Advice for 1st Time Cruisers from a Frequent Cruiser

Sthrngary

Are you new to cruise vacations? Welcome.  On the boards you will see many post that start with, “This is my cruise cruise…..”.  I have written a lot about cruising over my 44 years and 30 cruises.  When I think of my first cruise, which was again, a very long time ago, it seems everything was perfect.  Memories do that to people.  In today’s cruising world, doing due diligence is a very proactive and positive approach.  I will give you some hints and you can ask me anything you like.  First let’s start with education.

Education:

In my humble opinion, there are several levels of cruise brands. 

·        Mainstream: NCL, Royal Caribbean, MSC, and Carnival. These cruises are usually family oriented and very classic from a standpoint of layout, entertainment, pool games, Itinerary onboard and the list goes on. Most folks have their favorites for one reason or another.  It is relative. 

·        Premium: Celebrity, Disney, and Holland America. Debatable, however, more reviews these with slightly better food and services. Holland America usually has a bit older crowd and Disney is focused on Entertainment as one would expect. 

·        Premium Plus/Luxury:  Viking, Crystal, and Oceania.  Food, drink, and personalized service is raised, and you pay for it.  The ships are smaller and can go into smaller ports. I have found the activities and entertainment better in the other categories.  The crowd seems to be 60 and above. 

·        Ultra-Luxury:  Ritz Carlton and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  There are more brands that fall into this category, and some feel the brands in Luxury should be included.  Loyalty to a brand is a big thing in cruising. Ultra-Luxury usually is close to all inclusive and it better be at the cost often of a brand-new SUV.  Everything is up a notch. Dining and food are usually good to great.  Personalized server is over the top.  Most everything is part of your fare from Gratuities to drinking programs and in some cases even excursions. The more you charge the more can be included.

Now, many of the brands have a concept made famous by NCL called a “Ship-Within-A-Ship”.  It allows you to have more of a luxurious cruise in a private VIP area and still have access to the rest of the ships’ activities and shows.  NCL has the Haven, MSC has the Yacht Club, Celebrity has the Retreat.  You have a serious premium you must pay, and some say they love this option because it is the best of both worlds.

Essentially there is an experience for everyone that depends on your personal budget, wants, needs, and motives.  This brings me to my next section called, “Know Yourself”.

Know Yourself:

Take out a piece of paper and write down all the things you want in your next vacation experience.  My wife and I do this anytime we are going to spend a significant amount of money.  Whether homes, cars, appliances, and yes vacations.  

Now match your list to the brands, amenities, perks provided and reputation online.  Wait, you are new so hard to do that.  Well, you have the perfect environment to research here on CruiseCritic.com.  Go to the brand boards, click the button for boards on your top right of your screen and choose a brand.  Now read some of the postings for the brand you selected.  Go to the reviews and read some of them.  You will get the idea very quickly.  Other social media video sites are also extremely helpful.  Remember to keep in mind your list created.  You will NOT click all the boxes, but you might come close.

About now you might say, “why so much effort, I just want to go on a vacation?” My reason is based on the phrase, “Realistic Expectations”.  The more due diligence you do, the higher likelihood you will be happy at the result of the experience. I used to love Disney World however it takes some strategy to fully enjoy that vacation.  Best time to go to the park, restaurants, which rides get the most crowd and where to stay. The best strategies, based on good research, get the best results.

A word of advice before we move forward.  I was SO excited prior to one of my many cruises that I messed it up for myself.  I had “unrealistic expectations” by looking for perfect.  Daydreaming about a cruise is NOT reality.  Every cruise has positives and negatives just because of the nature of being on the sea. Some things are not controllable by humans. So, stay flexible and go with the flow.  That was some GREAT advice.

Where to buy your cruise:

Please lose the thought of “Best Price”.  Years ago, that might have been some crazy deals to be had.  Over those decades pricing got super competitive even between like brands. Computers now control pricing so looking for the ultimate deal has less likelihood of being found.  So, let’s choose where to buy first then when to buy for the best strategic result. The main outlets to purchasing a cruise are as follows:

·        Third Party Sources: We have guidelines here on CruiseCritic.com and I am not sure I can mention the names of the major third-party companies.  So do a google search on your own.  These companies are good, however, since their discounting clearly lets you know, not the places to gain unbelievable service after the fact.  Yet, the pricing is better because of several reasons. 

o   The source gives up some commission because they do huge volume.

o   Often you book with a deposit that is non-refundable.

o   The perks given by other sources are not always provided.

o   The rule here is “read the fine print before you make the booking”.  Be educated and know what you are buying.  I have booked with some of those sources and was pleased.  Yet in the back of my mind was, If the price is discounted, how much of the service, if needed, would be discounted?” 

·        Cruise Travel Agents: Like with any industry there are good and bad agents.  Look for one with a great reputation.  Community guidelines do not allow endorsement of any agent or agency so again, google is your friend.  Look at reviews of their service especially when something went wrong.  Communication promptness is a key.  A word of caution, when you are watching videos made by Travel Agents or Cruise Influencers, it does not mean they are great with their customer service.  Check them out as you would with a real estate agent.  Your selection makes a difference especially when, not if, something is not quite right. As with third parties, cruise travel agents can give up some of their commissions, or their agencies might be doing some sort of promotion from time to time. Don’t count on it but do ask. 

·        Cruise Brand Direct Booking: I have used Third Party, Cruise Travel Agents and Booked Direct.  The issue for me is American Express Platinum Card Cruise Perks.  When you book direct or Third Party, they do not give the perks which for me can be as much as $300 of On-Board Credit and dinner for two at a specialty restaurant/Wine Event. So, if the AMX perk are NOT available for a sale/promotion, that is when I book direct.  The key is the ONLY time you can communicate directly with the cruise brand on an issue or change is when you book directly.  With the other two cases, the Third Party or Travel Agent is the direct customer of the cruise brand. This can be frustrating when you are more passionate about your issue then your Agent. No discounts or perks other than what is available to every other client that books directly.   You can book direct and transfer your booking to an agent within a time of 30 days with some restrictions.  Call the cruise brand for more details.

How To Reduce Your Cost after Booking:

There are websites that you can join to get price fluctuations.  This is why having a refundable security deposit is so important.  Here is what I do and the key to remember is once the full balance is due and you have paid it, all bets are off.  I go on CruiseCritic.com daily to the cruise brand I booked and look for posts on special sales.  When I see one, I call my Cruise Travel Agent and see if I qualify.  If so, I have gotten stateroom upgrades, reduced fairs, and On-Board-Credit.  Sometimes, I am not eligible.  Either way, this is the real key to getting a great fare, but it takes some work.  So cruising is a rare opportunity to reduce your fare after you purchased it.  That is why I usually book as far in advance as possible.

Pre-Cruise Flights and Hotels:

After 30 cruises you learn from your mistakes.  Too much money is on the line to take any chances.  The personal rule is to fly into the port at least a day before the cruise leaves. This is a result of almost missing a cruise twice.  The stress and anxiety it put me throw was not worth saving in time.  I have heard all the excuses in the world because clients think flying on a cruise the day of is a good idea.  I have read all the horror stories when it does not work well which usually ends up blaming the cruise line or the airline. 

·        Pre-Cruise Flights:  Sometimes it seems the cruise brand has a deal on air which is sold as a promotion.  If you take the cruise brand air, remember it will not have all the control you might like to have when booking air travel. The cruise brand chooses the air brand, itinerary, day, times, and does it to be as cheap as possible.  You often can make changes however they have a premium or cost.  It is a good idea to plan your cruise as early as possible and gain your own flight reservations so you can control them.  Look to see if they are competitive prices.  I recently did a Europe flight, with a fully refundable ticket, that was about the same as the so-called promotion with the cruise brand. The challenge with booking a non-refundable fare is you are stuck with it if you cancel your cruise reservation.  This provides food for thought when booking a pre-cruise flight.

·        Pre-Cruise Hotel: I usually use a discount hotel site that allows for full refunds.  My choice is to get as close to the port as possible to make my travel time short for the morning.  This goes with my approach to getting on the ship as soon as possible with a drink in my hand.

Pre-Cruise Registration:

The moment you can pre-register, do it.  It is usually 21 days in advance of your departing date.  The reason is at that time, you can choose an early boarding time at the gate.  The cruise lines tend to be strict at these times so remember this advice. 

This is a good start, if you have any other 1st Timer Question, just let me know.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Where do Princess and P&O fall in your rankings?   

@ldubs First I apologize for not including all brands.  I was simply giving some basics on the different level of cruise brands.  I will answer your question however know this is very subjective.  Other may come back and suggest a different notion.  

I consider Princess and P&O as Premium.  They for me don't tend to be in the Premium Plus category.  In the past, both brands have been considered by others as Premium Plus so it is close.  In my opinion they are a step up from Celebrity/HAL and yet not quite to the Crystal Cruise (of the Past and Now cruising again) ratings. 

Again, other will differ but you asked me my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@ldubs First I apologize for not including all brands.  I was simply giving some basics on the different level of cruise brands.  I will answer your question however know this is very subjective.  Other may come back and suggest a different notion.  

I consider Princess and P&O as Premium.  They for me don't tend to be in the Premium Plus category.  In the past, both brands have been considered by others as Premium Plus so it is close.  In my opinion they are a step up from Celebrity/HAL and yet not quite to the Crystal Cruise (of the Past and Now cruising again) ratings. 

Oh no, no need to apologize,  I was just curious.  

I've not been on P&O so can't offer an opinion.  I like Princess a lot.  I think I would have put Princess in the higher end of mass market category.  Same for Celebrity.    I find these categories kind of inexact as there can be wide differences between the cruise lines within a category and between ships within a cruise line.  

Maybe we need a new set of categories.  Though, having said that, I don't have a good suggestion about what they would be, other than, to me, most all are a luxury to be enjoyed.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I don't think even the P&O fans would claim that the line is a step up from Celebrity!

is there anywhere you can see the lines, side by side, with checks and nos on culture, costs ( all inclusive vs ala carte)  style ( dress codes etc) and amenities?  As a solo cruiser, I'm trying to find deals where you dont get absolutely gouged on supplement but want to have some span of choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

is there anywhere you can see the lines, side by side, with checks and nos on culture, costs ( all inclusive vs ala carte)  style ( dress codes etc) and amenities?  As a solo cruiser, I'm trying to find deals where you dont get absolutely gouged on supplement but want to have some span of choices.

@Meander Ingwa The answer is not that I know of.  However I can give you some idea's to look for.  I recently did a Solo Cruise on NCL in what is called a Club Balcony Suite.  I took it because I loved the ship and they were only charging a single rate instead of double occupancy.  I will never see that deal again because it was only $800.00 for the week.  So I go it by simply checking and when I saw it I pulled the trigger. 

Now on to your real intent for the question.  I will give you my best suggestion however you have to give me things you want and don't want in your next or first cruise experience.  For my evolution in cruising I started in an inside cabin one a Mainstream Cruise Brand.  Over the year I stepped up each cruise and ended up with my family of 5 in the Owners Suite.  My next cruise is on a Premium-Plus/Luxury brand for 10-days in the Mediterranean.  Now that I am 65 and getting older, I no longer need go carts, lasor tag, water slides and average buffets.  I want a different experience.  

Tell my what experience you want and I will give you places to look.  Little hint.  Premium Plus/Luxury and Ultra-Luxury understand they have folks that lost their spouses and are kind on the single supplement.  NCL larger ships have a Solo Section as to a few other lines.  

Hope that all makes sense.

Cruise well and enjoy ever moment. 

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't think even the P&O fans would claim that the line is a step up from Celebrity!

As I said and was careful mention.  Subjective.  I can see why they feel that way.

@Sthrngary thank you for your kind reply.  I am not a Go Large person.  I dont need floor shows , water slides or staff that breaks into song.  I dont feel happy with a mega ship and under 2000 is more suited

I am an independent traveler and do not need to be hand carried from here to there.  I do know when to pick my poison as far as staying in group safety.  I appreciate an included tour option

I am not given to beach life or think that cruising someplace just to get off a ship and sit on a beach is really experiencing the reason I travel.  I am a nature nut and also have interest in culture cities and the human story

My next booked trip is Northern Lights with Viking.  They showed no love on single supplement.  That is OK in this situation, but something I wish to keep to a more seasonable minimum.

I may grab a last minute Alaska as I live in the Seattle area and it is an easy last minute do in Late Sept or Oct..  A reasonable way to test out NCL    I am free to go so I am stalking the last minute deals.  That is where my questions arise.  When so many lines do somewhat the same trip(s) the choice becomes more about the ethos.  Feel pulled by a great last minute opportunity but on a cruise line that has formal and gala evening nights right and left.  I am not impressed by posh frocks and the people who judge them.  I am taken aback that there are lines that allow smoking.

My idea of a good evening is some trivia in the bar, good conversation (even though I am an introvert) and diverse people.  

So many choices makes me feel I might have to kiss some frogs as I dip my big toes into this adventure travel

15 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I may grab a last minute Alaska as I live in the Seattle area and it is an easy last minute do in Late Sept or Oct..  A reasonable way to test out NCL 

@Meander Ingwa This is a good idea, just go on the Bliss or the Encore.  The reason is the observation lounge in Alaska is the best place for viewing.  What for a Balcony to show no single supplement which happens on occasion than do the Upgrade Bid for the Haven.  If you get that far, let me know and I will give you strategy for Haven Upgrade Bids.

To be quite frank, I think you would be better off looking at Oceania Cruises.  They have something now called the "Extraordinary Sale" and "A Four Category Upgrade". I would do the Marina or Riviera with a preference for the Riviera because it was just dry docked.  1200 passengers, quiet focused on personalized service and food. The key is the Itinerary you would like to go on.  Here is the really important part, call them directly, the prices you see online are less.  You can always transfer your booking to a TA within 30 days.  

Think Viking for less money and better food. I also and I know this is hard to believe look at regent seven seas which is a Ultra-Luxury brand.  From time to time, the single supplement is less than one might think.  Just worth a look.  

I get what you outlined and think that you would enjoy what i call Quiet Excellence.  My challenge with cruising right now is over crowding, cutbacks in food and services.  That is why I suggested the approach above and attempting to bid up to the Haven.  As you made clear, being a solo is an issue that in most times makes you pay a premium of close to double.  Not fare, yet many lines now have solo cabins and the ones that are Luxury and Ultra-Luxury are worth looking into. 

Just my opinion.  Which is based on life being to short so you might as well have a really nice experience.  Hope that gives you some places to look. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your thoughts.  I actually contacted Hebridean Island Cruises due to a few posts here on CC and got a nice, prompt reply.  It may re-ignite my plan to tour Scotland by rail with an island hop bonus at the end!

Thanks for the tips on the Observation lounge,  Since the idea of sitting outside , on a balcony on the Salish Sea and Inside Passage in October sounds pretty horrid, having good viewing areas is a must.

I will explore Oceania and their offerings more closely.  Right now I am thinking towards winter 24/25.  If I bounce on to this Scotland idea it will be winter 25.  The idea of a southern hemisphere ramble appeals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Installment #2: Drink Programs

There are many misconceptions on drink programs.  It would seem, every cruise brand and category has their own take on it.  NCL has a Perk called "Free at Sea" and it includes an adult drink program yet you don't get it for nothing.  You have to pay a few hundred dollars for Tips which make the perk not exactly free.  Other brands have no drink program however you can buy a Wine/Beer at lunch and dinner, wine only by the bottle or unlimited Spirits, Wine and Beer for a cost.  That last example is Oceania. 

I have found most of these programs seem to be done by the cruise brands marketing department because they are not always as they seem when written on a cruise ad.  As with everything, read the find print.  Once you have a handle on it, you can make an informed business decision.  Remember the goal of this thread, "Realistic Expectations". 

Here is the mistake new guest make when considering a drink package.  They want to make the cruise brand lose money on them.  They figure, how many drinks makes buying the package a deal or value.  I have a much better approach to your decision but it end up being up to you at the end.  If you drink daily at home, get a drink package.  If you hardly ever drink, done.  Just buy a drink when you want one.  The tendency is to drink more on vacation so a daily drink at home turns into two or three.  

Will drink packages be a deal or value to you, "NO".  Will they make your vacation a little more relaxing, subjective but I say yes.  Since this thread is for 1st Time Cruisers stories of how I messed up might make you understand cruising better.  In the OLD days, their was no drink package. My wife and I had little money to go on vacation.  So we would buy the three-Bottle Wine Package and drink one bottle together every other night. One cruise we has a little extra money and we bought a cocktail from time to time.  Then we got our bill, under the door of our cabin on the dis-embarkment day.  All I am going to say is, "Not A Fun Document".  

This only happened once.  My goal on a vacation is to make it as "User Friendly" while vacationing as possible.  I do this by making it as "All-Inclusive" as I can.  So I buy drink packages knowing I will over pay but control my expenses.  I never worry about a bill under my stateroom door.  All That was figured out before I left for the vacation.  I also never count my drinks to make sure I get all my value.  Did I do that when we were much younger, "Yes".  Did I pay the price the next day with the Hang Over from Hell, "Yes".  I learned my lesson.  Maybe my story will help you.  

My final note to you as a new cruiser.  It is so easy to over do it on drinks your first night. You are happy, excited and want to party the night away.  Just use good business judgment so you first full day on the water is not spent in bed.  Sound advice from a old man that learned the hard way.

• Like 3

Installment #3: Live and Learn

From my first cruise 44 years ago, it seems every time I take a cruise I attempt to improve the experience in some way.  Often it is because of mistakes I have made and simply don't want to do THAT again.  Below I call this information, "Live and Learn".

Portfolio: This is you ongoing bill that usually can be viewed on your TV screen.  I look at my bill at the beginning of every day as a habit. It is always a bit confusing however after a while, it all becomes much easier to understand. Here are some things that has happened and you can make your own decision if it makes sense to you.

1. Drinks:  When there were no drink packages, my wife and I had a bit to much fun a few nights.  The fun ended on the last morning when the bill arrived. I should have checked.
  2. Drink Packages:  I usually always have a drink package for all members of my party.  Yet on three of the last four cruises, the cruise line messed up and did not have a member of my party with a drink package.  My portfolio showed the cost of drinks and I went to the guest services immediately.  
  3. For Sales Items In the Stateroom: Who knew all that stuff had a cost.  My kids sure did not.  Like with the drinks, it was a shock at the end of the cruise.  I now have the butler or Room Steward take or move all that stuff out so it won't be used.  
  4. Streaming Movies:  Some cabin categories include these other you have to pay for them.  Simply be aware so you are not surprised. 

Excursions and Ports: I have gone on some of the best and worst excursions available from the cruise brand.  I find them ALL to be a bit disorganized, very expensive and often time shorter than you might think due to transportation.  

1. Due Your Due Diligence: Read about each port and make sure you know you can't do everything.  YouTube is a great source. 
  2. Time:  The time in port and out of port needs to be taken into consideration when selecting excursions. Nothing is quite as disappointing as paying $499.00 for two in a All-Inclusive Over the Water Bungalow and only have about four hours there.  
  3. Review Everything:  Look at reviews and make it part of your preparation.  Not everyone likes the same things. 
  4. Food Off the Ship:  Lots of tourist traps at ports.  Research the best places to go at a port.  This one will both save you time and money.  It will also get you a much better dining experience. 

That should give you some things to think about.

Installment #4: Google Maps is Your Friend

I am old yet very good with computers and apps.  I traveled all my life for business so navigating travel is easy for me.  I thought I knew it all but my wife had some tricks up her sleave. We are cruising for 10 days in Europe.  I choose to do my own excursions, self guided tours and ground transportation.  So I do extensive research which I find fun.

When you are organizing what you want to do in lets say, Athens, Greece, laying out on a Google Map allows you to seamlessly go from from one location to the closest next location.  It shows when you are far from the city center from the port you are dock at.  That tells you to research ground transportation to get to the city center.  One more plus was where the airport was compared to where the pre-cruise hotel was located.  

I know have a written document on distances, where to pick up the bus or train, websites for making ground transportation ahead of time.  The ability to purchase attraction tickets online and the list goes on.  Everything is laid out on my Google Map and I have one for each port.  

Side Note, I am the only one in my group of four that does one once of planning way ahead of time.  My party will not even watch a video or spend more than two seconds discussing it.  That is very frustrating to me because history tells me, they all will get real interested three days before we leave.  By then, reservations will have been made, destinations will have been confirmed and I will be in no mood to change them because of sudden and late interest.  Yes, I cope an attitude when my party starts wanting to change things and my wife gets upset with me.  My line is this, "I asked everyone for feedback throughout this process.  No one wanted to participate.  If you don't like what I arranged, call your congressmen.  I will be following the plan."

I hope this stream is assisting some of you.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic tips, thank you. 🙂

When we check in at midnight, 3 weeks before we travel, does that mean midnight our time (British Summer Time) or is it American eg and we have to think about 5am British time etc?

What kind of plugs do the ships have? Eg. do we need to take European adapters for our chargers?

I totally understand about someone having to be organised in the group. The only time my partner has been interested was when I told him we have to book the excursions because the one I wanted to go on had sold out and I didn't want to miss out on any more.

I like your point about paying a bit more for the drinks package (we upgraded), so that we don't have to worry about our budget whilst enjoying our honeymoon. We are going on NCL.

9 minutes ago, SofaSogood said:

Fantastic tips, thank you. 🙂

When we check in at midnight, 3 weeks before we travel, does that mean midnight our time (British Summer Time) or is it American eg and we have to think about 5am British time etc?

What kind of plugs do the ships have? Eg. do we need to take European adapters for our chargers?

I totally understand about someone having to be organised in the group. The only time my partner has been interested was when I told him we have to book the excursions because the one I wanted to go on had sold out and I didn't want to miss out on any more.

I like your point about paying a bit more for the drinks package (we upgraded), so that we don't have to worry about our budget whilst enjoying our honeymoon. We are going on NCL.

@SofaSogood Sorry, I can not answer your question about time since the only knowledge I have is for the US.  

Great article-thanks for taking the time write it up. -

1st cruise-6/18 new Amsterdam. Booked ocean view guaranteed last week, (balcony was $2400+). 

Called today to ask about upgrade-he said only 1 left-$299/p so I jumped on it without asking DH. He had options bc they were ”working on assigning” but he said last midship, sunset side (concerned about motion sickness). 

From what i read, balcony is so worthwhile for Alaska &  i love coffee &wine on the veranda daily!. We’re very excited-even tho $329/ is $3000 all in!

i was not aware of club orange-can you please advise if that is something I should consider adding? TIA!

Edited by mcl082182

On 5/26/2023 at 6:52 AM, Sthrngary said:

Here is the mistake new guest make when considering a drink package.  They want to make the cruise brand lose money on them.  They figure, how many drinks makes buying the package a deal or value.  I have a much better approach to your decision but it end up being up to you at the end.  If you drink daily at home, get a drink package.  If you hardly ever drink, done.  Just buy a drink when you want one.  The tendency is to drink more on vacation so a daily drink at home turns into two or three.  

Will drink packages be a deal or value to you, "NO".  Will they make your vacation a little more relaxing, subjective but I say yes. 

This is a very good way to view these packages.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mcl082182 said:

Great article-thanks for taking the time write it up. -

1st cruise-6/18 new Amsterdam. Booked ocean view guaranteed last week, (balcony was $2400+). 

Called today to ask about upgrade-he said only 1 left-$299/p so I jumped on it without asking DH. He had options bc they were ”working on assigning” but he said last midship, sunset side (concerned about motion sickness). 

From what i read, balcony is so worthwhile for Alaska &  i love coffee &wine on the veranda daily!. We’re very excited-even tho $329/ is $3000 all in!

i was not aware of club orange-can you please advise if that is something I should consider adding? TIA!

@mcl082182 This is a HAL upgrade and I am not familiar with it.  I just looked it up and I think it is $25.00 per person per day.  I would watch some YouTube videos on it before committing.  Sorry I was not much help.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, Sthrngary said:

I am the only one in my group of four that does one once of planning way ahead of time.  My party will not even watch a video or spend more than two seconds discussing it.  That is very frustrating to me because history tells me, they all will get real interested three days before we leave.  By then, reservations will have been made, destinations will have been confirmed and I will be in no mood to change them because of sudden and late interest.  Yes, I cope an attitude when my party starts wanting to change things and my wife gets upset with me.  My line is this, "I asked everyone for feedback throughout this process.  No one wanted to participate.  If you don't like what I arranged, call your congressmen.  I will be following the plan."

I hope this stream is assisting some of you.  

Boy I can relate. I won't even entertain the thought of trying to plan everything for everyone. Back in the day when we were doing more all-inclusive resorts I had some folks that liked to travel with us from different parts of the USA and they would ask me where we were going and when so they could join us. I made it clear up front that it would be great to see them, but there better not be any complaining to ME about my choice of a resort. They never did. Years later I had someone try to talk me into  putting a group cruise together and I told them this is where a good travel agent shines. They ended up not even going on a trip.

So that leads me to this tip for new AND experienced cruisers. When folks hear about your trip and get excited so much that they want to travel with you, never leave yourself holding the bag. They need to pay their own way, through a TA or the cruise line. If they don't have any skin in the game it is too easy to change their mind and leave you eating the money. It amazes me how often I read threads on CC of people that are in this exact situation. The last one I saw, the person backing out didn't even have a good reason they just "changed their mind." If that was me I would be out the money and, someone that I considered a friend that I would never speak to again.

14 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Boy I can relate. I won't even entertain the thought of trying to plan everything for everyone. Back in the day when we were doing more all-inclusive resorts I had some folks that liked to travel with us from different parts of the USA and they would ask me where we were going and when so they could join us. I made it clear up front that it would be great to see them, but there better not be any complaining to ME about my choice of a resort. They never did. Years later I had someone try to talk me into  putting a group cruise together and I told them this is where a good travel agent shines. They ended up not even going on a trip.

So that leads me to this tip for new AND experienced cruisers. When folks hear about your trip and get excited so much that they want to travel with you, never leave yourself holding the bag. They need to pay their own way, through a TA or the cruise line. If they don't have any skin in the game it is too easy to change their mind and leave you eating the money. It amazes me how often I read threads on CC of people that are in this exact situation. The last one I saw, the person backing out didn't even have a good reason they just "changed their mind." If that was me I would be out the money and, someone that I considered a friend that I would never speak to again.

@Mike981 You see the challenges.  I made sure, I have everything I put up covered by being fully refundable to "ME".  When I make changes, which I just did with their airfare, I check with them via electronic mail and confirm.  Still, the airfare is fully refundable, to "ME".  

The Final Payment Due Date on my upcoming cruise is August 15, 2023.  They have to take money out of their retirement.  I told them it had to be paid, June 15, 2023. They made the transfers and and cutting me a check next week.  When we had to pay for our Cruise Travel Insurance, I got a check from them prior to confirming it.  

After 65 years of always being the bank with no return on investment, I got the picture that you outlined so well.  Thank you for the post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My goal is aways to book my own airfare when I cruise.  Also, to always fly at least the day before the cruise leaves the port.  I shared this in this stream in GREAT detail so I will not rehash it here.  This post is giving hints on keeping the airfare exactly what you intended while time passes before your cruise.  I hope it helps whom ever reads it. 

Follow Up on my Airline Events:  I really hesitate to comment on Airline preparation. There are some members that are truly experts.  My situation is simply outlining what happen to my reservations and itinerary to possibly help others on some level. 

• Doing My Own Flights: I have chosen to do my own air reservations for a party of four.  Two will use points, the other two will purchase "Fully Refundable Coach".  I choose fully refundable coach so if we cancelled the cruise, we would not take a loss on the air, which is a mistake I made in the past. I made the reservations as soon as the airline (Delta) offered them for sale.  I did this to gain the best value, itinerary and seating.  That was 330 days prior to departure/return.  I was actually online at 12:01 AM.  I am completely nuts with my preparation. 
  • Book Early for Best Value: During these 330 days, several of the flights have changed for one reason or another's.  My goal was to have everyone in my party on the same flights so we could all travel together.  
  • Coordination if you have a Group: When some flights changed for one couple, they did not always change for both.  I would call Delta and get the two reservations in-sync again. This has happened twice so far.  For those that say, tie the two reservations together, they are. 
  • Equipment Change Good/Bad: On the long-haul from JFK to Athens, they changed the equipment.  I am very precise where I want to sit on a long haul.  I want the window, in Delta One closest to the window.  Delta changed it with the new equipment.  I changes it back to the seats I wanted.  The GREAT news was I went from Delta One Business Class to Delta One Business Class Suites.  A marked improvement.  The message here is to check your flights and seats often.  
  • Most Recent Airline Change: This morning, our origination flight leaving at 05:30 AM in the morning showed "No Seating" assignments.  I now know what that COULD mean.  The flight is cancelled or there is a change in equipment.  In this case, the flight is cancelled which will put me and our group on the 06:30 AM flight.  This is the first flight out of our airport in the morning so it is rarely and issue to get to Atlanta on time.  We should still have over an hour and 20 minutes layover.  When triple connecting, I give as much fudge room with layovers as reasonable.  You just never know what will happen. 

Conclusion:  If you do your own airfare, changes happen.  Review your flights and seat often to see if it still works for you.  The quicker you get your new seats the better. Just my two cents.