Norway [Fjords] - gift to bring home ideas?

I want to bring a small consumable gift for my neighbor who is watching our house and mail. I have brought her Kona coffee from Hawaii, jam from Paris in the past and she has brought me truffle spread from Italy, licorice from Amsterdam etc. Any ideas for Norway?  I would like something she can consume, and have ideas about jam, rather than "stuff", especially of the tourist variety (reindeer themed etc.). Any thoughts?

There may be customs regulations against bringing meat/sausage into the US.  Best to check on that before trying.  Otherwise, you will just need to eat all your reindeer hot dogs while you are there!! 😁

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

Sweaters seems to be mentioned a lot.

They are indeed as they are beautiful to look at and beautifully made, but the downside is that being quality,they cost $$$, possibly far in excess of what  the OP would like to spend. 

There is some  discussion about them on this recent thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2843022-buying-sweaters-in-norway/#comment-62977272

A less expensive option might be to look at gloves/mittens or a scarf or socks instead and we saw lots of these for sale.

Edited by edinburgher

There may be customs regulations against bringing meat/sausage into the US.  Best to check on that before trying. 

Not talking 'fresh' .... you'll see packages of dry sausage, some like salami and other like jerky.

Since I can order and have shipped to Florida I'd not worry too much about carrying.

image.thumb.png.9730ab958005a76bc26b154251a6bcdb.png

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 2

Norwegians are also proud of their chocolates ....

My favorite Norwegian chocolates

If you’re traveling to Norway I’d recommend you to try out some delicious Norwegian chocolate. Here are three types from Freia, which are famous for their Melkesjokolade (milk chocolate) and Kvikk Lunsj. I’ve also listed Stratos and Smash from Nidar, one of the largest distributors of sweets to Norwegians.

Freia Chocolate Norway

Nidar Smash Chocolate

https://norwaywithpal.com/norway-travel-blog/best-norwegian-chocolate-bar/

AND waffles

Picture 1 of 1

visit a grocery store!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 3

Reindeer sausage, even if it's dried and cured, will be confiscated by US customs. I wanted to know why, and it turns out they have a blanket ban on meat from ruminants due to mad cow disease. The only upside was watching a customs official try (and fail) to explain what "ruminant" meant.

Freia chocolate is what I would recommend. The classic milk chocolate is a good choice, but there is also Walters Mandler that has bits of salted almonds mixed in and is many people's personal favorite.

large.jpg

Also from Freia and very Norwegian is Kvikk Lunsj. Literally "quick lunch." It's like a Kit-Kat, but "It's not a Kit-Kat!" It's a staple for hiking and cross-country skiing in the Norwegian mountains, and the wafer-chocolate combination is designed to still be bitten into at cold temperatures instead of freezing solid like pure chocolate. And the inside of the wrapper is typically printed with the Fjellvettreglene (Norwegian hiking rules).

58093.png

In the non-chocolate category, lefsegodt is packaged snacks of lefse bread with butter and cinnamon. Typisk norsk and found at any grocery.

5023262.jpg

And of course, for the more adventurous or something completely different and very Norway-specific, there is always brunost! Literally "brown cheese," but it's more like a savory dulce de leche than cheese. Despite its goat milk origin, I have never had an issue with customs and have even had it ushered across the border into Australia!

4e99e5ff-d869-4283-9cff-120c2f28d15f?fit

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Reindeer sausage, even if it's dried and cured, will be confiscated by US customs. I wanted to know why, and it turns out they have a blanket ban on meat from ruminants due to mad cow disease. The only upside was watching a customs official try (and fail) to explain what "ruminant" meant.

Freia chocolate is what I would recommend. The classic milk chocolate is a good choice, but there is also Walters Mandler that has bits of salted almonds mixed in and is many people's personal favorite.

large.jpg

Also from Freia and very Norwegian is Kvikk Lunsj. Literally "quick lunch." It's like a Kit-Kat, but "It's not a Kit-Kat!" It's a staple for hiking and cross-country skiing in the Norwegian mountains, and the wafer-chocolate combination is designed to still be bitten into at cold temperatures instead of freezing solid like pure chocolate. And the inside of the wrapper is typically printed with the Fjellvettreglene (Norwegian hiking rules).

58093.png

In the non-chocolate category, lefsegodt is packaged snacks of lefse bread with butter and cinnamon. Typisk norsk and found at any grocery.

5023262.jpg

And of course, for the more adventurous or something completely different and very Norway-specific, there is always brunost! Literally "brown cheese," but it's more like a savory dulce de leche than cheese. Despite its goat milk origin, I have never had an issue with customs and have even had it ushered across the border into Australia!

4e99e5ff-d869-4283-9cff-120c2f28d15f?fit

Lefse is my go-to gift to bring to friends. Packs easily. My favorite was usually bought in train stations.

• Thanks 1