First time booking MSC - 125 nights on other lines - Help ?

Athankfulheart

I would like to take a cruise from the Southeastern US in July. I did the loyalty match, but really need a bit of advice on getting the most out of an MCS cruise starting with booking. I know all there is to know about Carnival and a lot about RC and NCL. I really like the areas that are less peopley so am area like Havana on Carnival would be great if a reasonable deal. Would someone be willing to walk me through this process ? TIA

Tracy 

Edited by Athankfulheart
Typo

• Athankfulheart changed the title to First time booking MSC - 125 nights on other lines - Help ?

Booking MSC is a choice of experiences.  Bella is the entry level and Fantastica is one step up.  Cabin sizes, layouts are the same, just locations differ.  The basic difference is that with Bella, you do not have free delivery of room service.  (The on,y free room service items are continental breakfast).  And with Fantastica, you can request dining time.  Both offer only fixed dining times, seating.

The next category up is Aurea.  Mostly suites, open dining which may be in a different dining room.

Most expensive is the Yacht Club, the ship within a ship concept with limited access, separate dining room and deck areas.  Some compare it to Haven on NCL.

I’m in the minority on this board in that my four cruises have been with the masses not in Yacht Club.  I have another cruise booked for August in an inside cabin, Fantastica.  I don’t find the public areas to be overly crowded.  But I’m an old lady and no longer need a pool or a lot of sun.

Because most cruises that are at least 7 days have a large proportion of non-north American cruisers, the entertainment is mostly musical.  I suggest you sift through this board for threads from those onboard, as they may be posting activity sheets, and menus.

All for me right now.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Athankfulheart said:

.....I really like the areas that are less peopley so am area like Havana on Carnival would be great if a reasonable deal.....

Yacht Club is the way to go, but reasonable deal....not likely!

YC can be very reasonable - and in some cases can net out to less than Aurea when you consider the inclusions and premium YC food - no need for specialties, etc. so "most expensive" not always the case. The real bargain is booking a YC inside - being in the lap of luxury you don't miss the balcony. You can also often upgrade to YC balcony onboard if there's availability for a very reasonable amount. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sbcs5390 said:

YC can be very reasonable - and in some cases can net out to less than Aurea when you consider the inclusions and premium YC food - no need for specialties, etc. so "most expensive" not always the case. The real bargain is booking a YC inside - being in the lap of luxury you don't miss the balcony. You can also often upgrade to YC balcony onboard if there's availability for a very reasonable amount. 

Thank you for the tip and that sometimes upgrades might be available reasonably !

5 hours ago, Athankfulheart said:

Thank you for the tip and that sometimes upgrades might be available reasonably !

Don't ever count on that happening, ships are now sailing at full capacity! 😉

7 hours ago, Athankfulheart said:

We had an inside. It took less than one minute to get to the YC pool deck.  Did not miss the balcony at all.  The cost was less than for an NCL guarantee balcony for the same week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

We had an inside. It took less than one minute to get to the YC pool deck.  Did not miss the balcony at all.  The cost was less than for an NCL guarantee balcony for the same week. 

Seems lately they are catching on and jacking up the prices for a YIN.

Leaving from Brooklyn can still net you a good deal. I am booked on an 11 day cruise from Port Canaveral and a YIN was close to $2900

5 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Seems lately they are catching on and jacking up the prices for a YIN.

Leaving from Brooklyn can still net you a good deal. I am booked on an 11 day cruise from Port Canaveral and a YIN was close to $2900

And that's why I booked almost a year out.  Half of the interiors were already gone!

Interesting.  I’m booked for a 4 night from PC on Seaside in August.  I booked a Fantastica inside gty.  Yesterday I got the invitation to bid on an upgrade.  Options were OV, balcony, Aurea balcony,  Yacht Club inside.  I think they were probably good prices, and I put in minimal bids for all but the regular balcony.  I seldom use the balcony, thus booking an inside.  When I went to try and price current rates for that cruise, I couldn’t find it listed at all.  I have the following 3 day booked also.  Interested to see if I get an invite to bid for that one, too.  EM

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

Don't ever count on that happening, ships are now sailing at full capacity! 😉

Happened 4/22 on Meraviglia and there were plenty. No, you can’t count on it - but I think odds are still good. The ship was otherwise quite full.