Venice: Getting from Fusina port to Venice

GCBK10905

Hello!  Will be visiting Europe for the first tome.  We fly into Venice at 9:36am and have transportation arranged from the cruiseline that takes us from the airport to our cruise ship in Fusina. 

Questions:

1.  If we land at 9:35am, what’s the estimated arrival time to get to Fusina?

2.  If we want to get over to Venice right away to start exploring the city, what’s the best mode of transportation to get to Venice from Fusina and how long would that likely take?

We are first time travelers to Europe so trying to see if we can take advantage of our travel day given we fly in pretty early.

Thank you!

The drive is about 30 minutes. Allowing for claiming bags and Immigration (assuming you are flying direct from the US), plus getting with your transport....maybe 11am at the earliest.

There is a water bus line you need to look into.

1 hour ago, GCBK10905 said:

1.  If we land at 9:35am, what’s the estimated arrival time to get to Fusina?

Agree with Bruce-- 11am into Fusina at the earliest. Typically there are about 3 large planes that arrive from the US at the same time so timing with slightly depend on where you end up in line. If you are flying in the front of the plane it will get you through quicker. Also some transfers with meet and greet services can meet you airside and will get you to the front of the line-- worth asking if your transfers will include that. 

1 hour ago, GCBK10905 said:

2.  If we want to get over to Venice right away to start exploring the city, what’s the best mode of transportation to get to Venice from Fusina and how long would that likely take?

Two schools of thought there-- you could keep your transfers to Fusina or you could go from VCE direct into Venice and check your bags for the day there. From a time standpoint, assuming you would like as much time in Venice as possible (as you should, its spectacular) I would use a water taxi from either VCE or Fusina. Yes, it will be expensive (usually around 100 Euros each way), but it will be your fastest option to get into the city. I would take the water taxi direct to Piazza San Marco and start exploring from there. 

Is your ship overnighting in Fusina or do you need to be back for departure?  If the later, you may not have time to go back to Venice and return to Fusina.  In that case I would give up the transfer as suggested above, keeping in mind what time you must be checked in.

If you are overnighting, keeping the transfer makes life easier.  Line #16 departs from Fusina every hour:  Actv_nav_linea_16.pdf (avmspa.it)

It doesn't take you far but Venice is very walkable once you're on the correct side of the bay.

mappa_linee_di_navigazione _aprile_2023_web (avmspa.it)

We are sailing out of Fusina as well. Next week. This is the information that we have been given.
 This is not a port location that you can just get off and on the ship. It is in the industrial port of Venice. The only way you can transfer from Venice to Fusina and back will be busses used by your cruise line. The busses will meet you at the old cruise terminal in Venice. From there the travel time is said to be approx 20 minutes 
You may want to clarify all this via your travel agent or cruise line. 

Edited by Vineyard View

11 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We are sailing out of Fusina as well. Next week. This is the information that we have been given.
 This is not a port location that you can just get off and on the ship. It is in the industrial port of Venice. The only way you can transfer from Venice to Fusina and back will be busses used by your cruise line. The busses will meet you at the old cruise terminal in Venice. From there the travel time is said to be approx 20 minutes 
You may want to clarify all this via your travel agent or cruise line. 

I'm departing from Fusina in October on a different cruise line (I think?) but we have been told the same. What we've been led to believe so far is that we will be "checked in" at Marittima (the traditional Venice cruise port) and then transferred by bus to Fusina. This is on Azamara.

I'm hoping you can report back after your experience as to the process.

I will do that. We board Seabourn on Saturday. It has been confirmed multiple times by them that this is the case. Exactly as Azamara has stated to you.  I know that when Viking used the industrial port last year this was the case then as well. You cannot just walk around an industrial port for safety reasons, so it is a controlled entry and exit. 

Edited by Vineyard View

• 3 months later...
On 5/21/2023 at 10:55 PM, Vineyard View said:

I will do that. We board Seabourn on Saturday. It has been confirmed multiple times by them that this is the case. Exactly as Azamara has stated to you.  I know that when Viking used the industrial port last year this was the case then as well. You cannot just walk around an industrial port for safety reasons, so it is a controlled entry and exit. 

@Vineyard View Could you elaborate a bit on your experience of getting to Marittima, please?  When you look at the map of the port area in Venice, there are a number of terminals listed around the two channels making up the port.  The information from our cruise line (Regent) lists the Cruise Terminal at Fabbricato 248.  On Google Maps, this brings up a building on the west side of the eastern channel.  Does that accord with where you remember going to check in?  Making things more confusing, the ferry terminal called "Marittima" is on the eastern side of that channel.

I understand that once we check in at the cruise terminal Regent will bus us to Fusina to board the ship, but we do not have transfers from the cruise line from our hotel to Marittima.  So, we're trying to figure out the easiest way to get there but need to pinpoint where "there" is first.  Also, I can figure out where the vaporettos dock from the map--at the Tronchetto stop on the western channel--but not where a water taxi would (or should) let us off.  If you arrived privately at the cruise terminal, what means did you use and where did it drop you?

Many thanks,

We used a private water taxi from our hotel to the Marittima port. It was just easiest to do that. Once we arrived , there was a Seabourn group waiting to take our checked bags, along with a representative who walked us to the correct building. It was a lengthy walk as an FYI. If you have mobility issues, I would recommend checking with Regent on how that might work. It’s a strange environment being in an empty port complex that was once so busy. Word or caution though, our experience as well as others that we spoke with - land operations truly didn’t have a clear idea of what the situation and process was at this port so not sure they can be overly helpful. It may have improved since as that was fairly early in the process. 
I hope this is helpful and that you have a great time. We sure did! 

Edited by Vineyard View

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

We used a private water taxi from our hotel to the Marittima port. It was just easiest to do that. Once we arrived , there was a Seabourn group waiting to take our checked bags, along with a representative who walked us to the correct building. It was a lengthy walk as an FYI. If you have mobility issues, I would recommend checking with Regent on how that might work. It’s a strange environment being in an empty port complex that was once so busy. Word or caution though, our experience as well as others that we spoke with - land operations truly didn’t have a clear idea of what the situation and process was at this port so not sure they can be overly helpful. It may have improved since as that was fairly early in the process. 
I hope this is helpful and that you have a great time. We sure did! 

Thanks.  Do you remember where exactly the water taxi dropped you and the building to which the Seabourn reps walked you?

I honestly do not. I just remember it felt at the far side of where we had to pass through check in for our cruise. Coming from Venice proper, it should have been the Eastern side of the port where he left us, and the old terminal we checked in through was more on the western side, as it was a good walk to get there.  But different cruise lines may be different.  

• Thanks 1