Sky Princess- Iceland Missed Ports

Rick&Jeannie

For me the lesson learned on far northern cruises always choose a ship with a covered/ indoor pool, unlike Sky Princess. Otherwise everyone is squeezing into the inside bars, the outside pools  and outside spaces are almost redundant. This weather problem would have been much more bearable if we had inside deckchairs and pools.

Edited by Glide
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Glide said:

For me the lesson learned on far northern cruises always choose a ship with a covered/ indoor pool, unlike Sky Princess. Otherwise everyone is squeezing into the inside bars, the outside pools  and outside spaces are almost redundant. This weather problem would have been much more bearable if we had inside deckchairs and pools.

I complete agree with you as I am sailing Alaska right now. While we have great weather - I miss the covered pool. I wish Princess still had the older ships that had the covered pool areas. It seems to make the other areas less crowded.

That is my favorite place to read a book outside. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phonejock said:

Just wondering was the magic show you did not like MAGIC TO DO? I saw it pre Covid and thought it was more of a production show than a magic show

I'm not the tagged poster but I can speak on this. It was Billy Kidd. She said she hadn't really done cruise shows before and well, it kind of showed, though one also wonders if she'd done any show before. Which I feel bad about, considering I have seen her other work before on other programs, but this felt like such an anomaly. It was just sort of a cringe-fest.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phonejock said:

@mmiicc Just wondering was the magic show you did not like MAGIC TO DO? I saw it pre Covid and thought it was more of a production show than a magic show. 

Magic to do is not a show on the Sky Princess I know it's available on the Ruby Princess and I'm not sure which others but definitely not on the royal class. I'm sure they're talking about a magician who is a guest entertainer on board.

9 hours ago, Glide said:

I was on a TA on the Sky and didn't notice a covered pool. I guess it's possible, but since it was so cold, i think I would have noticed it

2 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

I was on a TA on the Sky and didn't notice a covered pool. I guess it's possible, but since it was so cold, i think I would have noticed it

The quote says "unlike Sky Princess".

10 hours ago, Coral said:

I wish Princess still had the older ships that had the covered pool areas.

⁉️

Princess still has the older ships with covered pool that sail Alaska at the moment. Sapphire and Grand Princess for example. 

11 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

I'm not the tagged poster but I can speak on this. It was Billy Kidd. She said she hadn't really done cruise shows before and well, it kind of showed, though one also wonders if she'd done any show before. Which I feel bad about, considering I have seen her other work before on other programs, but this felt like such an anomaly. It was just sort of a cringe-fest.

I recognise that name from last year on the Enchanted, she's definitely not new to cruise ships, and it was a poor show too

57 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, we actually made it to port in Isafjordur.  This was one of the original ports that was first canceled.   This is the 2nd Iceland port so far...supposedly the jury is still out on Reykjavik. 

Hoo you have a fantastic day in islafjodir. Maybe weather and wind gods be on your side. Who knows, maybe Reykjavik will be reinstated.

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

is it? I believe it's already been pretty well established we're skipping it.

I'm going strictly on what was relayed to me by IET. They said they had spoken directly with Princess and that *supposedly* Reykjavik was "pending decision".  That surprised me...I thought the same as you that it was a done deal...and maybe (probably) it is.

54 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, it sure looks like we will NOT have rain today,

Raining now - and there was snow early this morning!

Might as well have missed Isafjordur - not seen such a depressing place in a long time.

All of the onboard data has no mention of Reykjavik so it looks pretty unlikely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, we actually made it to port in Isafjordur.  This was one of the original ports that was first canceled.   This is the 2nd Iceland port so far...supposedly the jury is still out on Reykjavik. 

So sorry you’ve had such bad luck. My first Princess cruise was Norway and Iceland on the Sapphire Princess for the itinerary and it was fantastic enough to make me give up my longtime loyalty only to Celebrity. Hope you enjoy Isafjordur! We had a nice hike in the hills above the village there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

⁉️

Princess still has the older ships with covered pool that sail Alaska at the moment. Sapphire and Grand Princess for example. 

They had several more. There was a time when a covered pool was standard on Princess ships.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mmiicc said:

New to this thread. The magic show had very little magic-trick content, just childish nonsense prattle going boringly on and on. 

I will say that apart from the afore mentioned, IMHO the entertainment has been very good thus far. The shows and the musicians and artists in the smaller venues have been better than many cruises that we have done. 

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm going strictly on what was relayed to me by IET. They said they had spoken directly with Princess and that *supposedly* Reykjavik was "pending decision".  That surprised me...I thought the same as you that it was a done deal...and maybe (probably) it is.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Original itinerary:

Akureyri- canceled

Isafjordur- originally canceled, but we did go there today

Grundarfjordur- canceled 

Reykjavik- canceled 

So we made it to ONE port that was on our itinerary, and a substituted port, Seydisfjordur. In Seydisfjordur Princess Shore Excursions were unable to schedule ANY excursions, so we were on our own..

I imagine the Captain had his reasons for canceling, ☹️ but ironically enough, the weather on those days seemed fine…

Just a very disappointing expensive cruise to Iceland…

And I might also add that National Holidays occurred on 2 out of 3 ports in Norway- pretty much everything was closed….

23 minutes ago, deltaqueenie said:

Original itinerary:

Akureyri- canceled

Isafjordur- originally canceled, but we did go there today

Grundarfjordur- canceled 

Reykjavik- canceled 

So we made it to ONE port that was on our itinerary, and a substituted port, Seydisfjordur. In Seydisfjordur Princess Shore Excursions were unable to schedule ANY excursions, so we were on our own..

I imagine the Captain had his reasons for canceling, ☹️ but ironically enough, the weather on those days seemed fine…

Just a very disappointing expensive cruise to Iceland…

And I might also add that National Holidays occurred on 2 out of 3 ports in Norway- pretty much everything was closed….

Is Reykjavik still possible for tomorrow?

Edited by Teechur
punctuation repair

2 hours ago, Teechur said:

Is Reykjavik still possible for tomorrow?

No. The Sky took the opposite direction and is on eastern course now. The bridgecam shows Southampton as the next destination.

Screenshot2023-05-2222_56_55.thumb.png.d283d35d3ba139c83be9eb5bc72c3e8c.png

So the captains avoids the14 feet swell west and south of Iceland by returning north of the island.

• Thanks 1

I would be devastated if I were on this cruise. It's one we've looked at as one we'd like to do in the future. I wish there was a way to know how often ports are missed on a cruise itinerary (kind of like airline cancelation/delay rates) so we have that information before booking.