Nightmare traffic jam !!!! Ventura trip to Amsterdam

Tan210

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We are fortunate that we have an alternative to the M3/M27. That's our plan for this summer for our trips to Dorset, or the New forest.

We come from Devon, so usually use the southerly route.  A30, through Dorchester etc.  Having said that, we have had holdups on the M27 from the West before, but not more than half an hour.  Never mind, we will go the day before.  Not worth the hassle and hey another night I don't have to cook!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We come from Devon, so usually use the southerly route.  A30, through Dorchester etc.  Having said that, we have had holdups on the M27 from the West before, but not more than half an hour.  Never mind, we will go the day before.  Not worth the hassle and hey another night I don't have to cook!!

I know that route Jean. Not the best roads are they. At least if the road gets blocked you can swing off on another road.  On the Motorway, no way to turn round.

7 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Use to hate the A34 then joining the M3 onto the M27 

We came that way coming back from Dorset on Thursday. It wasn't too bad, but the West bound traffic was a crawl.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Unfortunately coaches would be stuck as well.

Yes but I  think that they are more likely  to wait for a coach load of passengers than they would for a couple of people in a car. 

• Like 1

When the boat train use to run that broke down quite a bit and I believe Ventura and I think Aurora was the other waited has long as possible  before having to depart. 

I think Ventura left before they arrived because of the short schedule she was on but Aurora did wait.

Edited by carlanthony24

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Well, I have just booked to stay in a hotel in Southampton before our October cruise.  Never bothered before, but hey, why have stress!

You will wake up the next morning and think "why haven't I done this before ?"🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

You will wake up the next morning and think "why haven't I done this before ?"🙂

I Agree!!  Might have a couple of hours to kill the next morning though, depending on check in time.  Remind me as Caribbean do I have to stick to my given time or not?

• Like 1

For those coming from the north west, West Midlands and wales a route that we use when travelling down the day before a cruise is M5, off junction 11a, A roads via Swindon, Andover, Stockbridge and Romsey to Southampton,with the benefit of stopping at our favourite pub by the side of the River Test between Andover and Stockbridge the May Fly.

Also if there are severe problems on the M3 and coming down the A34 come off just after Whitchurch onto the A303 towards Andover and the go down to Southampton via Stockbridge and Romsey.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I Agree!!  Might have a couple of hours to kill the next morning though, depending on check in time.  Remind me as Caribbean do I have to stick to my given time or not?

How does embarkation work at Southampton thread will give you the latest info .

• Like 1

This just shows why you have to leave early. So all those people complaining about passengers arriving at the port early and the people coming back at them saying it’s in case of traffic problems, perhaps they should read this and understand why people leave early just in case. 

Us getting up a few hours earlier and setting off early and then possibly having to wait in a queue is preferable to missing the ship if things unfortunately do go wrong. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, we drive from Devon normally, about 3.5 hours.  Normally have a check in time of 1330.  I have read the other thread and am still not sure if I can arrive early as Caribbean.  

Priority check in  is a benefit of the Peninsular Caribbean tier according to the P&O website

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Priority check in  is a benefit of the Peninsular Caribbean tier according to the P&O website

Yes, Suites and Ligurian first, then other tiers that have priority, then the rest according to time.

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, we drive from Devon normally, about 3.5 hours.  Normally have a check in time of 1330.  I have read the other thread and am still not sure if I can arrive early as Caribbean.  

If you scroll down to the Caribbean level it says you can arrive from 1 o’clock 

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/Peninsular-Club.pdf

I am definitely taking a copy of this with me next time as we had a 4  o’clock arrival time and we’re Caribbean but the over zealous port people wouldn’t let us board or the two we spoke to wouldn’t,  They basically said well we’re not P & O . When we did get onboard others said we should have kicked up about it, we missed our first Caribbean arrival lunch reception because of them plus waited in a queue for 3 hours. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I am definitely taking a copy of this with me next time as we had a 4  o’clock arrival time and we’re Caribbean but the over zealous port people wouldn’t let us board or the two we spoke to wouldn’t,  They basically said well we’re not P & O . When we did get onboard others said we should have kicked up about it, we missed our first Caribbean arrival lunch reception because of them plus waited in a queue for 3 hours. 

OK, that's clear - thanks.

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/P

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

eninsular-Club.pdf

I think that pdf is dated 2017 so things have changed. i am Caribbean tier and for the last few cruises I have had a 12 noon boarding time with priority boarding so I aim to get there just before noon. Easy if you spend the night in a hotel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I think that pdf is dated 2017 so things have changed. i am Caribbean tier and for the last few cruises I have had a 12 noon boarding time with priority boarding so I aim to get there just before noon. Easy if you spend the night in a hotel.

We will be Caribbean on our next cruise and tbh I don’t mind if it is 12 or 1 o’clock as long as we don’t get a 3.30 or 4 o’clock. Anyone know if we do get a late boarding whether we can get on earlier because we are Caribbean? Obviously it didn’t work for poster a bit above though. 

Editing that pdf is still showing on their website is there suppose to be a newer one then? 

Edited by Jazzytelly

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Are you in a suite ?  I have been Caribbean for some time and I always get 1.30 check in.

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Are you in a suite ?  I have been Caribbean for some time and I always get 1.30 check in.

The next 4 cruises are Inside Single on Britannia, Inside in good location on Aurora, Balcony on Arcadia and Sea View on Ventura.

5 hours ago, July morning said:

I'm Caribbean and on our boarding pass it had 3.30 pm but we were on board by 12.30 and had the loyalty lunch in the restaurant with the drinks a nice way to start the cruise.

Yes, you should get a priority boarding otherwise with a late boarding time you will miss the loyalty lunch. i think they may be cutting back on the loyalty perks as on Arvia recently there were several hundred passengers at Caribbean tier or above.