Advice for 1st Time Cruisers from a Frequent Cruiser

Sthrngary

@Sthrngary  Thanks for all your helpful information as I really appreciate it. Is there a pre concierge to get in touch with to select the pillow menu or canapes?

Yes, I have read your Haven Secrets and you list some really good points. I guess we been lucky and always had good butlers. Can’t complain as we got very spoiled on our cruises.

We will be sailing in a PH2 suite.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BSR said:

Is there a pre concierge to get in touch with to select the pillow menu or canapes?

The way this works is, in a PH2, you have a early boarding time of 12:00 PM.  Usually, and that means most of the time, your Suite is ready when you board.  In the Haven, you can drop off your luggage early but the suite is not usually ready until 1:30 PM.  On Oceania, you go straight to your suite.  I love that part.

When you get to your suite, the pillow menu is on the bed.  You read the choices and share what you want with your butler.  Unlike the Haven where on day one, the butler can be hard to find early, Oceania they seek you out. Tell them your choose for the pillows and it is done quickly.

When you get in your rooms, there is a bottle of Real French Champagne (Blue Label).  If you don't want the Champagne, they will swap it out for wine.  Again, a Butler thing.  There will be a small plate of a few nice goodies next to the Champagne.  Nice touch.

On the afternoon canape', every morning the butler will give you a menu, you choose what you want.  

I know why you asked about the pre-cruise concierge.  Maria on the Pre-Cruise Haven Concierge Desk was wonderful for me.  You may or may not get call from Oceania.  Usually closer to the cruise departure date.  Have a list ready if you like.  On to the Penthouse PH2.  I hope my list below is what you were looking for.  YouTube has a video released yesterday with a complete walk through of the newly updated Riviera Penthouse.  I can't tell you the presenter because he is a travel agent and CruiseCritic.com will delete this post if I mention so just search.  

Penthouse (PH) categories: (In addition to all stateroom amenities.)

Accommodations:

Last time renovated was with drydock at the end of 2022 with the exceptions of a few PH3.

1.      Larger than a Concierge Stateroom.

2.      Desk, chair with large mirror and lighted makeup mirror. Outlets are right by makeup mirror.

3.      Complimentary still & sparkling “Vero™” Water with two (2) stainless steel Vero™ refillable bottles.

4.      Walk-In Master Bedroom Closet. This is always appreciated.  This will be all the room two (2) people will need.

a.       NOTE: The safe is NOT large enough for a laptop.

5.      Love Seat, table, and round storage ottoman.

6.      Dining room table and seating for two (2) for in-suite dining.  

7.      Recently redesigned master bathroom with single vanity sink, rain fall shower head and extra storage.

NOTE: I found it odd that a Penthouse had only one (1) sink.  Usually they have two (2).

8.      The veranda has two adjustable back cushioned chairs and a side table.

NOTE: Perfect for drinks yet NOT large enough for a full meal on your balcony. Some Penthouse suites on the back of the ship have extended and much larger balconies that wrap around the ship.

·        12:00 PM Early Embarkment, priority luggage delivery.

NOTE: Unlike other cruise brands, this embarkment means your suite will be ready when you come on-board. No waiting unless an unusual situation happens.

·        24/7 butler service with a suite wireless phone to take with you onboard to call the butler.

NOTE: If you are of the opinion, butlers do nothing for you, save your money and do not consider a Penthouse Suite or above.

·        The newly refurbished suites done late 2022 have been rewired to accommodate more U.S. outlets and USB outlets. 

NOTE: Not so on Oceania, Vista, and Owners Suite which lack this wiring upgrade.

·        Sweet Dreams™” Pillow Menu is located on the bed.

·        Complimentary welcome bottle of Heidsieck & Co Monopole Blue Label French Champagne. Not sparkling wine, REAL Champagne.  Nice touch!

·        Welcome Petit Fours and bowl of Werther's Candy.  Other brands have some items when you first get in your stateroom as well.  These Petit Fours are a small plate but of high-quality items.  “Less is more in this situation.”

·        Priority early online Specialty Restaurant Reservations. Earlier than other staterooms below Penthouse. When everyone on the ship gets one (1) guaranteed reservation per specialty restaurant, when you can book them early is a valuable amenity.  Many new guests don’t understand the value of early pre-booking for Specialty Restaurants. This can be a cause of disappointment when days and times are completely booked.

·        Suite expanded Rooms Service Menu. I am rarely a Room Service Guy.  In the past, on other brands I found the food not very good, average to below average quality and a limited menu.  This expanded menu is an enhancement. I also noticed no add-on charges for things like breakfast Steak and Eggs.

·        In-Suite dining from ANY restaurant including ALL specialty restaurants. The Penthouse Suite Table is a bit small but will work nicely for two (2) people.  If you can’t make a reservation at Polo Grill that night, have it served in your suite.  Nice touch especially if you can eat comfortably.

·        In-Suite Afternoon Tea Service. This is also a nice touch.  I would rather go to the Horizons Observation Lounge for the ship afternoon tea.  I do like having the choice. “Choices make a more luxurious experience for me.”

·        Afternoon Hors d’oeuvres that can be chosen from a special in-suites Hors d’oeuvres menu. The ability to make a choice is lovely, the quantity is small which does not affect your enjoyment of your dinner. Personalized service is all about providing a personalized choice. On other lines these afternoon Hors d’oeuvres are standardized for all.

·        Oceania no longer uses plastic bottled water.  You are provided aluminum containers for the Vero™ Water System to be refilled throughout the ship.

·        Thick terrycloth bathrobes. Two pairs of bathing slippers. Just a little bit of class to establish a sense of sending a message.  When in your suite, we want you to relax and be comfortable.”

·        Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees, and snacks throughout the day. A nice place for a light continental breakfast. The first time I had this kind of place was on the Celebrity Equinox (Michael’s Lounge).  It was small and cozy.  I loved it then and even more in Oceania.  Not everyone feels the same way, so it is empty most of the time.  For me that is a value.

·        Complimentary laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom (20) items per bag with a three-day turn-around time, some restrictions apply). Ask your Butler and know the rules and deadlines for providing your laundry service.

·        Unlimited access to “Aquamar™ Spa Terrace”. This lovely place is underutilized by most guests, especially when in a colder climate.  For me, this area is very important. 

NOTE: It reminds me of the Haven Sundeck, Vibe Beach Club and Thermal Spa combined.  This was a big benefit to my enjoyment.

·        Apple iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board. A nice to have but not a have-to-have amenity.

NOTE: This is based on limited availability.

·        Cashmere lap blankets. Needed at night in colder climates for the veranda. 

·        Complimentary shoeshine service by Butler.

·        Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply). Concierge and higher get four (4) items provided within the first three days of sailing.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

@Sthrngary  Wow! That is really a detailed list of the suite amenities. You definitely done your research.  I tried to find out information, but didn't even get close to what you discovered.  Not only is this helpful to me, but I'm sure other newbies will appreciate all your information.  I'm getting more and more excited to sail on Oceania. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Just now, FetaCheese said:

Gary, quite impressive research on all things O, especially PHV's.  Am I correct in that this will be your 1st O cruise, and in a Vista Suite?

@FetaCheese You are correct.  I will be in a Vista Suite.  I can't believe it but yes that is the case.

I feel like I won the lottery.

1 minute ago, BSR said:

@Sthrngary  Wow! That is really a detailed list of the suite amenities. You definitely done your research.  I tried to find out information, but didn't even get close to what you discovered.  Not only is this helpful to me, but I'm sure other newbies will appreciate all your information.  I'm getting more and more excited to sail on Oceania. Thanks again.

@BSR This level of detail was SUPER hard to get.  It took a long time.  This is a hobby of mine and I do it for all kinds of things.  I started when I wanted to go to the Four Day Hangout Music Festival on the Beach.  I wanted to go as a Super VIP category.  Nothing was available except marketing stuff that was awful.  So I took a Risk, Paid the HIGH Premium and wrote what I know call a "Journey Document".  I wanted folks considering it to know what the Amenities were and how to leverage every once of value from it. I am completely NUTS as you can tell.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, Sthrngary said:

The "Upgrade Fairy" is Alive and Well:

As with all of my posts, I am trying to give my experience of a level of success on topics new cruise guest have.  This one is popular to all cruise guests.  I purposely have not posted this on the cruise brands because the long-time loyal brand folks, tell me all the time, it won't happen.  Yet, below I will show you how it happened to me, on more than one occasion and the actions I took.

The subject, gaining upgraded staterooms hence the "Upgrade Fairy":

My most recent situation and I will be very specific. 

Timing of Cruise: Want an upgrade, choose a cruise date that is the first or second week our of prime sailing dates. I am on a 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise in the first week November 2023. This opens up a ship not to be completely filled.  That opens up a higher chance of success for an upgrade.

Watch for Upgrade Promotions:  Want to take a cruise, choose brand, timing and budget.  Go on that brands social media site and read the posts often.  All of a sudden, the post comes up about a promotion/sale.  Social media will get you the alert before you will hear it from any other source. My situation was the upgrade promotion was a four category upgrade.  I went from the least expensive Concierge Stateroom to the least expensive Penthouse with butler at the same fare. Do you consider that an upgrade?  I do.

Tell Your Story and Ask for a Professional Courtesy: Can you write is good letter? Can you tell a good story in writing? Write a well thought out letter with lots of complements about the experience you have had on the brand to this point.  Here is the most important point, don't lie.  Either you have had excellent service or you did not.  Mean it or don't say it.  Brands love to hear the successes of their team members.  The Team member also love receiving that input and it helps their careers. At the end of the letter, give a good reason for the brand to consider offering you a upgrade.  Never demand, never threaten, never be insincere or rude. It could be a story about the guest traveling with you and the hardship they have gone through to get to this cruise.  Just be truthful.  Send this letter via certified mail to the top four executives at the brand and wait for the phone call back.  

The Promising Phone Call:  That call stimulated by this letter comes about two weeks later.  When it does be shocked which you should be.  No one ever believes this will happen.  Also, be prepared with questions or requests like early reservations to special restaurants.  I recently received that phone call, asked for a few minor things in my suite and early reservations to the specialty restaurants.  Normally, this confirmed reservations happen 90 days in advance.  Mine were done 150 days in advance. I shared this on the brands social media board which I will NEVER EVER do again.  I was attached and called a liar.  I posted the screen shot from my online account supporting my claim and still got claims of being a liar.  At the end of the call with the rep, ask if at all possible to be considered for an upgrade.  Finally, ask for a email from them to confirm your other requests.  

Emails Provide Direct Communication With Executives:  Once the rep send you an email, look at their direct email address.  JHarris@(Brand).com.  First initial followed by last name at the brand.  Now find out the CEO, President, V.P. and other executives names.  You now can send an email directly to them. Don't send an email unless you want it to count.  To many gets you blocked.  Be smart and strategic. 

Look for Future Promotions:  The term is Double Dip.  Using two promotions at the same time.  I already had the four-category upgrade.  I had a fully refundable security deposit paid.  Social Media announced a special promotion.  I called my Travel Agent, she checked and I got a reduction of $1800 per cabin and keep the original 4-Catigory Upgrade. My guest were thrilled. My fare not was over $1,000 less per person than the same itinerary, on a mainstream cruise brand in their special VIP section.  

Ask for a Paid Upgrade: Have your travel agent call the cruise brand as the cruise gets closer and ask for a guest paid upgrade opportunity.  I have stayed in the best and worst stateroom on a ship.  I was already in a Penthouse with a butler.  I wanted the next category up.  My full fare at the time was $2,750.00 per person which is a bargain.  The next category was $9,000.00 per person. I asked for guest paid upgrade and was given one for $2,000.00 per person.  Now I am in a $18,000 suite for $4,700.00 per person.  That is about what the Penthouse would have been if there was not two promotions on this cruise.  This might not be worth it to you, it was to me at my age.  Remember to each their own. You can imagine what might happen if I shared this with the folks on the Social Media blog.  All hell would have broken loose. 

Bid An Upgrade:  I have done this many times especially with NCL.  What every stateroom you are in, close to the cruise they give you a bidding opportunity.  Travel Agents say, they are a waste of time.  I say, do your research and be strategic.  How much was the upgraded stateroom you wanted selling for now.  What is the current inventory for that desired stateroom.  The more open, the less you bid.  You want the NCL Haven, it is all about inventory availability.  Choose your bid, know it could or could not happen and be happy with your result.  Never offer the same amount as you could have purchased it for retail.  In that case just contact your agent and upgrade for a cost.  The key here is gaining an upgrade at a true value.

I hope you like my approach and stories.  I assure you, I am transparent all the time.  Have a question, feel free to ask on this stream.  Remember, I share this because you deserve to have some information even if it is your first cruise.  Just be happy with the results you achieve. 

Received the O "Summer Sale up to 40% Savings" brochure today.  

09 NOV 23 Riviera cruise, with SM -- PH w/air is $4,700.  Would have to call O or TA to get Vista Suite fare (if offered on sale).  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Received the O "Summer Sale up to 40% Savings" brochure today.  

09 NOV 23 Riviera cruise, with SM -- PH w/air is $4,700.  Would have to call O or TA to get Vista Suite fare (if offered on sale).  

Not sure the Oceania, Vista, and Owners Suites are on the promotion. Worth a call.  My situation was the result of a comedy of errors.  To long a story tell. I also did not take the airfare, I booked business class Delta one using every last Delta mile I had saved for years.  

On that sailing, everything is waitlisted except one Owners Suite on deck 8.  I look at that sailing every day because I have one more booking for our best friends who are cruising with us. They have a PH3 Guarantee.  

My hopes are the will get a PH1 when they clear.  

Edited by Sthrngary

Hello All:

I started this stream for NEW cruisers.  I wanted to provide some usable information to help you control the items on a cruise that you could effect.  To give some hints on questions that are commonly asked by others and myself that have dealt with them. To have credible information by people that take it seriously with the goals of Realistic Expectations and enhancing your cruise vacation experience.

I am THRILLED with the last few posts above where truly experienced cruise have joined.  They know so much about cruising yet they had questions about a specific cruise brand that they and I are sailing on in the not to distant future.  The message here is even Long-Term Experienced Cruises have questions.  They want to make sure they know what a cruise brand provides to insure a successful vacation.  My responses usually are "Cut & Paste" from documents I work on daily.  Those document are really for my benefit and the benefit of the guest that join me.  Yet, I am always happy to share. So, new to cruising and New to a brand is very much the same thing.  

Never be afraid to ask questions.  My goal was to have many of the questions already answered so this and other OP-ED's can be used as a reference.  I have found it much to difficult to search on CruiseCritic.com a fine point.  That is why many of the exact same questions are asked on a board over and over again.  

This stream will take turns along the way.  That is the fun part.  However, it will always come back to ways all of use can learn to take advantage of our RARE vacation opportunities.  I learn so much from you so you need to give back by writing balanced reviews when you finally cruise.  Always be honest and factual.  The member of CruiseCritic.com will be very appreciative for that information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your posts have been so helpful. I love how you analyze the pros and cons. My question relates to check-in and boarding time. If I select the earliest boarding time, what is the waiting area like for NCL in the Seattle port? I’ve heard it is better to select something later to eliminate a wait. But we want to sign up for karting and also a 3 person reservation for hibachi. And comedy.  What are typical wait times like? I am the vacation planner for our family, and this is our very first cruise. I’m leaning towards the earliest time, but will this involve three hours of standing in a line? 

6 minutes ago, 22KristenB said:

My question relates to check-in and boarding time. If I select the earliest boarding time, what is the waiting area like for NCL in the Seattle port?

Here is my strategic answer.  On NCL, 21 days before your leave the Online Check-In opens up.  I get on the link the moment it is open to my cruise to get the earliest check-in time at the port.  I want "Group #1".  I then find a seat as close to the entry door as possible.  The people when boarding starts are "Animals" sometimes.  So the time for check-in is 09:00 AM, you are in Group #1, you find a seat in front entry.  You will wait for the ship to clear all guests, get inspected, they let the Haven Guest on first, Disabled followed by military/first responders, then Group #1.  That usually starts at 11:00 AM.  

You bring a book or have a fully charged phone to enjoy your two hours.  I do this all the time. The time flies by.  I want on the ship as soon as possible. 

14 minutes ago, 22KristenB said:

But we want to sign up for karting and also a 3 person reservation for hibachi. And comedy.

Go-Carts strategy is a good one.  The Hibachi reservation should be for 2 or 4.  Do it online for 4, as soon as you can.  You can't get reservations for the Comedy Club or the Cavern Club.  It is first come, first served before the show.  Reservations for the Main Theatre Shows need a reservation.  Look on your Online NCL App under your reservation.

I hope this information is helpful.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Go-Carts strategy is a good one.  The Hibachi reservation should be for 2 or 4.  Do it online for 4, as soon as you can.  You can't get reservations for the Comedy Club or the Cavern Club.  It is first come, first served before the show.  Reservations for the Main Theatre Shows need a reservation.  Look on your Online NCL App under your reservation.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you so much for your opinion on boarding. I respect your expertise! I tried to make hibatchi reservations online and they said if I booked for four, they would charge me for four, and I could not be refunded the difference. I spoke to someone in the messenger app. They told me for 3, I would have to sign up in person. I think it was because we already used our dining credits. I thinking I can sign up for three when we board. If we don’t get it, no big deal. Plenty of other options - including the ones without a charge. It’s vacation! 🙂 Your posts have been so helpful! 

14 minutes ago, 22KristenB said:

they would charge me for four, and I could not be refunded the difference

Call NCL directly.  That does not sound right.  I get your situation.  I am always of the opinion, do everything you can so when you are on the ship, no thought is needed. Your situation, just does not make sense to me based on my past experiences.  Messaging and calling are two different folks.  Give the call a try. 

Since you like my recommendations, let me give you a Family Cruising Tradition.  We always book this place the last night.  Not that the food is so great.  It is just a ball of fun.  Consider that and you do you. 

• Thanks 1

Topic: "Respect, I get no respect at all!!"

This thread is all about "1st time cruisers".  My emphasis is preparation and strategy to enhance your cruising experience.  All this work allows a "Realistic Expectation" for your vacation.

My preparation is excessive which I fully admit.  I can justify my reasons emotionally but it would be a lie.  I do it because I like doing it.  The benefit my family gains is a secondary benefit to me.  Yet my actions are validated as the cruise vacation comes closer.  Allow me to give a situation that happened literally yesterday with my wife.

We are 100 days out to our 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise.  We have a pre-hotel in Athens, Greece.  This will allow us to arrive in the embarkment port city one day early and in the morning.  We will be tired and jetlagged but push through to enjoy this one day in Athens, Greece.  I have travel to Europe many time in my business career and know how to handle getting on the time zone. In the Journey Document that I created for my wife and friends, I talk about jet lag. Will my guest take my advice? Probably not but that is the nature of advice.  Like many of the items I have presented on this topic stream, most folks will NOT utilize them.

One of the things I did was gain a "Hard To Get" reservation for a restaurant on the highest mountain top of Athens, Greece.  Unbelievable view and great food. You take a tram to the top of the mountain, there are some steps to get to the restaurant. Yesterday my wife finally watches the video on this lovely experience and says the following;

"We will never make it to this place. 

We will be to tired and those steps to the restaurant will be to hard."

Here is the lesson for this blog entry.  Having something planned and researched is knowing what is available.  When the time comes to do them, it depends on how you feel at the time.  If you are to tired from travel and Jetlag, the group says skip the restaurant reservation, you cancel it.  That is just fine.  Sad but fine. The key is, you knew about this great experience. You took action to do it.  You decided to skip it.  That for me is better than finding out we missed an opportunity after we came back from our trip.

We planners have to understand, our guests and family only get involved at the "last minute".  They tend to procrastinate.  But when they get involved, they tend to throw a wrench in a lot of the work we do.  Somethings like hard to get reservations for Cruise Ship Specialty Restaurants can't be changed. When your guest say, "I will change them", let them.  Remind them not to give up the reservations we have until they confirm the new reservation.  Your guest will learn quickly that there was a reason you did all these reservation early.

Don't get mad, just go with the flow.  If you force folks to do things they don't want to do, it will be a bad experience for all.  So the hard to get "Mountain Top Restaurant" reservation in Athens, Greece may be utilized or not. The opportunity would not be there if not for you and your due diligence.  Now apply this strategy to all your planning and watch how your vacation will be enhanced. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

We planners have to understand, our guests and family only get involved at the "last minute".  They tend to procrastinate.  But when they get involved, they tend to throw a wrench in a lot of the work we do.  

That wrench can happen from a multitude of directions. Delayed flight, bad weather, getting injured or sick etc. You can plan only so much but realizing things happen and learning to go with the flow is the best way to enjoy in the moment.

I am an over planner. I literally have a plan if my luggage is lost how will I replace my essentials before boarding a cruise. I hope to never use this plan (the time they lost my luggage I didn’t have a plan) but it reduces my anxiety to know the plan is there and I’ve done my research.

I love this series of posts you have been doing. They are so detailed and make me think every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I love this series of posts you have been doing. They are so detailed and make me think every time.

Thank you so much.  Let me know if you have a topic you want me to add to this theme. 

"And Then There Was Nothing Left To Do!"

One of my biggest mistakes was visualizing my vacation over and over in my mind.  In my day dreams, it was perfect in every way.  Anyone that has ever taken a cruise knows nothing is ever perfect.  I want to give you and example so you can see how focusing the perfect vacation can backfire.

On NCL's private island they have a very expensive excursion where you rent a Private Beach Villa.  One price, you can have up to 6 people.  The place is lovely with A/C, Internet, a few soft drinks and on a private beach.  You get a Golf Cart ride from the entrance of the island to this private beach. 

It was very nice but not the perfect time I was hoping and dreaming about.  I was in a fool mood the entire day and really can't put my finger on why.  My family thought the place was lovely with the exception of the sand.  We lived in Miramar Beach, FL where the sand is the best I have ever scene.  My mood was because my expectation was higher than reality.  My mistake and I am careful not to do this as much anymore.

My title to this segment is, "And Then There Was Nothing Left To Do!"  In 100 hundred days my wife and best friends will be on a 17 hour series of flights to Athens, Greece for a 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise on Oceania Cruises.  There is no more planning left to do.  We paid for the entire cruise a month ahead of time.  My guest joining my wife and me, have had to do nothing.  I have taken care of everything.  

I wrote a journey document which gives instructions on Ground Transportation, Attractions, Websites for online tickets, and where to get some delightful foods.  Included is a section on the Culture of each country being visited and how to be careful of scams.  If there was special reservations needed for the Specialty Restaurants on the ship, they have been booked.  Everything from special request of the butler have been sent and confirmed.  Transfers Booked, Flights Booked, Hotels Booked, and pre-cruise dining reservation booked. 

Now, I am depressed.  There is nothing left to do.  I am bored and every time I watch another YouTube Video, I realize I have already watched it.  I got so bored today, I went out looking for a new car.   Just the way it is for a crazy planner I guess.

• Like 2

The best advice that I have was related to me on these boards about 20 years ago.

Take half of the clothes that you think you need and twice as much money.  Still true today.😉

• Haha 2

Want to Select a Cruise Brand?  Research and Ask Questions!

Every cruise brand has positives and negatives.  They can not be perfect for every guest.  Always reminds me of Ford and Chevy Trucks.  Both trucks about the same size with the same stuff.  Some folks will only purchase Chevy and other only Ford.  

My approach is to go to the brand board on CruiseCritic.com I am interested in, in my recent case it was Oceania Cruise, and read all the posts.  Engage and ask questions.  Make a list of what you learn.  Something will suit you others will not.  

When the cruise is very expensive, look at what all the brands you are interested in provide including the investment.  The best think you can do is know what you are paying for so you won't be disappointed.  My last comparison was Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, Viking, SeaBourne, SilverSeas, Oceania Cruises and the VIP sections of NCL, Celebrity and MSC.  

When I was done, I could see very clearly which cruise brand provided the best value proposition.  I also learn all about each cruise brand.  Making a booking decision was that much easier with the knowledge base. The down side it the time to research.  The upside is you greatly reduce making an expensive mistake.  

On 5/23/2023 at 5:11 PM, Sthrngary said:

Are you new to cruise vacations? Welcome.  On the boards you will see many post that start with, “This is my cruise cruise…..”.  I have written a lot about cruising over my 44 years and 30 cruises.  When I think of my first cruise, which was again, a very long time ago, it seems everything was perfect.  Memories do that to people.  In today’s cruising world, doing due diligence is a very proactive and positive approach.  I will give you some hints and you can ask me anything you like.  First let’s start with education.

Education:

In my humble opinion, there are several levels of cruise brands. 

·        Mainstream: NCL, Royal Caribbean, MSC, and Carnival. These cruises are usually family oriented and very classic from a standpoint of layout, entertainment, pool games, Itinerary onboard and the list goes on. Most folks have their favorites for one reason or another.  It is relative. 

·        Premium: Celebrity, Disney, and Holland America. Debatable, however, more reviews these with slightly better food and services. Holland America usually has a bit older crowd and Disney is focused on Entertainment as one would expect. 

·        Premium Plus/Luxury:  Viking, Crystal, and Oceania.  Food, drink, and personalized service is raised, and you pay for it.  The ships are smaller and can go into smaller ports. I have found the activities and entertainment better in the other categories.  The crowd seems to be 60 and above. 

·        Ultra-Luxury:  Ritz Carlton and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  There are more brands that fall into this category, and some feel the brands in Luxury should be included.  Loyalty to a brand is a big thing in cruising. Ultra-Luxury usually is close to all inclusive and it better be at the cost often of a brand-new SUV.  Everything is up a notch. Dining and food are usually good to great.  Personalized server is over the top.  Most everything is part of your fare from Gratuities to drinking programs and in some cases even excursions. The more you charge the more can be included.

Now, many of the brands have a concept made famous by NCL called a “Ship-Within-A-Ship”.  It allows you to have more of a luxurious cruise in a private VIP area and still have access to the rest of the ships’ activities and shows.  NCL has the Haven, MSC has the Yacht Club, Celebrity has the Retreat.  You have a serious premium you must pay, and some say they love this option because it is the best of both worlds.

Essentially there is an experience for everyone that depends on your personal budget, wants, needs, and motives.  This brings me to my next section called, “Know Yourself”.

Know Yourself:

Take out a piece of paper and write down all the things you want in your next vacation experience.  My wife and I do this anytime we are going to spend a significant amount of money.  Whether homes, cars, appliances, and yes vacations.  

Now match your list to the brands, amenities, perks provided and reputation online.  Wait, you are new so hard to do that.  Well, you have the perfect environment to research here on CruiseCritic.com.  Go to the brand boards, click the button for boards on your top right of your screen and choose a brand.  Now read some of the postings for the brand you selected.  Go to the reviews and read some of them.  You will get the idea very quickly.  Other social media video sites are also extremely helpful.  Remember to keep in mind your list created.  You will NOT click all the boxes, but you might come close.

About now you might say, “why so much effort, I just want to go on a vacation?” My reason is based on the phrase, “Realistic Expectations”.  The more due diligence you do, the higher likelihood you will be happy at the result of the experience. I used to love Disney World however it takes some strategy to fully enjoy that vacation.  Best time to go to the park, restaurants, which rides get the most crowd and where to stay. The best strategies, based on good research, get the best results.

A word of advice before we move forward.  I was SO excited prior to one of my many cruises that I messed it up for myself.  I had “unrealistic expectations” by looking for perfect.  Daydreaming about a cruise is NOT reality.  Every cruise has positives and negatives just because of the nature of being on the sea. Some things are not controllable by humans. So, stay flexible and go with the flow.  That was some GREAT advice.

Where to buy your cruise:

Please lose the thought of “Best Price”.  Years ago, that might have been some crazy deals to be had.  Over those decades pricing got super competitive even between like brands. Computers now control pricing so looking for the ultimate deal has less likelihood of being found.  So, let’s choose where to buy first then when to buy for the best strategic result. The main outlets to purchasing a cruise are as follows:

·        Third Party Sources: We have guidelines here on CruiseCritic.com and I am not sure I can mention the names of the major third-party companies.  So do a google search on your own.  These companies are good, however, since their discounting clearly lets you know, not the places to gain unbelievable service after the fact.  Yet, the pricing is better because of several reasons. 

o   The source gives up some commission because they do huge volume.

o   Often you book with a deposit that is non-refundable.

o   The perks given by other sources are not always provided.

o   The rule here is “read the fine print before you make the booking”.  Be educated and know what you are buying.  I have booked with some of those sources and was pleased.  Yet in the back of my mind was, If the price is discounted, how much of the service, if needed, would be discounted?” 

·        Cruise Travel Agents: Like with any industry there are good and bad agents.  Look for one with a great reputation.  Community guidelines do not allow endorsement of any agent or agency so again, google is your friend.  Look at reviews of their service especially when something went wrong.  Communication promptness is a key.  A word of caution, when you are watching videos made by Travel Agents or Cruise Influencers, it does not mean they are great with their customer service.  Check them out as you would with a real estate agent.  Your selection makes a difference especially when, not if, something is not quite right. As with third parties, cruise travel agents can give up some of their commissions, or their agencies might be doing some sort of promotion from time to time. Don’t count on it but do ask. 

·        Cruise Brand Direct Booking: I have used Third Party, Cruise Travel Agents and Booked Direct.  The issue for me is American Express Platinum Card Cruise Perks.  When you book direct or Third Party, they do not give the perks which for me can be as much as $300 of On-Board Credit and dinner for two at a specialty restaurant/Wine Event. So, if the AMX perk are NOT available for a sale/promotion, that is when I book direct.  The key is the ONLY time you can communicate directly with the cruise brand on an issue or change is when you book directly.  With the other two cases, the Third Party or Travel Agent is the direct customer of the cruise brand. This can be frustrating when you are more passionate about your issue then your Agent. No discounts or perks other than what is available to every other client that books directly.   You can book direct and transfer your booking to an agent within a time of 30 days with some restrictions.  Call the cruise brand for more details.

How To Reduce Your Cost after Booking:

There are websites that you can join to get price fluctuations.  This is why having a refundable security deposit is so important.  Here is what I do and the key to remember is once the full balance is due and you have paid it, all bets are off.  I go on CruiseCritic.com daily to the cruise brand I booked and look for posts on special sales.  When I see one, I call my Cruise Travel Agent and see if I qualify.  If so, I have gotten stateroom upgrades, reduced fairs, and On-Board-Credit.  Sometimes, I am not eligible.  Either way, this is the real key to getting a great fare, but it takes some work.  So cruising is a rare opportunity to reduce your fare after you purchased it.  That is why I usually book as far in advance as possible.

Pre-Cruise Flights and Hotels:

After 30 cruises you learn from your mistakes.  Too much money is on the line to take any chances.  The personal rule is to fly into the port at least a day before the cruise leaves. This is a result of almost missing a cruise twice.  The stress and anxiety it put me throw was not worth saving in time.  I have heard all the excuses in the world because clients think flying on a cruise the day of is a good idea.  I have read all the horror stories when it does not work well which usually ends up blaming the cruise line or the airline. 

·        Pre-Cruise Flights:  Sometimes it seems the cruise brand has a deal on air which is sold as a promotion.  If you take the cruise brand air, remember it will not have all the control you might like to have when booking air travel. The cruise brand chooses the air brand, itinerary, day, times, and does it to be as cheap as possible.  You often can make changes however they have a premium or cost.  It is a good idea to plan your cruise as early as possible and gain your own flight reservations so you can control them.  Look to see if they are competitive prices.  I recently did a Europe flight, with a fully refundable ticket, that was about the same as the so-called promotion with the cruise brand. The challenge with booking a non-refundable fare is you are stuck with it if you cancel your cruise reservation.  This provides food for thought when booking a pre-cruise flight.

·        Pre-Cruise Hotel: I usually use a discount hotel site that allows for full refunds.  My choice is to get as close to the port as possible to make my travel time short for the morning.  This goes with my approach to getting on the ship as soon as possible with a drink in my hand.

Pre-Cruise Registration:

The moment you can pre-register, do it.  It is usually 21 days in advance of your departing date.  The reason is at that time, you can choose an early boarding time at the gate.  The cruise lines tend to be strict at these times so remember this advice. 

This is a good start, if you have any other 1st Timer Question, just let me know.

Thank you so much for your post. Although I am not a first time cruiser myself, I have a few friends who would like to go on their first cruise with me. I'll definitely share your post with them, it is really useful, thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, Sthrngary said:

My goal is aways to book my own airfare when I cruise.  Also, to always fly at least the day before the cruise leaves the port.  I shared this in this stream in GREAT detail so I will not rehash it here.  This post is giving hints on keeping the airfare exactly what you intended while time passes before your cruise.  I hope it helps whom ever reads it. 

Follow Up on my Airline Events:  I really hesitate to comment on Airline preparation. There are some members that are truly experts.  My situation is simply outlining what happen to my reservations and itinerary to possibly help others on some level. 

• Doing My Own Flights: I have chosen to do my own air reservations for a party of four.  Two will use points, the other two will purchase "Fully Refundable Coach".  I choose fully refundable coach so if we cancelled the cruise, we would not take a loss on the air, which is a mistake I made in the past. I made the reservations as soon as the airline (Delta) offered them for sale.  I did this to gain the best value, itinerary and seating.  That was 330 days prior to departure/return.  I was actually online at 12:01 AM.  I am completely nuts with my preparation. 
  • Book Early for Best Value: During these 330 days, several of the flights have changed for one reason or another's.  My goal was to have everyone in my party on the same flights so we could all travel together.  
  • Coordination if you have a Group: When some flights changed for one couple, they did not always change for both.  I would call Delta and get the two reservations in-sync again. This has happened twice so far.  For those that say, tie the two reservations together, they are. 
  • Equipment Change Good/Bad: On the long-haul from JFK to Athens, they changed the equipment.  I am very precise where I want to sit on a long haul.  I want the window, in Delta One closest to the window.  Delta changed it with the new equipment.  I changes it back to the seats I wanted.  The GREAT news was I went from Delta One Business Class to Delta One Business Class Suites.  A marked improvement.  The message here is to check your flights and seats often.  
  • Most Recent Airline Change: This morning, our origination flight leaving at 05:30 AM in the morning showed "No Seating" assignments.  I now know what that COULD mean.  The flight is cancelled or there is a change in equipment.  In this case, the flight is cancelled which will put me and our group on the 06:30 AM flight.  This is the first flight out of our airport in the morning so it is rarely and issue to get to Atlanta on time.  We should still have over an hour and 20 minutes layover.  When triple connecting, I give as much fudge room with layovers as reasonable.  You just never know what will happen. 

Conclusion:  If you do your own airfare, changes happen.  Review your flights and seat often to see if it still works for you.  The quicker you get your new seats the better. Just my two cents. 

Hi, I’m not new to cruising but haven’t been in awhile and feel like a fish out of water, so much has changed, I’ve cruised RCL, Princess and NCL. RC was always my favorite but almost every review of all of these now is terrible. I’ve been trying to plan for my 50th in the spring (still think I’m 30 though) and have no idea which way to go now based on what I’m reading!

17 minutes ago, CrossM2 said:

Hi, I’m not new to cruising but haven’t been in awhile and feel like a fish out of water, so much has changed, I’ve cruised RCL, Princess and NCL. RC was always my favorite but almost every review of all of these now is terrible. I’ve been trying to plan for my 50th in the spring (still think I’m 30 though) and have no idea which way to go now based on what I’m reading!

@CrossM2 Since it is your 50th, all you have to tell me is where you want to go.  I understand how you feel about being out of cruising for a while.  I also need a budget.  

I have been cruising for a long time and some of what has happened in cruising really was not to my liking.  So about 6 years ago, I bit the bullet and did an NCL Haven Cruise.  Now I put the Haven in the same category as MSC Yacht Club and the Celebrity Retreat.  All are a private area on a bigger ship that is exclusive.  Lots of video's on these area's but it is a premium price.

It you are laid back and just want to chill, If you don't need waters slides or Broadway shows, then my advice would be Oceania or Viking.  When you go from Mainstream Cruise brands to Premium-Plus/Luxury, you are treated consistently throughout the ship regardless of you stateroom.  I am 66, love the Haven but going on a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise and the cost is actually less than the VIP sections mentioned on main stream brands.  Food it better, service is better and the bars close at 11 ish because most of the cruises are port intensive.  

Two choices, depending on a lot of variables only you can outline.  Give me more information and I can assist you better.  In closing, I used to cruise for the lowest price.  As time went on I wanted more from my experience.  Now I cruise less but pay a bit more and the things that started to bother me are gone.  Hope that all makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1