Disembarking mid-cruise

bones774

Hi All, 

new to Cunard and of course i have a question here. Traveling as a solo I found a very good rate on a 40 day extended Cunard cruise, more days than i can manage. However, the solo rate for the whole 40 day cruise is much better than any shorter segment of the cruise. So, could i start the cruise as advertised for the full length and get off midway at some point of my choosing? Starting in Canada, then USA, then Panama Canal back to USA where id probably jump off. Just wondering about Cunard policies and the Jones Act rules?? Thanks

Since you started on Canada and may get debark in USA, the Jones Act may not apply.
Jones Act covers more along intra-US transport via foreign made “bottomed” ships. 
Cunard has to worry about the Jones Act more than you do. 

Edited by NE John

13 minutes ago, NE John said:

Since you started on Canada and may get debark in USA, the Jones Act may not apply. Cunard has to worry about the Jones Act more than you do. 

They may approach me with security personnel to prevent my disembarkation and 10k fine for them!

From Investopedia:

How Does the Jones Act Affect Cruise Ships?

While the Jones Act does not cover passenger vessels, a related law has a similar effect on cruise ships. Under the 1886 Passenger Vessel Services Act, a foreign ship cannot transport passengers directly between two U.S. ports. This means that a foreign-flagged cruise ship (the vast majority of cruise ships) must include foreign ports in any itinerary that begins and ends in a U.S. port. This often results in confusion or even fines for passengers who disembark at ports that violate the Jones Act.10

Since your getting on in Canada, this is not intra-US transport. You’re right in checking with Cunard

These laws are why you won’t see an cruise ship itinerary from NYC to Miami then back to NYC without a Caribbean/Mexico etc call somewhere. 
Another example - Cunard has their “New England” cruise that includes Canada for the exact reason to stay within these laws. 
I worked for the Port Authority of NY/NJ eons ago and know enough about the Jones Act just to be dangerous!

I can't really see how they can stop you - particularly if you are embarking in Canada.  People leave cruises early for many reasons- often medical evacuation.  So long as you are legally allowed to be in the country - I would just advise them a few days prior. Assuming you are a resident/citizen of the US it should be simple to  leave early there. If you did it a Caribbean country or Central America it maybe a little more complex as you would have been "signed in  : to the country on the ship and be expected to leave the same way 

Edited by lissie

We were told many years ago when querying the same, much depends on the ability of port immigration of the proposed disembarkation port to allow us to leave a few days earlier.

Our query was with regards to world cruise segments so the information we received might not apply to your itinerary.

From what you describe as the itinerary, there is no legal reason for not allowing you to disembark early.  However, Cunard may reserve the right to charge you fees for the changing/resubmitting of the passenger manifest for the remainder of the cruise, or until the end of the next segment, and for having a CBP agent available to clear you off the ship, rather than the rather automatic clearing of the ship for "day pass" port calls.

12 hours ago, NE John said:

The Jones Act is a relic and should be scrapped, btw…

I would hope that you feel the same way about the cabotage laws of the EU, Brazil, Russia, Japan, and China, along with the others of the 80+ nations that have maritime cabotage laws.  And, besides, the PVSA applies to much more than cruise ships.

10 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

People join ships at ports after the original one due to a variety of reasons and people leave ships before the end of the voyage again for a variety of reasons. All Cunard will want is to be asked for permission "Before" showng up at the gangway with your luggage and saying I am out of here. That could cause you pain.

People also "leave" ships because they miss the sailing: Cunard say they'll sail without you, so you must be able to leave when you want

Whether you could then rejoin later? is that what is intended?

Several years ago Cunard included Halifax on the occasional Atlantic crossing. We wanted  to disembark a w/b crossing at Halifax. I wrote about this a while back so please forgive me for telling it again for the benefit of those who haven't read previous discussion.

Cunard initially told my travel agent that "it can't be done. They have to go to New York."  While my TA was pursuing this with Cunard I contacted Canada's immigration service. I was assured by a  senior agent in Ottawa that we could as long as it was an international voyage. Eventually Cunard agreed and we were issued with a "Deviation of Itinerary" form.  There was no problem and 30 passengers who live in Canada disembarked in Halifax.

Cunard should be informed  of your intentions and if at first they say no pursue the matter as long as your request is within the law. If you have a knowledgeable travel agent that will make it easier.

• Thanks 1