Tuxedo rental

Thad409

We started cruising in the early 2000s, and way back then I remember Carnival use to have Tuxedo and suite rentals available on board. I realize that Formal night is enforced as much as some would like, but is the rental for formal wear still available

28 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

No, they stopped tux rentals in 2005. Carnival also stopped calling it Formal in 2011 and changed it to Elegant night. They still rent suites though 😉 

All cruiselines have stopped doing this, the company that ran the program for the cruiselines went out of business. If you want to dress up you'll have to bring your own suit, otherwise slacks and a shirt will be what the majority of men will be wearing. While I do see men in suits and/or sports jacket, you'll literally be able to count the men in tuxes on one hand. 

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

All cruiselines have stopped doing this, the company that ran the program for the cruiselines went out of business. If you want to dress up you'll have to bring your own suit, otherwise slacks and a shirt will be what the majority of men will be wearing. While I do see men in suits and/or sports jacket, you'll literally be able to count the men in tuxes on one hand. 

Why are you quoting me? It's the OP that asked the question LOL

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Haha 2

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

Why are you quoted me? It's the OP that asked the question LOL

I know you know all this but I'm quoting your post to elaborate your point. The OP will see all comments. 

1 hour ago, Thad409 said:

Carnival use to have Tuxedo rentals available on board. is the rental for formal wear still available

Hi @Thad409🙂

As others already stated, Carnival no longer has tuxedo rentals available. You'll have to rent or purchase prior to your sailing.

Years ago Carnival had a store called 'Formalities' for tuxedo rentals, cakes & sweet treats. That's long gone. Replaced with 'Cherry On Top'.

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

I loved being able to rent a tux for my DH but sadly, no more.  Now he brings two suite when we have two elegant nights like our 8 day Magic cruise last January.  Not sure what we will do for our 10 day Pride cruise out of Rome.  Carry on can only hold so much.

Yep, thanks for all the post, Getting dressed formal for me is usually a nice pair of wranglers a button-down shirt with a tie and a sports jacket. But the DW was wanting to go all out on our upcoming cruise on the Glory.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thad409 said:

Yep, thanks for all the post, Getting dressed formal for me is usually a nice pair of wranglers a button-down shirt with a tie and a sports jacket. But the DW was wanting to go all out on our upcoming cruise on the Glory.

Tell her the food will still taste the same at dinner.   😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I loved being able to rent a tux for my DH but sadly, no more.  Now he brings two suite when we have two elegant nights like our 8 day Magic cruise last January.  Not sure what we will do for our 10 day Pride cruise out of Rome.  Carry on can only hold so much.

Since a suit isn't necessary a pair of slacks with 2 coordinating button shirts is just fine, especially if you're doing Carry-on. 

• Thanks 1

Our first cruise was a 3 dayer in 2000 to the Bahamas from Port Canaveral. We didn't know if we'd like cruising or not so set it up along with a stay at DW.

Anyway, my son was about 12 at that time and he was NOT pleased that we were getting tuxes for me and him. Not pleased at all. At that time, I believed in choices as a parent. I gave him a choice. Stay home with Grandma OR wear the tux (3 hours max), get pictures for mom, then change out and have fun. He reluctantly decided to wear a tux.

Fast forward, we got into our tuxes, had dinner, got our pictures taken. During this time frame, my son figured out that the girls were mighty impressed with a well dressed man. 

The following year, we were planning on another cruise. My son reminded me that we needed to get measured for our tuxes. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Our first cruise was a 3 dayer in 2000 to the Bahamas from Port Canaveral. We didn't know if we'd like cruising or not so set it up along with a stay at DW.

Anyway, my son was about 12 at that time and he was NOT pleased that we were getting tuxes for me and him. Not pleased at all. At that time, I believed in choices as a parent. I gave him a choice. Stay home with Grandma OR wear the tux (3 hours max), get pictures for mom, then change out and have fun. He reluctantly decided to wear a tux.

Fast forward, we got into our tuxes, had dinner, got our pictures taken. During this time frame, my son figured out that the girls were mighty impressed with a well dressed man. 

The following year, we were planning on another cruise. My son reminded me that we needed to get measured for our tuxes. 

That’s awesome! When my boys were 12 and 14, we bought them tuxes. It was cheaper than renting and we were on a seven day with two formal nights with grandma who wanted formal pictures. They LOVED them! Might have had something to do with all the compliments and flattery. 😉

13 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I can so relate!! My son was the same way at the same age... Not thrilled at wearing a tux, but I thought it was important to teach him that all the world is not McDonald's, and that different settings require different dress, manners, etc. And where better than on our cruises to learn that? Still, I got the grumbles from him.

That changed when a couple of girls his age that were also in the teen group onboard with him told him he looked like James Bond and kept batting their eyes at him. He literally wanted to wear his tux to school after that. 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Good thing i need a tux so much and so have my own, and yes i do bring for Elegant nights.

Couldn't agree more! Since retiring I've bought 3 tuxes on Ebay from rental stores. A grey with black velvet lapels and pockets, a "Yankee pinstriped", and a "southwestern style. My wife gets really upset because----two were $25 the other $35---and the owners altered them to my inseam and cuff size included! By the way, yes, the bow ties (Amazon) do have neon lighting! I've walked into dinner several times to applause and laughter. A great way to enjoy retirement!

tux.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Good thing i need a tux so much and so have my own, and yes i do bring for Elegant nights.

Nice! 

When I first started cruising 31 years ago, tuxes were "normal for formal"  and dressing up was part of the fun of cruising.

I worn gowns and heels and the atmosphere was truly elegant on those nights.  The MDR food was fabulous (there were no specialty restaurants) and all was top-notch.

Everything about cruising has changed and I go with the flow but it's still nice to see people dressed up in true formal attire.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:19 AM, chocolate melting cake said:

Couldn't agree more! Since retiring I've bought 3 tuxes on Ebay from rental stores. A grey with black velvet lapels and pockets, a "Yankee pinstriped", and a "southwestern style. My wife gets really upset because----two were $25 the other $35---and the owners altered them to my inseam and cuff size included! By the way, yes, the bow ties (Amazon) do have neon lighting! I've walked into dinner several times to applause and laughter. A great way to enjoy retirement!

tux.jpg

I love the 70s ruffled pink shirt in the first picture.  I remember my dad having one just like that back in the day.

I think what killed Formal Night was when the airlines started charging for baggage.  People didn't want to spend an extra $35-50  for the garment bag for the fancy clothes. I have a tux that will probably never get worn again unless my wife buries me in it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I think what killed Formal Night was when the airlines started charging for baggage.  People didn't want to spend an extra $35-50  for the garment bag for the fancy clothes. I have a tux that will probably never get worn again unless my wife buries me in it.

X2. Those extra baggage fees are per flight, so minimum $100 just so I can bring a suit/tux for two nights dinner when it's NOT mandatory? No thank you. 

On 5/26/2023 at 10:11 AM, kdr69 said:

Same with me.  I have to wear either a Tux or Tails several times a month so no big deal to pack it for a cruise.

My only issue is that I wear them so often it no longer feels "Special."