is not an age thing, so don't worry!

On Iona the app seems to work better (thanks to her 4 MDRs), but it is still prone to glitches. ICF hasn't had to book anything using the app yet, I expect when they try the MDR it will work fine but for other passengers who are using it every single night then they are bound to notice the glitches more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Tonight we went Crows Nest for cocktails

6pm busier than I expected. Lots of people head there for cocktails before getting ready for there evenings clearly as all the window seats except two were already taken

However second row and inner tables had loads of spots but we took the window ones

Followed by superb meal in Epicurean we matched with glasses of wine ourselves 

I googled which wine went with each course and bought a glass we shared accordingly to taste with the food

Lots of images below that tell the story of the meal

I have a video of crepe suzettes I will try and load tomorrow when my phone has more charge as well

Can't fault the meal at all

IMG_20230522_1711478.jpg

IMG_20230522_1711566.jpg

IMG_20230522_1657446.jpg

IMG_20230522_1657305.jpg

IMG_20230522_1657587.jpg

IMG_20230522_1736295.jpg

IMG_20230522_1747490.jpg

IMG_20230522_1736295.jpg

IMG_20230522_1748026.jpg

IMG_20230522_1752044.jpg

IMG_20230522_1817002.jpg

IMG_20230522_1817096.jpg

IMG_20230522_1817053.jpg

IMG_20230522_1847190.jpg

IMG_20230522_1818296.jpg

IMG_20230522_1859060.jpg

IMG_20230522_1859099.jpg

IMG_20230522_1910143.jpg

IMG_20230522_1828344.jpg

IMG_20230522_1733585.jpg

I note the ham is on a trolley, so I guess they're back to preparing some dishes at the table. Was it the case for the crêpes too?

7 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I note the ham is on a trolley, so I guess they're back to preparing some dishes at the table. Was it the case for the crêpes too?

No

Although it's on the trolley they didn't wheel it to us which was disappointing

Nor crepes suzettes. I had to go to the trolley to watch it being made

Health and safety gone mad!!!

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No

Although it's on the trolley they didn't wheel it to us which was disappointing

Nor crepes suzettes. I had to go to the trolley to watch it being made

Health and safety gone mad!!!

So, preparing crêpes on the trolley but not at the table, and allow you to go and watch it? What an upside down world we live in!🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1