Sky Princess- Iceland Missed Ports

Rick&Jeannie

6 minutes ago, mmiicc said:

On another forum was this post regarding the passengers evacuated by helicopter on May 24.
350003524_211029691806899_8703182567779080935_n.jpg.7a23254882318068a4292eb6ef6a8837.jpg

Here is another newspaper article about the incident:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12156265/Cruise-ship-passenger-airlifted-hospital-800-miles-home-says-wasnt-ill.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZSB0HPI52ljaIqFNtWEGTiz9ZAYQ8nQmLN6xlSjtxuKqQDJmGZi7sQmw

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Princess built the Royal class ships with two propellers and a standard rudder to save a few bucks.  Almost all others ships this size have azipods that make them much more maneuverable in high winds.  This is the reason they can't sail the Inside Passage going out of Vancouver and frequently have to approach Ketchikan from the north.  Many of Iceland's ports have difficult approaches in windy weather.  While I expect to miss a few ports here and there when cruising and put up with rough seas, I truly resent that Princess knew they would have problems getting into ports with these ships, but went with the cheaper design anyway.  I have no desire to sail on any of the Royal class ships.  

You can read the pilot's report here:  https://krbd-org.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/SEAPA_VLCS-v2.pdf

News article is here:  https://alaskapublic.org/2019/04/22/southeast-alaska-pilots-raise-concerns-over-royal-princess-megaship/

It seems to amaze me what fellow CC members know, thank you for the info. While onboard, I actually spoke to Passenger Services about this, and they didn’t know if the Sky was a more difficult ship to maneuver.  After we were missing so many ports, I asked why we didn’t substitute another port- I inquired about the Shetland Islands or Faroe Islands (we sailed by them twice), was told ‘it couldn’t be arranged’..From past experience when missing ports, we usually had another port substituted. Maybe this azipod issue was a factor. It looks like the Royal Class ships are: Royal, Regal, Majestic, and Sky. So why would Princess use one of these ships on this difficult Iceland itinerary?

Year ago when I worked in an Emergency Room we had a term called "GOMER" which stood for "Get Out of My Emergency Room."  I think many cruise ship physicians practice something similar and want difficult cases to get off their ship.  

Hank

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Always held in the Piazza, all of the railings are absolutely full of people watching as well as a full Piazza with people waiting to have their picture made with the captain pouring from a bottle.  It is *well* attended.

WOW I wish Princess would realise that they have a capacity issue on their ships which could be eased by holding multiple events and shows on the same night. I think I’d rather have a less crowded event and simply a champagne reception rather than a fancy waterfall that is so crowded.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 12:21 AM, mmiicc said:

On another forum was this post regarding the passengers evacuated by helicopter on May 24.
350003524_211029691806899_8703182567779080935_n.jpg.7a23254882318068a4292eb6ef6a8837.jpg

Interestingly what he said in his Facebook post is different to what he allegedly said to the Daily mail

Mr Cassidy is reluctant to make a claim on his travel insurance for fear it will push up his premiums’

im truly sorry his holiday was ruined, it sounds awful for them both. I hope they can get compensated for the holiday time missed & medical expenses. Insurance should cover both

if what he said to The Daily Mail is true, not claiming on insurance makes no sense.

We’ve claimed for £2.5K on our annual travel insurance just last summer. We’ve claimed for 2 cancelled holidays over Covid amounting to much more than that too. (luckily had pandemic cover- although we only got that addition for the weather travel disruption it also covered)

Our premium increase was v small

I hope this gets resolved quickly

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 1:18 AM, Hlitner said:

I think many cruise ship physicians practice something similar and want difficult cases to get off their ship.  

Hank

That's interesting, Hank.

The poor passenger that was lifted off didn't even need to be evacuated. He had muscle strain!

image.png.00e10655d0fcc2f4653ef4c077f57f6b.png

"I think you need in injection"

8 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Interestingly what he said in his Facebook post is different to what he allegedly said to the Daily mail

Mr Cassidy is reluctant to make a claim on his travel insurance for fear it will push up his premiums’

im truly sorry his holiday was ruined, it sounds awful for them both. I hope they can get compensated for the holiday time missed & medical expenses. Insurance should cover both

if what he said to The Daily Mail is true, not claiming on insurance makes no sense.

We’ve claimed for £2.5K on our annual travel insurance just last summer. We’ve claimed for 2 cancelled holidays over Covid amounting to much more than that too. (luckily had pandemic cover- although we only got that addition for the weather travel disruption it also covered)

Our premium increase was v small

I hope this gets resolved quickly

I wonder if his concern about his insurance premium is because of his age? (I don't know it).

I was chatting to one person of 78 that said that when you get to 80, your insurance cost is as much as the cost of a cruise.

I just received my full refund from Iceland Everywhere (IET), it was such a pleasure to work with Dodo and Sigi. Some of these ports were canceled on a moment’s notice, and I was constantly canceling and rebooking these tours while onboard the Sky….I HIGHLY recommend this company!

IMG_5545.thumb.jpeg.98f515910862ed73a611c4fe9c0503f3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Sorry this is unrelated but for those that were on the Sky for this sailing, can you please let me know if they had kettles in the rooms?

thank you

Yes, they did have kettles in our cabin at least. (Mini-suite) As an American it was a bit of a waste...we just don't do hot drinks in our cabin. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yes, they did have kettles in our cabin at least. (Mini-suite) As an American it was a bit of a waste...we just don't do hot drinks in our cabin. 

Great thank you. Yes us in the UK like to get hot drinks!!!!

23 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Great thank you. Yes us in the UK like to get hot drinks!!!

Kettles are in inside rooms also.  Had to move it off the desk area as it was in the way.  Another  from the US with no need for hot water in the cabin. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Kettles are in inside rooms also.  Had to move it off the desk area as it was in the way.  Another  from the US with no need for hot water in the cabin. 

I always find it interesting but they have the kettles in the cabin on the ships are out of the UK. Whereas when the ships are homeport in the United States you have the option to get a kettle through the hop by your cabin steward to leave it in your room. I do enjoy a cup of tea I am American but no need to do it in the cabin I usually will do it for breakfast or during dessert after dinner well I'm dining.

• Like 1

Like Coral’s Live From, I just came across this thread too, and thank everyone who contributed to it. It sounds like it was quite disappointing, but cancellations like this, though rare, are not unheard of. Better to skip a port than to experience a shipwreck trying to dock in the wind.

Or so I’ve heard. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The evening shows in the theater have been listed on the app. I am a little bit surprised they're not doing there are three headline shows from the singers and dancers. Luckily I've seen them all but I'm sad that they don't have my new favorite Spotlight Bar at least it's not listed as of now. However they do have five skies and rock opera.

7 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

The evening shows in the theater have been listed on the app. I am a little bit surprised they're not doing there are three headline shows from the singers and dancers. Luckily I've seen them all but I'm sad that they don't have my new favorite Spotlight Bar at least it's not listed as of now. However they do have five skies and rock opera.

We are to have Spotlight Bar sometime before getting back to Southampton. Don’t know about 17 June cruise though. Rock Opera and 5 Skies were great. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coo359a2 said:

We are to have Spotlight Bar sometime before getting back to Southampton. Don’t know about 17 June cruise though. Rock Opera and 5 Skies were great. 

Hoping they eventually squeeze spotlight bar into the schedule. I found it all that they don't have any singer and dancer shows from The Princess cast the first week of our sailing according to the schedule. I seen five guys on rock opera multiple times Love the shows which I get to the point I don't even bother going which is fine with me cuz then it's a night I can just do something else relaxing. But I really enjoyed Spotlight bar tremendously the first time I saw it, and would love to see it again.

2 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

We do have a lot of comedian acts on board the two weeks. I think it was two different singers and two groups perhaps singing.