Should I bid on an upgrade?

delluser

We are cruising on the Joy (Canada/New England) in September. I received notice to bid on an upgrade today. We have stayed in The Haven once before and loved it. We’ve also sailed regular balcony and been just fine. Our current  room is on deck 12 a Club Balcony Suite. I would only bid on Haven Suite w Balcony (HJ) no other type of room. Minimum offer is $300 pp. Thoughts?

My first thought is: Do you have the $600? (Assuming 2 people in the cabin). 

My second thought is "Is the HJ cabin more than $600 greater than what you paid for the Club Balcony if you booked it direct?"

My third thought is "Are you okay with any HJ cabin location versus the location of the cabin you chose?"

If the answer to all 3 questions is Yes, do the bid.

• Like 2

If you can get it at $600 by all means, go for it! The Johnnie Walker Blue alone over 10 days will pay for that. Heheh.

That said, you have about zero chance to get it at the minimum bid.  Good luck though.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

I come from a slightly different angle.

If there had been a HJ GTY for $600 more would you have booked it?

Yes! It was $1200 more when we reserved our current cabin and that seemed excessive. We bid $610 so we will see what happens. Current cabin is great so no sweat if we don’t get our bid accepted. I successfully got a bid accepted about 7 years ago but it was a different process then. Thanks everyone for your thought provoking input!

• Like 1

We've used the bidding process for the past 4 cruises & are batting .250; one bid for a upgrade to balcony was accepted, the others denied.  So as the old gambler said, 'Youse pays youse money and you take youse chances'...lol

Just remember if $$ is a consideration that if your bid is accepted your CC is immediately charged & you MUST accept the upgrade.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:08 PM, delluser said:

We are cruising on the Joy (Canada/New England) in September. I received notice to bid on an upgrade today. We have stayed in The Haven once before and loved it. We’ve also sailed regular balcony and been just fine. Our current  room is on deck 12 a Club Balcony Suite. I would only bid on Haven Suite w Balcony (HJ) no other type of room. Minimum offer is $300 pp. Thoughts?

Very simple decision and what all of the people on CC Think does not matter at all.

If you want to be in the better class cabin and can afford it go for it.  If you'ld rather spend that money elsewhere don't!

Next...

• Like 2

We had our kids booked in an inside cabin for Alaska cruise.  Upgrade offer made sense for them.  Paid $300 each and upgrade was accepted for a balcony.  We were even able to move their room and ours next to each other in connecting cabins.  Their balcony was $2990 including airfare from Green Bay and the perks.  Ours was $5494 for the same category.  So do you feel lucky?

• Like 1

You gotta be in it to win it. As the sail date gets closer, keep checking prices. It may end up being better to just outright upgrade instead of waiting for the bid if the gap in price closes further.

We've put in full max bids before for the top tier Haven rooms and didn't win them. Lots of factors to consider, but if you're comfortable with the price and it's cheaper than just upgrading on your own, throw your hat in the ring and hope for the best.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:08 PM, delluser said:

Do you WANT to upgrade?
Can you afford an upgrade?

Answer thoSe and there you go.  What others think does not matter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SakeDad said:

I had bid on Spa Balcony on Prima (have midship balcony Deck 9) but after reading so many complaints about loud cabin/creaking noises I canceled it.

We had aft 12 Haven and it was creaky.  Not unable to sleep creaky, but surely never seen before creaky.

• Like 1