ADA (handicap) cabins

Touchy subject. Of course its preferred you save them for those who need them so they dont have to park scooters out in the hallway. That being said I do see where anyone can click and ask for a hc cabin on the mock booking.

It's against the law for them to ask what your handicap is. I've travelled with my hc sister and have even asked for a shower chair in a regular cabin.

This is what their website says:

Our accessible staterooms are designed for guests with mobility disabilities and other disabilities that require the use of the features associated with accessible staterooms. Accessible staterooms range from 159 square feet to 298 square feet, offer a five-foot turning radius in sleeping areas, bathrooms and sitting areas for easy maneuverability. Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form. If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability. Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently.

• Like 1

On the Disabled Forum (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/), several years ago, a poster did comment that they knew someone who had been moved from a disabled cabin. As they did not need the cabin but someone in a wheelchair did.

We need a disabled cabin. On Explorer in 2019 an officer did physical check to see if we needed the cabin. I'm don't know if it happened before, on other sailing, and we never knew about the check or if it was a new policy introduced by RCI or if it was because I when to Guest Services several times to complain about a pushchair been left in the hallway.

18 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

This is what their website says:

Our accessible staterooms are designed for guests with mobility disabilities and other disabilities that require the use of the features associated with accessible staterooms. Accessible staterooms range from 159 square feet to 298 square feet, offer a five-foot turning radius in sleeping areas, bathrooms and sitting areas for easy maneuverability. Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form. If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability. Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently.

And yet they assign them several weeks out to some you have chosen a GTY cabin. 

34 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That probably happens though the frequency may be exaggerated as some able bodied people who picked accessible cabins may claim they were assigned those cabins via gty or RoyalUp to deflect responsibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

They gave us one yrs back, on my protest, even though I am disabled. At that time agent said they open any that aren't booked closer to cruise so we kept it.   I can get along OK without it but we book them half the time and try to just do normal the other half.  For the first time in Sept we'll be taking my new electric wheelchair, but we're in a reg. room.  It's so small and folds up so efficiently, I don't think it will be a problem, we'll just fold it up and bring it inside.