Using Onboard Credit for Excursions before sailing

vantec

We have onboard credit we hope to use to pre-purchase excursions before our November Cruise.  Our Cruise Consultant says we cannot use the credit until we are on the ship.  Is this true?

Yes. It’s frustrating but they limit use of OBC to purchases only after you board. I’ve heard of others book an excursion beforehand and then cancel/rebook when on the ship, but that may not always work. 

24 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

On Board Credit-- Just exactly that-- Credit to be used once you are on board.

other cruise lines have figure out how to use onboard credit to make purchases for excursions and other things before the cruise and does not need to be used onboard. It would be great if Norwegian update their ancient system and be like other cruise lines

Edited by shof515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

other cruise lines have figure out how to use onboard credit to make purchases for excursions and other things before the cruise and does not need to be used onboard. It would be great if Norwegian update their ancient system and be like other cruise lines

It is by design, not a limitation of the system. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

You can book your tours and offset OBC if you call NCL. You need to get to a supervisor in shore excursions in order to get it done.

We usually sail on Princess, and you can use your onboard credit when pre-purchasing excursions, I expected I could do the same with NCL.  I will try calling a supervisor next week and see how that goes.  Thank you for that suggestion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vantec said:

We have onboard credit we hope to use to pre-purchase excursions before our November Cruise.  Our Cruise Consultant says we cannot use the credit until we are on the ship.  Is this true?

There is your answer!

Lots of inaccurate responses above. We just sailed in April 2023. I am reiterating that we were able to prebook excursions via the telephone and the representative was able to successfully apply OBC. So, it can be done.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 10:38 PM, luv2kroooz said:

Lots of inaccurate responses above. We just sailed in April 2023. I am reiterating that we were able to prebook excursions via the telephone and the representative was able to successfully apply OBC. So, it can be done.

This is exactly what I was trying to do, but was unsuccessful. 

I have the NCL credit card. Every purchase I make earns points. I have enough points for OBC. I wanted to use the OBC for excursions before sailing, but NCL wouldn't do it.

I could only get OBC to use once on board, and by then, it might be too late to get the desired excursions. I now have to pay for excursions and then get a statement credit.

48 minutes ago, cb2367 said:

This is exactly what I was trying to do, but was unsuccessful. 

I have the NCL credit card. Every purchase I make earns points. I have enough points for OBC. I wanted to use the OBC for excursions before sailing, but NCL wouldn't do it.

I could only get OBC to use once on board, and by then, it might be too late to get the desired excursions. I now have to pay for excursions and then get a statement credit.

Sorry to hear this. I was hopeful you would be able to get a supervisor to authorize this, so you could reserve your tours and apply OBC prior to sailing. We had to work our way up through the food chain at NCL to get ours applied. It can be done, you just need to get to the right person....and you probably need some good fortune, too.

I would think that getting your OBC through use of NCL's credit card would be easier to use to pre-book excursion than OBC acquired from any other method.  I'm not familiar with the details of NCL's credit card - is the OBC refundable or non-refundable?  I would guess it si refundable, but... maybe not....

credit card OBC is refundable, however, it doesn’t technically exist until you’re onboard. you order it in advance and it appears in your folio once you board. so there is no OBC against which to charge an advance shorex reservation. now, if they were to allow you to book a shorex reservation without payment, to be consumed by OBC once onboard, that would work. but I don’t think they allow that.

3 hours ago, cb2367 said:

Is there much if a loss using the statement credit versus OBC? 

Edited by phoenix1181
Hit enter in error

2 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

Is there much if a loss using the statement credit versus OBC? 

You potentially gain points by using statement credit because you could get points on expenditures you make onboard.  No additional points if you use OBC.  Why people mess with OBC I don't understand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cb2367 said:

Choose the “cruise discount” instead of OBC, and then once applied to your reservation, book your excursions using that credit balance to pay, as long as you haven’t made final payment yet.