Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

28 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

It’s cruise day, I’m looking forward to following along.

You have a nice day planned, before boarding.

would be really grateful if you could post the “New” Glass House drinks menu.  Hoping my favourites, remain outside the drinks package, (We don’t but a package) so they don’t run dry during the cruise.

Will do

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I really want to see King Arthur's round table?

I thought that was all a myth?

Isn't it?

It's well worth the visit, there's usually an informative guide and a museum up the stairs. Don't miss the Queen's Garden, accessed through the Great Hall, it's a little gem.

• Like 1

ICF, you previously wrote that you intend to try the Norwegian tasting menu in Epicurean, but it has an 'enquire on board' option only.  Do you recall from your Cruise Planner what day it falls on? I have a feeling it is the day of the first port, Stavanger.

It's a little disappointing that you can't book it ahead; this is a must do for us and, by booking ahead you also benefit from the discounts. Perhaps, at the point of booking, they want you do choose either the regular option or the veggie one.

Anyway, if you do book it, I would be grateful of some feedback; i.e. what day it falls on; is it booked slots as usual in Epicurean or, because it is a set menu, are they perhaps doing two sittings. 

Thanks

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TigerB said:

ICF, you previously wrote that you intend to try the Norwegian tasting menu in Epicurean, but it has an 'enquire on board' option only.  Do you recall from your Cruise Planner what day it falls on? I have a feeling it is the day of the first port, Stavanger.

It's a little disappointing that you can't book it ahead; this is a must do for us and, by booking ahead you also benefit from the discounts. Perhaps, at the point of booking, they want you do choose either the regular option or the veggie one.

Anyway, if you do book it, I would be grateful of some feedback; i.e. what day it falls on; is it booked slots as usual in Epicurean or, because it is a set menu, are they perhaps doing two sittings. 

Thanks

ICF will be able to confirm during the cruise, but when I started a thread on the Norwegian Taster menu somebody mentioned that it was on one of the fjord days (from memory, Olden), which would mean that it wasn’t on the Stavanger day. They mentioned that the transit down the fjord was a lovely backdrop to the meal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

ICF will be able to confirm during the cruise, but when I started a thread on the Norwegian Taster menu somebody mentioned that it was on one of the fjord days (from memory, Olden), which would mean that it wasn’t on the Stavanger day. They mentioned that the transit down the fjord was a lovely backdrop to the meal. 

Thanks Selbourne 👍  I remember now that you previously posted about it, while we were away last time; but I've slept since then and had forgotten!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

One of my favourite cruise memories, cruising out of Olden on Ventura with a window seat while we ate in The Beach House, fabulous!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well as usual work was hectic before we left so we were 90 mins late arriving in Winchester and so we missed the cocktail booking we had.

It's a top rated cocktail bar called Incognito - so popular you have to book 1 hour slots and pay 20 pounds deposit.

And only slot we could get was 5.30pm to 6.30pm

We rang and cancelled whilst driving down and they kindly refunded the deposit which they didn't have to so that was good at least

Had to drive straight to Rick Steins before we checked into Hotel as table was booked for 6.45pm. We just made it. Luckily there was car parks nearby

The meal was very good. Really nice Mojito for me when we arrived. My wife had a Margarita.

I had Cod in a batter with ginger to start. My wife had fish soup. We both really enjoyed these.

Mains I had crispy Chinese Pork Belly. (I can't resist pork belly anywhere I go now)

My wife had crab linguine. 

Mine was absolutely delicious. My wife's was bland and not enough crab. 

Nothing bad enough to complain about. We need something really bad to complain about a meal

For dessert we shared a chocolate rose cream dessert which was amazing and a creme brulee which was ok

We just had a jug of water alonsgide the 2 cocktails so just 2 drinks we paid for. My wife's crab linguine main she only had starter size portion and paid starter price

Bill came to 122.18 including 12.5 per cent service charge. Without any wine

The waitress was very young but very smiley and friendly. And she was the one that persuaded us to have the  chocolate cream dessert so she earnt the tip just for that!

Will post some pics when my wife wakes up and sends them to me! My phone was out of charge!

Got to do some admin now.

Hotel is a spa hotel under refurbishment.Simply called Winchester Hotel and Spa. The refurbished bit we are in is nice. My wife is going to see if she can get an appointment for nails done here in the spa.  If not she's going to walk into town and look for a nail place

The little bit of Winchester we've seen looks great. Lots to see and do here. We will need to come back another time to enjoy the place as I've got some admin to do before we head to Lyndhurst for lunch

I really want to see King Arthur's round table?

I thought that was all a myth?

Isn't it?

Brilliant mick taking. Well done. Hope you got the admin out of the way. I used to have to do that for the 20 or so people I was responsible for but now it is only for the two of us and is just holiday admin. My wife was responsible for 40+ people but had others to help with the admin work as she was the boss.

Just seen pictures of the massive queue outside the terminal waiting to board Iona... 

Reports say these are not all early arrivers, 2 hour delays when arriving on time. If true, not good... 

Seems to be the norm now. 

Hope IFC is on board with a cocktail🍹

Andy 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

ICF doesn't do queues - the magic fairy will have gotten him on-board just fine I hope.

He's probably playing bingo already. It was recommended. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just seen pictures of the massive queue outside the terminal waiting to board Iona... 

Reports say these are not all early arrivers, 2 hour delays when arriving on time. If true, not good... 

Andy 

Let’s hope that’s not the case and it’s just the early arrivals queueing. If not, what a rubbish start to a cruise. Bad enough on a nice day like today, but when it’s cold and wet it would be another matter altogether. Also, this is an off peak cruise - not a school holiday one. Hopefully ICF will reassure us later. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Let’s hope that’s not the case and it’s just the early arrivals queueing. If not, what a rubbish start to a cruise. Bad enough on a nice day like today, but when it’s cold and wet it would be another matter altogether. Also, this is an off peak cruise - not a school holiday one. Hopefully ICF will reassure us later. 

I don't think this is a particularly new phenomenon.  We have spent many an hour,or so in the shed.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I don't think this is a particularly new phenomenon.  We have spent many an hour,or so in the shed.

At least in the shed you have access to seats and loos. Recent posts (including Andy’s) refer to long queues outside the terminal building. Very different. 

• Like 2

Makes you wonder is this a case of big ship big problem that just P&O struggle with ?

Will the smaller P&O ships in the fleet run smooth when picking up at Southampton.

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Makes you wonder is this a case of big ship big problem that just P&O struggle with ?

Will the smaller P&O ships in the fleet run smooth when picking up at Southampton.

TBH Kalos even the smaller ships take forever compared to Celebrity and RC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I have seen those pics too. I hope they can get access to the terminal toilets etc.

• Like 1

I think it is more dependent on the number of actual passengers they have to get on, and when they turn up. Plus if there have been any delays with the shoreside of operations. This cruise that ICF is on may be particularly busy. Megabear says her Arvia cruise is busy and it is isn't school holiday time. 

I hope they all get on soon and like others have said I hope they have access to the terminal facilities.

It will be interesting to follow ICF's account of this cruise as I think it will be a different cruising experience compared to their Arvia Caribbean cruise.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 1

Slightly controversial, but I am/was supportive of the inside seating area in the terminal not being used for early arrivals. After all, how many were happy to say I’ll just turn up and wait so the place was gridlocked.  By stopping the relative comfort of turning up and waiting, eventually the message gets through, stick to your boarding time, and people begin to comply. 

However, I would be very disappointed if people that are there on time, but caught up in a delayed boarding situation weren’t allowed to make use of those seats in the terminal.

I saw the photo of queue, am hoping one of them is a continual moving one going through the process of check in and security. 

• Like 1