Arvia Pre-Booking Dining and Entertainment

bee-ess

But are people complaining about the app on Britannia and Azura

Or only on Arvia and Iona?

Because surely it's the exact same app?

And getting tables on those ships for specialities didn't work for me. Admittedly I was less experienced then.

Queues and problems getting in theatres for Azura was way worse for me 

Brittania staycation we had the app for that and was way better for me than  without theatre booking with the app on Azura. You definitely couldn't pre-book theatre on Azura back then and it was worse for us as a result

Definitely remember that

We were on Xmas and New Year cruises. Big queues for theatres and shut out of at least  one show despite arriving well before the start

And had to arrive really early to get seats. Even bad seats you had to be really early just to get in

And I've nothing against Azura or Britannia would happily use them both again with app booking for theatre in place

Will seriously miss not having 710 club and headliner theatre shows though

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

6 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Never done the Epicurean or Sindhu back then I just remember turning up the Glass House or Beach house and being allocated a table never was turned away. 

GlassHouse you mostly had to get pagers on the smaller ships. Can't remember what we did on  Arvia. Didn't try on Iona

Thinking back I'm sure we just used the app for GlassHouse same as the rest on Arvia? 

Can't remember having to use a pager?

Definitely had to use pager on the smaller ships. 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

But are people complaining about the app on Britannia and Azura

Or only on Arvia and Iona?

Because surely it's the exact same app?

And getting tables on those ships for specialities didn't work for me. Admittedly I was less experienced then.

Queues and problems getting in theatres for Azura was way worse for me 

Brittania staycation we had the app for that and was way better for me than  without theatre booking with the app on Azura. You definitely couldn't e-book theatre on Azura and it was worse for us as a result

Definitely remember that

And I've nothing against Azura or Britannia would happily use them both again with app booking for theatre in place

Will seriously miss not having 710 club and headliner theatre shows though

Honestly the app from what I know does not need to be used on Azura unless people want to book speciality restaurants or avoid waiting for a table in the MDR, entertainment does not need to be booked anymore till they reintroduce it (If they do). You can just turn up at the MDR now and be given a pager if a table or the table you want is not ready and if you are given a pager they ask you on the return just to go in the my holiday app line to by pass the queue for walk ins, never saw long queues to be honest just more people being given pagers like the times before the pandemic. 

People did queue like 10 minutes before the doors opened to the Playhouse Theatre and once in they would end up waiting half hour for the show to start, easy enough to turn up 10 minutes before the show started plenty of seats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

GlassHouse you mostly had to get pagers on the smaller ships. Can't remember what we did on  Arvia

I tried Glass House yesterday. Joined app queue at 1.00pm two people in queue. 1.50 stil two people. I was sitting in the place about 14 people actually eating, loads just sitting. No waiters for food or drink in sight.  Put myself out of queue at 2.10pm. Ate elsewhere. Lack of staff seems likely cause.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Day one of the cruise?

Or day one of being able to book online?

(I know what the answer will be already)

I personally do not like this attitude being shown to others who do not share your view of a P&O cruise, nor the fact you don't appear to accept that the ships change from cruise to cruise as does the entire experience. This is resulting in those feeling they have to constantly repeat themselves in order to be understood and taken seriously. They are being challenged, judged, and faced with attempts of disproving their experiences as well as accusations of scaremongering. 

Everyone else has appreciated the views of your cruise experience even if it has differed to theirs; has said that's great for you; has been pleased that it has all gone so well and asked questions to gain advice. However in reverse others are not getting the same response 

Just to add, as an example of how experiences can change - may I remind you that it was only a few weeks ago where you yourself suggested the buffet was far superior to the MDR on Arvia (and Iona) and that the MDR was providing "buffet entry food" which could easily have mislead others on here as you didn't actually use the MDR on Arvia. When asked, you said that you had tried enough MDRs to know the level of food provided. You even suggested that those who said the two were not comparable of their offering were being disrespectful to the buffet, and encouraged anyone on Iona and Arvia to try the buffet and they will see what you mean (and that they would have to book speciality if they wanted superior food).... Yet on this cruise, you ate in the MDR and have highly rated it (above the buffet). A very different view altogether. 

These boards have always been a source of great advice and support. Anyone can use them to share the good and the bad of their cruise from booking to sailing, and should be able to without being challenged in this way.

That is why it is called cruise critic.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

GlassHouse you mostly had to get pagers on the smaller ships. Can't remember what we did on  Arvia. Didn't try on Iona

Thinking back I'm sure we just used the app for GlassHouse same as the rest on Arvia? 

Can't remember having to use a pager?

Definitely had to use pager on the smaller ships. 

Don't remember any pagers being given out for the Glasshouse in March or even October last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

Honestly the app from what I know does not need to be used on Azura unless people want to book speciality restaurants or avoid waiting for a table in the MDR, entertainment does not need to be booked anymore till they reintroduce it (If they do). You can just turn up at the MDR now and be given a pager if a table or the table you want is not ready and if you are given a pager they ask you on the return just to go in the my holiday app line to by pass the queue for walk ins, never saw long queues to be honest just more people being given pagers like the times before the pandemic. 

People did queue like 10 minutes before the doors opened to the Playhouse Theatre and once in they would end up waiting half hour for the show to start, easy enough to turn up 10 minutes before the show started plenty of seats.

That wasn't my experience of the theatre on Azura. We had to turn up very close to opening time to get seats together. We were a family of 4 then. Then hang around for approaching 30 mins with 2 bored  kids waiting for the show to start. 

Remember we had front row for Roy Walker on Azura. It was all we could get 

On azura do people not complain about not being able to book speciality restaurants then?

They only complain about it on Arvia and Iona?

It's almost like the app was only brought in by Arvia and Iona and they are the bad guys?

I 100 per cent couldn't get bookings when we were on. But I wasn't on here back then to know any better or complain to anyone?

And that's at least 8 years ago?

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Do people avoid Azura and Britannia for being bigger ships and needing the app (similar for Arvia and Iona)?

Or do the even smaller ships also use the app now?

They have Sindhu and GlassHouse but no Epicurean? Is that correct?

Azura and Britannia I would class has medium sized ships now compared to Iona and Arvia. I wouldn't say avoid them just Iona and Arvia are now more for the family's with what they have to offer.  

Guest ccpm
1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I did not have any pre booking discount, just my Peninsular one.  I booked 2 Epicurean, 2 Limelight, one Beach House and 2 Green & Co.  If there is another one I was unaware of it.

Its £28 pp on board and £24 booking ahead plus your Peninsular discount. Similar to the drinks package

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well I will just add that the opening poster themselves who claimed that all 8 bookings were now sold out when questioned

Has now confirmed that's not  the case

So should the thread be closed or deleted?

As it was false alarm?

I take offence to this post

I have never said that anything was Sold Out - I said that they were not available when I got up and that was 100% True.

I confirmed nothing - I said that more timeslots came up in the afternoon

The purpose of my original post was to describe my experience, not to cause alarm.

Who are you to ask if the post should be deleted or closed as a false alarm, that implies that I have deliberately spread false information.

I find your attitude of 'correcting me' and 'advising me' in other posts equally offensive and condescending.

You have set yourself up as the font of knowledge as far as Arvia is concerned and woe betide anyone who has a different opinion

Please do not refer to my posts anymore

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 5

Guest ccpm
2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks, I'd no idea it was discounted!

You're welcome. This for me is why I do want to get booked as soon as I can and definitely before I board if possible.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That wasn't my experience of the theatre on Azura. We had to turn up very close to opening time to get seats together. We were a family of 4 then. Then hang around for approaching 30 mins with 2 bored  kids waiting for the show to start. 

Remember we had front row for Roy Walker on Azura. It was all we could get 

On azura do people not complain about not being able to book speciality restaurants then?

They only complain about it on Arvia and Iona?

It's almost like the app was only brought in by Arvia and Iona and they are the bad guys?

I 100 per cent couldn't get bookings when we were on. But I wasn't on here back then to know any better or complain to anyone?

And that's at least 8 years ago?

Can say over the two ships we have been on with P&O never had a problem getting seats mind you we go to the 10:30PM show every time and sit near the front. Even the signature acts that were on theatre became was pretty full but enough seats to be sat together.

5 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I personally do not like this attitude being shown to others who do not share your view of a P&O cruise, nor the fact you don't appear to accept that the ships change from cruise to cruise as does the entire experience. This is resulting in those feeling they have to constantly repeat themselves in order to be understood and taken seriously. They are being challenged, judged, and faced with attempts of disproving their experiences as well as accusations of scaremongering. 

Everyone else has appreciated the views of your cruise experience even if it has differed to theirs; has said that's great for you; has been pleased that it has all gone so well and asked questions to gain advice. However in reverse others are not getting the same response 

Just to add, as an example of how experiences can change - may I remind you that it was only a few weeks ago where you yourself suggested the buffet was far superior to the MDR on Arvia (and Iona) and that the MDR was providing "buffet entry food" which could easily have mislead others on here as you didn't actually use the MDR on Arvia. When asked, you said that you had tried enough MDRs to know the level of food provided. You even suggested that those who said the two were not comparable of their offering were being disrespectful to the buffet, and encouraged anyone on Iona and Arvia to try the buffet and they will see what you mean (and that they would have to book speciality if they wanted superior food).... Yet on this cruise, you ate in the MDR and have highly rated it (above the buffet). A very different view altogether. 

These boards have always been a source of great advice and support. Anyone can use them to share the good and the bad of their cruise from booking to sailing, and should be able to without being challenged in this way.

That is why it is called cruise critic.

I honestly believe scaremongering goes on in this forum 

I don't know why it happens but it  happens. That's my very honest opinion

Am I supposed to pretend differently?

In everything I do in life - I say what I genuinely believe and then always will back up what I believe with my personal experience. 

I've changed my mind about MDR and buffet and backed up why. People change their minds about stuff all the time 

If I think others genuinely are the scaremongering then I question them and if they can back it up then I acknowledge they were right

Nobody in this thread backed up what I thought was scaremongering and instead confirmed they were mistaken and/or changed the argument 

Bringing 710 club into the thread. Is the perfect example.  It's not even possible to book it at midnight.

That's not opinion, it's not being a critic. It's not being positive, enthusiastic or negative.

It's just plain fact. 

I normally get in no problem on any cruise. Only ones I've ever booked were on Allure of the Seas and last two weeks on Arvia.  I don't do late nights, always the early shows or in Arvia's case middle.  Saturday evening saw around 40 people turfed away from the Take That sho, feltvsory for them.

5 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Can say over the two ships we have been on with P&O never had a problem getting seats mind you we go to the 10:30PM show every time and sit near the front. Even the signature acts that were on theatre became was pretty full but enough seats to be sat together.

We've always done 8.30pm. Until very  last show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I normally get in no problem on any cruise. Only ones I've ever booked were on Allure of the Seas and last two weeks on Arvia.  I don't do late nights, always the early shows or in Arvia's case middle.  Saturday evening saw around 40 people turfed away from the Take That sho, feltvsory for them.

Had they booked spaces?

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I think this thread, like many, illustrates the two extremes.  Both represent the main protagonists experiences, but both only apply to the cruise they were on.  So, I agree that it is scaremongering to extrapolate from one cruise and advise future cruisers that they have to be on the app at midnight on launch day if they expect to book any dining or entertainment.  And, if you extrapolate that from one person's experience it would serve no point anyway because, according to that same person's experience, the app will fail on board and lose all your bookings anyway!  But, I also agree that it is joymongering (if that is the opposite of scaremongering)  to extrapolate advice from one particular cruise that the poster thought was almost perfect in all respects and conclude that all future cruisers on that ship will have the same experience.

No doubt, the truth will be somewhere mid-way between the 2.  But, the fact that there are reportedly such big variances in experiences suggest that it will be difficult to ask for or receive any reliable advice. I would advocate the counsel given many times on the other thread - always seek as wide as possible a range of reviews / opinions on the same line / ship before making any important decisions.

‘Joymongering’

I will be borrowing that word 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I did not have any pre booking discount, just my Peninsular one.  I booked 2 Epicurean, 2 Limelight, one Beach House and 2 Green & Co.  If there is another one I was unaware of it.

When we arrive in Barbados on the Friday  we will book stuff that we couldn't in advance. If it's full up when the Saturday folk arrive, I promise not to gloat.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I honestly believe scaremongering goes on in this forum 

I don't know why it happens but it  happens. That's my very honest opinion

Am I supposed to pretend differently?

In everything I do in life - I say what I genuinely believe and then always will back up what I believe with my personal experience. 

I've changed my mind about MDR and buffet and backed up why. People change their minds about stuff all the time 

If I think others genuinely are the scaremongering then I question them and if they can back it up then I acknowledge they were right

Nobody in this thread backed up what I thought was scaremongering and instead confirmed they were mistaken and/or changed the argument 

Bringing 710 club into the thread. Is the perfect example.  It's not even possible to book it at midnight.

That's not opinion, it's not being a critic. It's not being positive, enthusiastic or negative.

It's just plain fact. 

Nobody said you could book 710 club at midnight, that's you twisting words. I said if you want it book it immediately, same with entertainment unless you want 10.30pm.  In fact I've taken screenshots of my app for every day to discuss with P&O on the app situation. For 10 out of 14 nights it shows not one item of entertainment available. These were taken at 9.30am every day. Of course it could be wrong, that's my discussion and also about an app not linked to other departments on tyecdhip such as the spa.  They give you an electronic "diary" with half your bookings missing! Not exactly state of the art for a ship relying totally on IT.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

When we arrive in Barbados on the Friday  we will book stuff that we couldn't in advance. If it's full up when the Saturday folk arrive, I promise not to gloat.

Yes, it always  was. Last year the released most stuff on the Friday. I'm arriving Saturday in January and expect zilch!