bidding for a upgraded room

mazz1

can i ask do virgin automatically send most people offers to bid for a upgrade or is it just a select few that get these?

trying to figure out if i should ask my travel agent for a price or just wait and see 

3 hours ago, mazz1 said:

can i ask do virgin automatically send most people offers to bid for a upgrade or is it just a select few that get these?

trying to figure out if i should ask my travel agent for a price or just wait and see 

You can do it yourself from the "manage my bookings" section of a voyage if you have not had an email. Not all sailors qualify, but you can check on that page as well. 

• Like 1

Not all sailors get emails.  For instance, you will not get one if there are no cabins available above the level you purchased.  On our recent cruise, all central sea terrace and above were booked, so if you were in one of those you did not get an email.  

• Like 1

I don't always get an email but you can Google "Virgin Voyages Upgrade" and check if you are eligible for an upgrade (it won't work until you are).  The best time is if/when you hear others on your sailing have received emails.  

3 hours ago, Lustate said:

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the “Can lock it in rates” being able to bid for an upgrade?

I don’t have firsthand experience, but it sounds like you should be able to upgrade once your cabin is assigned, if you’re within whatever the upgrade window is.  On all my prior Caribbean voyages, it’s been maaaany months in advance, but on my current Greek voyage, we werent able to look at upgrades until maybe 6 weeks ago?

6 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

I don’t have firsthand experience, but it sounds like you should be able to upgrade once your cabin is assigned, if you’re within whatever the upgrade window is.  On all my prior Caribbean voyages, it’s been maaaany months in advance, but on my current Greek voyage, we werent able to look at upgrades until maybe 6 weeks ago?

How was the Greek island cruise? Worth the hefty price?

Sorry if this is too personal. Still a newbie.

It’s soooooo different than any of the Caribbean voyages I’ve been on!

Usually, we’re like ninjas in the app as soon as we board, booking all shows, fitness classes and other activities.  There are a couple new shows, but the demand doesn’t seem to be as high as on the Caribbean sailings.  We were done rearranging dinners and booking things within like 15 mins of boarding, and we were like “wait what are we missing here?!” because it was so relaxed.

You’re in port kind of late, so there’s not much time to enjoy stuff onboard.  For example, we were in santorini from 9am-9:30pm yesterday!  There is not much in the way of nightlife on this itinerary, given the schedule too.  People would be too pooped to enjoy the ports if they were up till 4am in the manor every night!! I think the manor is only open as a nightclub twice this voyage- maybe 3x.  The fun vibe still exists, but it’s not a bunch of people drinking by the pool all day and partying all night.

All that said, it’s still really great so far!  We’re off to Rhodes today, then Bodrum, our one lonely sea day, then Mykonos for about a day and a half.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

It’s soooooo different than any of the Caribbean voyages I’ve been on!

Usually, we’re like ninjas in the app as soon as we board, booking all shows, fitness classes and other activities.  There are a couple new shows, but the demand doesn’t seem to be as high as on the Caribbean sailings.  We were done rearranging dinners and booking things within like 15 mins of boarding, and we were like “wait what are we missing here?!” because it was so relaxed.

You’re in port kind of late, so there’s not much time to enjoy stuff onboard.  For example, we were in santorini from 9am-9:30pm yesterday!  There is not much in the way of nightlife on this itinerary, given the schedule too.  People would be too pooped to enjoy the ports if they were up till 4am in the manor every night!! I think the manor is only open as a nightclub twice this voyage- maybe 3x.  The fun vibe still exists, but it’s not a bunch of people drinking by the pool all day and partying all night.

All that said, it’s still really great so far!  We’re off to Rhodes today, then Bodrum, our one lonely sea day, then Mykonos for about a day and a half.

Sounds like our paths will cross, as we board this weekend 🙂 

How full was the ship? looking at current sales seems pretty empty with lots of availability. 

1 minute ago, Lustate said:

Sounds like our paths will cross, as we board this weekend 🙂 

How full was the ship? looking at current sales seems pretty empty with lots of availability. 

How could you see availability?

I wish I could select the actual room I want (like I can on HAL) when booking online. But VV automatically assigns a room and it's always by an elevator it seems.

2 minutes ago, -The-True-North- said:

I wish I could select the actual room I want (like I can on HAL) when booking online. But VV automatically assigns a room and it's always by an elevator it seems.

Travel agents can book specific rooms for you (virgin call the top ones First Mates), or you can call and book direct or change your cabin with VV yourself. 

When you board a VV, you can see a number on the screen saying you are passenger X of Y, and that's how people on board can tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, -The-True-North- said:

If you call in to Sailor services they will allow you to pick within the category you have booked.  Have a deck plan handy so you can cross reference room numbers.  We booked b2b in September and they were very helpful in allowing us to pick our cabin. 

• Thanks 1

Wicked.

Thanks all.

For sailor loot referrals... Do we need to be on the same ship? Or just one fellow sailor to another?

We are Looking to book a cruise for Aug 27, and an additional $50 is always welcome.😜

I don't see VV doing any crazy cheap last minute deals.

1 hour ago, -The-True-North- said:

For sailor loot referrals... Do we need to be on the same ship? Or just one fellow sailor to another?

We are Looking to book a cruise for Aug 27, and an additional $50 is always welcome.😜

This program ended in February bc so many people were abusing it.  If you’ve never used a travel agent before, it might be worth looking into using one for virgin.  A lot of them have extra “my next virgin voyages” offers ($300 off the fare/$600 onboard credit) and may have other sailor loot/things they can throw in to sweeten the deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

This program ended in February bc so many people were abusing it.  If you’ve never used a travel agent before, it might be worth looking into using one for virgin.  A lot of them have extra “my next virgin voyages” offers ($300 off the fare/$600 onboard credit) and may have other sailor loot/things they can throw in to sweeten the deal.

We might have the reverse of this issue. We bought a MNVV voucher which expires in 2024, but dont think we will be using it, Or at least not before it expires. Not the end of the world as the current offers have equaled it and cost us nothing, but would have been good to have used it. 

1 minute ago, Lustate said:

We might have the reverse of this issue. We bought a MNVV voucher which expires in 2024, but dont think we will be using it, Or at least not before it expires. Not the end of the world as the current offers have equaled it and cost us nothing, but would have been good to have used it. 

I’m pretty sure you can transfer them if you have any friends that might be interested in going!

36 minutes ago, Lustate said:

These are transferrable, meaning that you can give or sell it to anyone you wish.  If you don't use it, you will lose at least the $300 you paid for it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lustate said:

We still have to book ours.

Pm me if your are interested in transferring it.

36 minutes ago, -The-True-North- said:

We still have to book ours.

Pm me if your are interested in transferring it.

I don't think the PM function works on Cruise Critic....or at least I could never figure it out.....