Advice for 1st Time Cruisers from a Frequent Cruiser

Sthrngary

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@CrossM2 Since it is your 50th, all you have to tell me is where you want to go.  I understand how you feel about being out of cruising for a while.  I also need a budget.  

I have been cruising for a long time and some of what has happened in cruising really was not to my liking.  So about 6 years ago, I bit the bullet and did an NCL Haven Cruise.  Now I put the Haven in the same category as MSC Yacht Club and the Celebrity Retreat.  All are a private area on a bigger ship that is exclusive.  Lots of video's on these area's but it is a premium price.

It you are laid back and just want to chill, If you don't need waters slides or Broadway shows, then my advice would be Oceania or Viking.  When you go from Mainstream Cruise brands to Premium-Plus/Luxury, you are treated consistently throughout the ship regardless of you stateroom.  I am 66, love the Haven but going on a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise and the cost is actually less than the VIP sections mentioned on main stream brands.  Food it better, service is better and the bars close at 11 ish because most of the cruises are port intensive.  

Two choices, depending on a lot of variables only you can outline.  Give me more information and I can assist you better.  In closing, I used to cruise for the lowest price.  As time went on I wanted more from my experience.  Now I cruise less but pay a bit more and the things that started to bother me are gone.  Hope that all makes sense.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Well I guess this is where I’m conflicted. I do love the southern Caribbean and would like to go to the Mediterranean but I feel like that is more of a couple cruise for my husband and I where as this is more with a group of friends. I am not booking for everyone, simply sharing my itinerary and they can book themselves. I do prefer less days at sea, I enjoy waking up in another port and seeing what I can at that port but when on board I would like to enjoy the ship and pool and restaurants. I like balcony rooms as well. I don’t care much about on board entertainment but I do like good energy . My budget is variable. I would say for just the cruise itself up to $7000 per couple is probably the max I’d like to spend. Thanks for the help!

48 minutes ago, CrossM2 said:

Well I guess this is where I’m conflicted. I do love the southern Caribbean and would like to go to the Mediterranean but I feel like that is more of a couple cruise for my husband and I where as this is more with a group of friends. I am not booking for everyone, simply sharing my itinerary and they can book themselves. I do prefer less days at sea, I enjoy waking up in another port and seeing what I can at that port but when on board I would like to enjoy the ship and pool and restaurants. I like balcony rooms as well. I don’t care much about on board entertainment but I do like good energy . My budget is variable. I would say for just the cruise itself up to $7000 per couple is probably the max I’d like to spend. Thanks for the help!

@CrossM2 At your budget, the world is at your feet.  Go to NCL and Celebrity websites.  Look at the different Caribbean destinations.  Choose a date and look at the Haven on NCL or Retreat on Celebrity.  Only go on their newer, bigger ships.  NCL Bliss, Encore, Joy, Viva.  On Celebrity choose the Beyond Class of newer ships.  Check the prices.

Warning, the Haven and Retreat are Suites Only area with private Restaurant, Bar, Sundeck, Pools and Hot tubs.  If your guest don't do the Haven or Retreat, your group will not eat together or have the same availability of VIP areas.  I hope that helps. 

"To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the Question?"

First cruise 44 years ago was my honeymoon.  We sailed the SS Norway and the brand was Norwegian (now none as NCL). We were in a Inside Stateroom with bulk beds. Romantic right?  We thought so at the time because it was our first real vacation as adults. 

Fast forward, my second to last cruise was in the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony.  Now that is a transition.  Over the years we edged up every couple of years to a nicer stateroom.  No were to go after the Owners Suite or is there.  My next cruise in the Mediterranean is in a Vista Suite on Oceania Cruises.  Actually bigger and more luxurious than the Haven Owners Suite.  My point is I know about upgrading. 

Let me start by saying, I have not paid full retail going price for the biggest upgrades like the Haven Owners Suite or the Vista Suite.  They were VERY expensive don't get me wrong, but not full freight as one might say. Having had the experience I can say with clarity, these big suites are nice but not necessary.  If they can be obtained at a discounted upgrade amount, they are a memory you will not soon forget.  Even more so if you are traveling with guests whom can enjoy these huge suites with you if only for the veranda.  

My opinion on upgrades is simple.  Do the math.  If it fits in your budget, if it is something you always wanted to do, it you like bigger suites I say go for it.  Just remember, after the initial shock and excitement of how big everything is compared to other staterooms you have had, it just becomes your cabin.  

So here is my best take on how to approach the subject of upgrades.  

1. NCL:  My wife and I did an NCL cruise December 2022.  My lovely bride won the NCL slot tournament on the cruise before and this was the final $100,000 winner take all contest.  My wife lost in the first round.  We were staying in what is called a Club Balcony Suite.  We usually stay in a Haven Suite which is their Ship-Within-A-Ship concept.  They sent us a link to "Bid" for an upgrade to the Haven with lots of suites to choose.  I bid on all I could but was careful not to bid if it was not somewhat of a deal.  We lost all the bids.  The moral of the story is Bidding does not guarantee an upgrade.  If you want the Haven, just book it. 
  2. Crystal Cruises:  I had a standard balcony stateroom, Just before the cruise, I was given a "Paid Upgrade" opportunity.  It was Highly Discounted and it was done because the ship was less than 1/2 filled.  I ended up with a Penthouse Suite was the second largest suite on the ship.  The suite was nice but the butler made the cruise. 
  3. Oceania Cruises: I booked a Penthouse using a four category upgrade promotion.  I learned here on CruiseCritic.com that if you have your travel agent tell Oceania you were open to a "Paid Upgrade" opportunity, they would contact if it the opportunity became available.  Long story on this one that gets me in all kinds debates online so I will not go down that path.  What I will say is I was able to gain a paid upgrade and be in the Vista Suite which is the second largest suite on the ship. 

So you can simply book your suite, bid on a suite or take a paid upgrade opportunity if provided.  Use good business judgement.  Don't let you emotions go wild thinking having this huge suite will be the ultimate.  It nice but if you visualize it as perfect in every way, you will be disappointed.  The one category I did not talk about a is Free Upgrade. The reason is you have a better chance winning a lottery than getting a legitimate complementary upgrade especially to a Penthouse. Have I ever gotten one, YES.  Was it easy, NO.  Was it worth the effort, NO.  Would I go down that path again, NO. 

The facts are, book your stateroom and simply be happy.  When the notion of a upgrade is on your mine and you don't get it.  The cruise can lose some value for you.  I know, that is how I have felt.  I hope this helps some who are new. 

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

"To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the Question?"

First cruise 44 years ago was my honeymoon.  We sailed the SS Norway and the brand was Norwegian (now none as NCL). We were in a Inside Stateroom with bulk beds. Romantic right?  We thought so at the time because it was our first real vacation as adults. 

Fast forward, my second to last cruise was in the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony.  Now that is a transition.  Over the years we edged up every couple of years to a nicer stateroom.  No were to go after the Owners Suite or is there.  My next cruise in the Mediterranean is in a Vista Suite on Oceania Cruises.  Actually bigger and more luxurious than the Haven Owners Suite.  My point is I know about upgrading. 

Let me start by saying, I have not paid full retail going price for the biggest upgrades like the Haven Owners Suite or the Vista Suite.  They were VERY expensive don't get me wrong, but not full freight as one might say. Having had the experience I can say with clarity, these big suites are nice but not necessary.  If they can be obtained at a discounted upgrade amount, they are a memory you will not soon forget.  Even more so if you are traveling with guests whom can enjoy these huge suites with you if only for the veranda.  

My opinion on upgrades is simple.  Do the math.  If it fits in your budget, if it is something you always wanted to do, it you like bigger suites I say go for it.  Just remember, after the initial shock and excitement of how big everything is compared to other staterooms you have had, it just becomes your cabin.  

So here is my best take on how to approach the subject of upgrades.  

1. NCL:  My wife and I did an NCL cruise December 2022.  My lovely bride won the NCL slot tournament on the cruise before and this was the final $100,000 winner take all contest.  My wife lost in the first round.  We were staying in what is called a Club Balcony Suite.  We usually stay in a Haven Suite which is their Ship-Within-A-Ship concept.  They sent us a link to "Bid" for an upgrade to the Haven with lots of suites to choose.  I bid on all I could but was careful not to bid if it was not somewhat of a deal.  We lost all the bids.  The moral of the story is Bidding does not guarantee an upgrade.  If you want the Haven, just book it. 
  2. Crystal Cruises:  I had a standard balcony stateroom, Just before the cruise, I was given a "Paid Upgrade" opportunity.  It was Highly Discounted and it was done because the ship was less than 1/2 filled.  I ended up with a Penthouse Suite was the second largest suite on the ship.  The suite was nice but the butler made the cruise. 
  3. Oceania Cruises: I booked a Penthouse using a four category upgrade promotion.  I learned here on CruiseCritic.com that if you have your travel agent tell Oceania you were open to a "Paid Upgrade" opportunity, they would contact if it the opportunity became available.  Long story on this one that gets me in all kinds debates online so I will not go down that path.  What I will say is I was able to gain a paid upgrade and be in the Vista Suite which is the second largest suite on the ship. 

So you can simply book your suite, bid on a suite or take a paid upgrade opportunity if provided.  Use good business judgement.  Don't let you emotions go wild thinking having this huge suite will be the ultimate.  It nice but if you visualize it as perfect in every way, you will be disappointed.  The one category I did not talk about a is Free Upgrade. The reason is you have a better chance winning a lottery than getting a legitimate complementary upgrade especially to a Penthouse. Have I ever gotten one, YES.  Was it easy, NO.  Was it worth the effort, NO.  Would I go down that path again, NO. 

The facts are, book your stateroom and simply be happy.  When the notion of a upgrade is on your mine and you don't get it.  The cruise can lose some value for you.  I know, that is how I have felt.  I hope this helps some who are new. 

I’m a solo(single) 30-something female travel newly obsessed with cruising. I rather book more cruises in an interior cabin since the most time I spend in my cabin is sleeping and getting ready for dinner. With that said I plan on bidding for some upgrades for my TA on NCL Gem. Crossing fingers that it will be successful but will still have an amazing trip if it is not.

3 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I’m a solo(single) 30-something female travel newly obsessed with cruising. I rather book more cruises in an interior cabin since the most time I spend in my cabin is sleeping and getting ready for dinner. With that said I plan on bidding for some upgrades for my TA on NCL Gem. Crossing fingers that it will be successful but will still have an amazing trip if it is not.

@SoloAlaska I am sure you most likely know some of what I am going to share but just in case, here is some information. When you are on NCL, they do the bid program.  When you are a Solo, you still pay for two double occupancy.  So you bid $100.00 to get to a balcony.  If you win, you pay $200.00.  

I would not recommend you bid up to the Haven on the Gem.  It is a small ship which is nice but does not have a full Haven.  

The other way to work with NCL is sometimes, when the ship is not filled, they take categories and don't have a double occupancy requirement. I did one solo cruise.  I did this in 2022, on the NCL Joy in a Club Balcony Suite where my fare was $800 instead of $1,600.  That was a nice surprise and the suite was lovely.  Always test prices even on the cruise you are on.  Many call this doing a mock booking.  You never know, you could get lucky like I did.  

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@SoloAlaska I am sure you most likely know some of what I am going to share but just in case, here is some information. When you are on NCL, they do the bid program.  When you are a Solo, you still pay for two double occupancy.  So you bid $100.00 to get to a balcony.  If you win, you pay $200.00.  

I would not recommend you bid up to the Haven on the Gem.  It is a small ship which is nice but does not have a full Haven.  

The other way to work with NCL is sometimes, when the ship is not filled, they take categories and don't have a double occupancy requirement. I did one solo cruise.  I did this in 2022, on the NCL Joy in a Club Balcony Suite where my fare was $800 instead of $1,600.  That was a nice surprise and the suite was lovely.  Always test prices even on the cruise you are on.  Many call this doing a mock booking.  You never know, you could get lucky like I did.  

My cruise was equal to $890USD for 15 days interior room. I went with guaranteed because the free at sea wasn’t of value to me. So far over 1/3 of the staterooms are available and I’ll keep checking in to gauge what kind of bid I think might work. I’m only a few days away from final payment and the price has gone up since I booked. I figure it may drop but by then I won’t be able to benefit. If the rate drops can I upgrade for the difference even after paying in full?

5 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

My cruise was equal to $890USD for 15 days interior room. I went with guaranteed because the free at sea wasn’t of value to me. So far over 1/3 of the staterooms are available and I’ll keep checking in to gauge what kind of bid I think might work. I’m only a few days away from final payment and the price has gone up since I booked. I figure it may drop but by then I won’t be able to benefit. If the rate drops can I upgrade for the difference even after paying in full?

Sometimes.  At the rate you have, you have a great deal/approach.  The upgrade bid might be a better option.  Please let me know what happens. 

On 8/4/2023 at 7:08 PM, Sthrngary said:

Sometimes.  At the rate you have, you have a great deal/approach.  The upgrade bid might be a better option.  Please let me know what happens. 

Waited till the price dropped after final payment. Instead of sail away interior I am upgrading to an obstructed picture window with free at sea for about $120 including the gratuities. I did not get the open bar however. The bar gratuities would have been over $300 and I don’t plan on even drinking that much.

wish I had waited to book my flight or I could have saved a little more by doing the flight with NCL but I am still very happy overall.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Waited till the price dropped after final payment. Instead of sail away interior I am upgrading to an obstructed picture window with free at sea for about $120 including the gratuities. I did not get the open bar however. The bar gratuities would have been over $300 and I don’t plan on even drinking that much.

wish I had waited to book my flight or I could have saved a little more by doing the flight with NCL but I am still very happy overall.

GREAT to hear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How I Write A Post-Cruise Review:

First I always write and post reviews for my cruise experience.  I got so much pre-information from others, it is my way to pay it forward.  My reviews are always balanced.  Nothing is ever perfect or Losey. 

I take the key categories and create a template on a Microsoft word document.  All I have to do is fill in the blanks when I am done with the cruise.  I also include items that are not provided by the cruise brand but effected my experience positive or negatively.  Transportation, Embarkment Port, and pre-cruise dining as well hotel. 

By making a template, it makes the end product of a good review better and easier.  

The best review is when you have no expectations nor have ever cruised before.  I remember how happy and satisfied I was at the time.  As you cruise more, you expect more.  When the newness is gone you look and evaluate different things.  I hope this makes sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Last Post On this Topic:

For anyone that has a question, please ask by putting a @Sthrngary in the front of your question.

In my work life prior to retirement, I used to study great coaches.  Many of them I met.  One that made an impression on me and I had dinner with him was Coach John Wooden.  One notion the coach kept saying was "Control the Controllable" .  An example was teaching his players how to put on their soaks.  If a soak was put on wrong, it could create a blister and the blister could effect performance.  You can control the Soak.  

Cruising is much the same.  Allow me to give some examples for cruising:

• Booking the Week before or After a Holiday:  I used to book Thanksgiving cruises with my kids.  When they grew up, I stopped.  I realized that the ships were crowded, the kids owned the pools and hot tubs, and the fares were higher.  I started booking the week before or after Thanksgiving.  Problem solved.
  • Date/Times for Specialty Restaurants:  There is usually a date and time where you can begin reserving for your Specialty Restaurants.  Let's say it is 120 days out.  The instant the window is available, I book the reservations.  The pre-work is to make a decision on what you want and when you want it. 
  • Special Excursions:  My favorite excursion is not an excursion at all.  It is reserving a Beach Villa on the cruise lines private island.  The Villa handles 6-8 guests so the economies expense is spread over each guest making it reasonable. As expensive as it is, it is always the first excursion to sell out.  I book it immediately.  
  • Boarding the Ship:  I book early, bring a book and wait at the terminal for the crew to let us board.  If I am in a special suite, we board before everyone else anyway.  If I am in a normal suite, I have boarding group one for the past many cruises.  This helps me change reservations or gain access to places like the Vibe Beach Club which sell out super fast.  
  • Butler Letter: After having hit/miss butlers I started to write a letter and give it to the butler with their entire gratuity on day one.  From that point, my butlers were all hits.  The letter has background on my wife, family and guests joining us.  It has likes/dislikes.  It have food requirements or needs. It has a few simple requests.  

Now use your imagination to find things you can control.  Have a positive attitude to thing you can't control like weather or missed ports.  Happens and no way to control them really.  I assure you that your vacation will be better when you control the controllable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

My Last Post On this Topic:

For anyone that has a question, please ask by putting a @Sthrngary in the front of your question.

In my work life prior to retirement, I used to study great coaches.  Many of them I met.  One that made an impression on me and I had dinner with him was Coach John Wooden.  One notion the coach kept saying was "Control the Controllable" .  An example was teaching his players how to put on their soaks.  If a soak was put on wrong, it could create a blister and the blister could effect performance.  You can control the Soak.  

Cruising is much the same.  Allow me to give some examples for cruising:

• Booking the Week before or After a Holiday:  I used to book Thanksgiving cruises with my kids.  When they grew up, I stopped.  I realized that the ships were crowded, the kids owned the pools and hot tubs, and the fares were higher.  I started booking the week before or after Thanksgiving.  Problem solved.
  • Date/Times for Specialty Restaurants:  There is usually a date and time where you can begin reserving for your Specialty Restaurants.  Let's say it is 120 days out.  The instant the window is available, I book the reservations.  The pre-work is to make a decision on what you want and when you want it. 
  • Special Excursions:  My favorite excursion is not an excursion at all.  It is reserving a Beach Villa on the cruise lines private island.  The Villa handles 6-8 guests so the economies expense is spread over each guest making it reasonable. As expensive as it is, it is always the first excursion to sell out.  I book it immediately.  
  • Boarding the Ship:  I book early, bring a book and wait at the terminal for the crew to let us board.  If I am in a special suite, we board before everyone else anyway.  If I am in a normal suite, I have boarding group one for the past many cruises.  This helps me change reservations or gain access to places like the Vibe Beach Club which sell out super fast.  
  • Butler Letter: After having hit/miss butlers I started to write a letter and give it to the butler with their entire gratuity on day one.  From that point, my butlers were all hits.  The letter has background on my wife, family and guests joining us.  It has likes/dislikes.  It have food requirements or needs. It has a few simple requests.  

Now use your imagination to find things you can control.  Have a positive attitude to thing you can't control like weather or missed ports.  Happens and no way to control them really.  I assure you that your vacation will be better when you control the controllable. 

Hello Gary,

I've seen the blue @xxxx box in several responses.

Will you explain how to accomplish this? Thanks

3 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Hello Gary,

I've seen the blue @xxxx box in several responses.

Will you explain how to accomplish this? Thanks

@FetaCheese The way you do it is start with an (@) followed with out a space with the screen name.  Even before you are done, the names closest to it show below.  Click the one you want.  This sends a message to me or anyone else that you tagged them.  Hope that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@FetaCheese The way you do it is start with an (@) followed with out a space with the screen name.  Even before you are done, the names closest to it show below.  Click the one you want.  This sends a message to me or anyone else that you tagged them.  Hope that makes sense. 

@Sthrngary 

Thanks, so easy, when method explained so well !

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:35 AM, Sthrngary said:

Date/Times for Specialty Restaurants:  There is usually a date and time where you can begin reserving for your Specialty Restaurants.  Let's say it is 120 days out.  The instant the window is available, I book the reservations.  The pre-work is to make a decision on what you want and when you want it. 

@Sthrngary..Thanks for these great posts!  What time does the specialty restaurant window open up for reservations?  Is it at midnight EST or sometime later in the morning?  We will be sailing NCL as first timers.

Thanks again!

8 hours ago, tundra1 said:

@Sthrngary..Thanks for these great posts!  What time does the specialty restaurant window open up for reservations?  Is it at midnight EST or sometime later in the morning?  We will be sailing NCL as first timers.

Thanks again!

@tundra1 It depends on the cabin type you are in.  Haven has 130 day prior to the sailing.  Suites have 125 days, and all other has 120 days.  Do it at midnight on your NCL online account but have your plan ready to go. 

@Sthrngary  Thank you!  I am interpreting this to mean midnight Eastern time?  I know which restaurants we want, and which days we prefer for our reservations.  We are in a balcony room, so I will figure out 120 days from our sail date, and be ready at 11pm Central Time!

I appreciate your insight and information!

17 minutes ago, tundra1 said:

@Sthrngary  Thank you!  I am interpreting this to mean midnight Eastern time?  I know which restaurants we want, and which days we prefer for our reservations.  We are in a balcony room, so I will figure out 120 days from our sail date, and be ready at 11pm Central Time!

I appreciate your insight and information!

@tundra1 Is it a Club Balcony Suite or Non-Haven Suite.  If so, it is 125 days not 120. 

I am going to Rant a little bit here.  The topic is "Limiting Beliefs". If you are new, you want to learn as much as you can to make your vacation as good as it can be.  So you go to Social Media outlets like CruiseCritic.com.

On all Social Media their are good and bad people.  Kind and nasty people. Experts and folks that have no life and want to be considered an expert at something.  Just the nature of Social Media.  Always keep an open mind and when folk tell you you can't do something, it is NOT IN STONE.  They just failed so it becomes a "Limited Belief" to them.

I was told by some Know It All's that the cruise company did not care that they made a mistake when advising me.  The Know it All, was emphatic that no one in the cruise company would help me EVER.  I wrote a professional and kind letter and my situation was handled in a week.  The Know It All claimed I was lying so I posted a picture of my proof. 

People like to feel important in live and many do it on social media.  I want to be appreciated, thought of as a interesting member of social media.  Just human.  However always challenge when you feel you are being treated unfairly.  Do it professionally and use good business judgement.  

Since this is my rant, I think Cruising is a wonderful vacation opportunity.  I left Facebook, Twitter, and all other social media because their was so much hate and back stabbing.  I would hope that CruiseCritic.com could be a kinder and gentler place especially when all you care about is the best vacation possible. 

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am going to Rant a little bit here.  The topic is "Limiting Beliefs". If you are new, you want to learn as much as you can to make your vacation as good as it can be.  So you go to Social Media outlets like CruiseCritic.com.

On all Social Media their are good and bad people.  Kind and nasty people. Experts and folks that have no life and want to be considered an expert at something.  Just the nature of Social Media.  Always keep an open mind and when folk tell you you can't do something, it is NOT IN STONE.  They just failed so it becomes a "Limited Belief" to them.

I was told by some Know It All's that the cruise company did not care that they made a mistake when advising me.  The Know it All, was emphatic that no one in the cruise company would help me EVER.  I wrote a professional and kind letter and my situation was handled in a week.  The Know It All claimed I was lying so I posted a picture of my proof. 

People like to feel important in live and many do it on social media.  I want to be appreciated, thought of as a interesting member of social media.  Just human.  However always challenge when you feel you are being treated unfairly.  Do it professionally and use good business judgement.  

Since this is my rant, I think Cruising is a wonderful vacation opportunity.  I left Facebook, Twitter, and all other social media because their was so much hate and back stabbing.  I would hope that CruiseCritic.com could be a kinder and gentler place especially when all you care about is the best vacation possible. 

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

What could not be done once may be possible another time. Policies and intent from a company change sometimes as much as the weather and then you get individuals that view things differently. Being kind, polite, and professional gets you a lot further in life than being a know it all or rude. I always say being a friendly Canadian is one of my best travel assets.

When the airline lost my luggage and nothing was being done I ended up talking to a baggage agent who went above and beyond and contacted a friend who had by chance noticed my very unique looking luggage the day before in a warehouse at another airport. Had she been following normal operational procedures it would have taken a lot longer to get my luggage back. She went out of her way because we were kind and compassionate. It doesn’t always result in a better outcome but at the very least will make my perception of the situation better.

I wrote a post with questions about reunification with luggage during a cruise but didn’t get any responses that knew anything about the process. Do you have any experience with loosing luggage before a cruise? Is it an SOL till you get back home? What’s the process?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

What could not be done once may be possible another time. Policies and intent from a company change sometimes as much as the weather and then you get individuals that view things differently. Being kind, polite, and professional gets you a lot further in life than being a know it all or rude. I always say being a friendly Canadian is one of my best travel assets.

When the airline lost my luggage and nothing was being done I ended up talking to a baggage agent who went above and beyond and contacted a friend who had by chance noticed my very unique looking luggage the day before in a warehouse at another airport. Had she been following normal operational procedures it would have taken a lot longer to get my luggage back. She went out of her way because we were kind and compassionate. It doesn’t always result in a better outcome but at the very least will make my perception of the situation better.

I wrote a post with questions about reunification with luggage during a cruise but didn’t get any responses that knew anything about the process. Do you have any experience with loosing luggage before a cruise? Is it an SOL till you get back home? What’s the process?

@SoloAlaska Thank you for the response.  I have no clue.  I for a while stopped flying after flying for business my entire life.  When I took a flight about a year ago, I was pleasantly surprised that my luggage started to have a tracking by the airline.  Love it and fee safer now.  Sorry I could not answer your questions.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@SoloAlaska Thank you for the response.  I have no clue.  I for a while stopped flying after flying for business my entire life.  When I took a flight about a year ago, I was pleasantly surprised that my luggage started to have a tracking by the airline.  Love it and fee safer now.  Sorry I could not answer your questions.  

Haha all good. None of the Canadian airlines offer luggage tracking really but I have AirTags. I’m flying Alaskan for the first time and originally they had a 35 minute layover which thankfully is now 45 minutes but that is still really really tight for luggage in my experience. In the last 2 years over 20% of my luggage has gone missing/delayed.

• Thanks 1