Lido dining specialty restaurants on Queen Elizabeth

tmee

I was wondering has anyone experienced the specialty dining  "Frontier" on an Alaska sailing?  I was looking for opinions and/or observations on the food and atomosphere. 

I am looking forward to local food options that may be unique to an Alaskan sailing and thought this may be one way to experience them.

tmee

Edited by tmee

• tmee changed the title to Lido dining specialty restaurants on Queen Elizabeth
1 hour ago, tmee said:

I was wondering has anyone experienced the specialty dining  "Frontier" on an Alaska sailing?  I was looking for opinions and/or observations on the food and atomosphere. 

I am looking forward to local food options that may be unique to an Alaskan sailing and thought this may be one way to experience them.

tmee

I'm pretty sure the "Frontier" alternative dining theme is being newly introduced during this year's QE Alaska season. As such, it should debut very soon.

I did see a sample menu when I clicked on the dining tab and then clicked “see details” for the Frontier venue after I signed in to my journey. Not sure if you happened to see that to get an idea of what it might be like 

@Ready2go11 Thank you.  I did see the sample menu, that is actually what got me interested in the restaurant 🙂

I personally have never dined in any of the Lido specialty restaurants on any sailing so the concept is new to me.

tmee

• 3 weeks later...

I am back, and we had a wonderful cruise, thank you. I went as part of a group of 6 people and at the end of the cruise we all agreed that The Frontier had been our favourite meal. I was worried that being part of the lido, it would be noisy. But it was a whole section completely segregated well away from the buffet. There were proper table clothes and excellent waiters, and all in all it felt like a real treat.

As far as I can remember, the menu was exactly the same as the sample menu online. I took some photos so I’ll try to share those in the next post..l

• Like 3

The first 3 photos should be our starters.

Then 3 main dishes - the pie, the goose breast (I had this and loved it), and the seafood platter which carried an extra charge but my husband and Dad thought was well worth it.

Between us we only had 2 different desserts, I think one was an apple fool but most of us had the baked Alaska. The baked Alaska was fantastic, and so much better than the one in the dining room on the gala night. I’d recommend the whole meal for that alone!

IMG_6870.jpeg

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6873.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

IMG_6875.jpeg

IMG_6876.jpeg

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6879.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@JRoyston

Thank you very much for reporting back and for the pictures!!  I am so very glad you enjoyed cruise and the Frontier restaurant.  I will definitely book this dining experience 😊 ..you have sold me on the Baked Alaska 🧊

tmee

• 1 month later...

As promised I am back with an update!  We both thoroughly enjoyed Frontier.  It was a nice change from the main dining room a much more relaxed environment.  (Timing wise)
My menu was indeed the same as the sample menu.
Thank you so much @JRoyston for reporting earlier.  I am very glad  I decided to dine there!
Of the things we ordered my personal favourites were the Halibut and the Alaska Langoustines. I think if you enjoy seafood it is a nice option.
We also dined at Coriander and enjoyed the experience as well, though the food was completely different 🙂
As JRoyston mentioned the Alternate dining area it is set back from the Lido area.  It  was  quiet away from the clicking and clattering of the buffet.

tmee

Edited by tmee
Typo dreaded Typo
  • Like 5

Here is a sampling of the food from Frontier. The first photo was an amuse bouche which was a seared scallop.

As a vegetable lover, I had to get alllllllllll of the sides. Those were very good as well.

tmee

20230719_185037.jpg

20230719_185942.jpg

20230719_192006.jpg

• Like 6

What is the usual first time available to book? I have a 6:30 tour on QV in October (Northern Lights chase), so I won't be able to have dinner in the MDR. I want to try Nordlys and I'm wondering if that would be a good time to do that. Or perhaps better to choose a night when I can relax and savor it?

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What is the usual first time available to book? I have a 6:30 tour on QV in October (Northern Lights chase), so I won't be able to have dinner in the MDR. I want to try Nordlys and I'm wondering if that would be a good time to do that. Or perhaps better to choose a night when I can relax and savor it?

The alternatives booking availability arrived on our personaliser three weeks before sailing.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the earliest dining time, not booking opportunity. 

I just looked back at QM2 from last fall, and it looks like my only opportunities will be to stuff myself at afternoon tea or to order room service.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

@3rdGenCunarder I think your options may be correct for your 6:30 tour.  On the Alaska sailing the earliest booking time was 6:00 pm for the Lido alternate dining.  On our sailing the "Lido Grill Lunch" was also available intil 5:00pm but I don’t know if it will be open for a northern lights cruise.

tmee

On 8/5/2023 at 5:22 PM, alibabacruisers said:

Love seeing the pictures of what a specialty restaurant has on offer.  We love the vegetables too, although not into seafood.  I keep thinking maybe one day I will try some but haven't got there yet. 

Frontier had some non seafood options.  My travel companion ordered tbe Anchorage Goose Breast.  He enjoyed it.

tmee

20230719_191901.jpg

• Like 1

In Coriander, we were encouraged to try lots of things In the photos there is a mixture of both the a standard order and one made with a "dietary restriction"  hence the double rice and the fruit plate dessert 🙂

tmee

7 hours ago, tmee said:

Frontier had some non seafood options.  My travel companion ordered tbe Anchorage Goose Breast.  He enjoyed it.

tmee

20230719_191901.jpg

The Nordlys menu (for Norway cruises) looks a lot like the Frontier menu, but with local substitutions. Duck breast instead of goose. I look forward to trying it this restaurant on QV.