Malta on a Sunday

Our upcoming cruise has us in Malta on a Sunday.  We had not planned an excursion through the cruise line since the island seemed easy enough to navigate on our own.  However, realizing it's a Sunday, I'm concerned about what will and will not be open.  Is it still worthwhile to visit Mdina, or would we be better to head to a beach location?  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

The first two times I arrived at Malta on a cruise were Sundays. You cannot visit the co-Cathedral in Valletta on a Sunday. The Grandmaster's Palace is usually open but at the moment they are doing some restoration works, so I would double-check what is actually available there. The Tarxien temples (dating from the Stone Age) are also open on Sundays, as is the small but interesting archaeological museum right in the center of Valletta.

As for Mdina, I went on a Sunday morning, early, and little was open at first, but I enjoyed walking around the almost eerily-deserted streets and looking at all the interesting architecture (and especially the ornate and individual door knockers on the houses). Around noon, stores and restaurants began opening up. I stayed for maybe another hour after that -- not sure that everything was open, but enough to occupy yourselves with. There is also an excavated Roman villa just outside the main entrance to Mdina (on the left as you are facing the gate); most people miss it.

It would be hard to imagine missing Valletta and Mdina (and other sites in Malta) in favor of a beach day, but then I am not one who goes to Europe to visit beaches so perhaps not the best person to give advice....

• Thanks 1

We have visited several times but not on a Sunday.  Having said that, the following will still apply.

You will actually have a spectacular sail-in to Valletta and out again  too, as you arrive and depart the Grand Harbour. If this your first visit, be out on deck early to enjoy it to the max. I would rank this arrival as  one of our top 3 favourites but others may disagree.So spectacular is it, that boat tours of the Grand Harbour are offered locally, but you will experience most of it from your cruise ship for free.

For magnificent views of the Grand Harbour from on high, take a right as you exit the port, walk along until you see the entrance to the lift on the opposite side, take the lift up (was 1euro pp, free to come down) to the Baarrakka Gardens at street level. There will be internet reviews of the gardens. The views really are magnificent .  Exiting the gardens you will already be in the heart of the city and can stroll around with much to see along the way as this city is very historic and in addition to historical features there are a number of viewpoints of areas  which are different from the views from B gardens.Check opening times of any site/sight you want to visit but the Grand Masterr's Palace should be open.

You could also take either a public bus or a taxi the fairly short ride to Marsaxlokk, a pretty fishing village with wonderfully coloured fishing boats, and one of the most famous villages on Malta.  There will be images and info online to tempt you.There is a  smaller craft market around the port most days, which we have seen, but on Sundays my understanding is that there is a much larger market with a variety of fish, fruit, veg and other non food items.  You could check online for info.

Spending time in the gardens, exploring the city and visiting Marsaxlokk should give you a full day of diverse sighseeing without needing to leave the city.  Decide what you would like to visit in Valletta and check opening hours.

BTW, Malta isn't reknown for its beaches with the better ones  to be found on the islands of Gozo and Comino although I believe there may be a few on the north side of the island, but you could internet search for any closer to Valetta..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The co-cathedral is closed to tourists on Sundays.  However, it is open for Mass.  You can go in to attend services, sit on the pew rspectfully and admire the building. Don't take any photos.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help.  Great suggestions.  I should have been more succinct in my question -- by "beach location", I meant one of the coastal villages, as opposed to Mdina.

I agreed with Cruisemom, that a beach day is not a particularly good use of one's time if only there for a day.  Marazul's advice about going to a Sunday Mass (even if not a Catholic) at the co-cathdral is a terrific idea, but folks should dress appropriately/respectfully.  It is one of those "don't miss" places for a first time visit.  In fact, going to a morning mass and later taking the bus (or a taxi) over to Mdina would make for a nice day and be a good solution for the later Sunday opening times.  There are plenty of places where you can get lunch in Mdina.  The first time we visited, we were guided by friends (locals) who took us to Mdina where we went to a cafe that was located on the city walls (at the far end of Mdina from the entrance).  Not only did we enjoy coffee, but the views over the countryside were excellent.  

Hank

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We were just in Malta two weeks ago. What an incredible place. To echo others, do not miss the sail in. Get out on deck early. It is surreal and stamp to memory. 
We took a cab to Mdina. Amazing place - the history and architecture. We weren’t there on a Sunday, but I believe it would be worth going just to experience walking the streets and soaking up the surroundings of the ancient history. 
We were able to visit both St Paul’s in Mdina and St John’s in Valletta. Both I would say are in the top 10 we have visited in Europe. The architecture, the art (a room filled with Caravaggio in St John’s), the immensity of these is jaw dropping. We purchased tickets ahead online for that day. Maybe you could see if that is available for your date after services. 
We also visited the archeological museum in Valletta. Wrap your brain around seeing artifacts, in very good condition, from 4500bc. There were several dig sites of ancient cities included from various ancient times. It was an interesting museum that we enjoyed. 
I hope to have the opportunity to return. So much to see. Even though we had a full day and late night, you can only scratch the surface. 

• Thanks 2