My View: Trading Seascape for Seaside Semi-Live

APDMOM

On 6/13/2023 at 8:02 AM, LMaxwell said:

Unfortunately, the 4 day experience is pretty typical across all cruise lines because it doesn't take a lot of time or money, and for 4 days people aren't looking for adventurous travel but just a fun getaway.

This is spot on. Longer cruises of a week or more avoid this clientele, as you experienced on the first leg of your sailing. You could take a 4 day cruise on Holland America and run into this as well. It isnt so much as 'the party crowd has found MSC" as much as it is MSC doing short cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

This is spot on. Longer cruises of a week or more avoid this clientele, as you experienced on the first leg of your sailing. You could take a 4 day cruise on Holland America and run into this as well. It isnt so much as 'the party crowd has found MSC" as much as it is MSC doing short cruises.

I did a 5 day on HAL and it was, no kidding, the biggest party bunch I experience in 30 years.  Women outnumbered men 3:1 and they were there to compete! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, APDMOM said:

"Muster Drill"

The MSC post-COVID muster drill is fantastic! It is more like a stroll than a drill.  You watch a video on your stateroom TV, then dial a specific number from your stateroom to confirm you watched the video.  

After this, you walk down to your muster station, get your card scanned, and you are done.  The only thing is that you have to wait for everyone to complete the process.  We just sat in a lounge to 'wait it out'.  Unfortunately, I had an asthma coughing spell that had the tears rolling down my cheeks 😳 

Do you have to wait in the lounge till everyone completes the process? If that’s the case, I can see why people would want to show up last so they don’t have to wait on others. Can you please explain the process a little more? Is there a time limit by when you have to complete it? Can you go about the ship and then check in at the last possible time to complete it? 

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do you have to wait in the lounge till everyone completes the process? If that’s the case, I can see why people would want to show up last so they don’t have to wait on others. Can you please explain the process a little more? Is there a time limit by when you have to complete it? Can you go about the ship and then check in at the last possible time to complete it? 

It’s been explained in a number of Live from threads.  The video runs all day in your stateroom.  You are supposed to watch it and then dial the number at the end to certify you watched it, then go to your muster station to have your card screened.  But I never saw the code.  They come on the intercom and say at a particular time to watch the video, call the number and then go to your muster station.  If you go early, there is no one there to scan your card.  EM

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:21 AM, APDMOM said:

Seascape vs. Seaside - Buffet

We find that the variety of food in the buffet on Seascape was better.  There were more curry dishes.  You could also get different varieties of Eggs Benedict in the Seascape buffet every day.  On Seaside, Eggs Benedict is only available in the main diningroom for breakfast. Seaside still has enough variety, just not as good as Seascape.  I do find I have to add salt to some dishes on this ship.  

Is the food overall not very salty? The food on Royal is salty to me and I like some salt. It sure would be a nice change for me.

On 6/7/2023 at 1:22 AM, PompeySailor said:

Never gets old that view 😎

I have heard that whole strip will become a Royal Caribbean beach club by 2025 🏖 

Kind of sad.

5 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Is the food overall not very salty? The food on Royal is salty to me and I like some salt. It sure would be a nice change for me.

Kind of sad.

Renee 

I see you have gone over to the dark side - Do I see a shiny MSC clutch in the near future 

You do know who I am - don’t you 🍹

@ReneeFLL

Edited by PompeySailor

On 6/8/2023 at 1:50 AM, APDMOM said:

Ocean Cay Excursions:

TIP: If you don't want to risk renting and umbrella or booking a kayak, etc. on Ocean Cay, you can do it the day of the visit on the island.  

Do they not have free umbrellas and loungers?

On 6/13/2023 at 2:03 AM, APDMOM said:

The End of MSC for us:

…I would rather save longer to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise now that MSC quality has gone downhill while pricing is increasing.

Royal has also gone down in all the aspects and not just a little. A lot of the prices have gotten unbelievably high. That’s why I’m here looking to learn about MSC and book a cruise. If you’re on a bigger ship there are kids galore with their theme park ships.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Renee 

I see you have gone over to the dark side - Do I see a shiny MSC clutch in the near future 

You do know who I am - don’t you 🍹

@ReneeFLL

Possibly on the clutch. Royal has gotten crazy so I’m looking elsewhere. I definitely know who you are. 😉 Mike and I enjoyed meeting you and your family in March.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 1:44 AM, First time cruiser 77 said:

Hi ya just want ask can you drink and eat round pool area in seascape? Plus is  the seascape worth booking. First time cruiser planning do caribbean cruise with my friend next year. 

I would say Seascape is worth booking if you do the 7-day cruise. There are bars all around the pools, so drinks are allowed - just not in the pool itself.  Yes, you can also bring food to your lounger around the pool. 🙂

On 9/2/2023 at 5:39 AM, ReneeFLL said:

Do they not have free umbrellas and loungers?

Royal has also gone down in all the aspects and not just a little. A lot of the prices have gotten unbelievably high. That’s why I’m here looking to learn about MSC and book a cruise. If you’re on a bigger ship there are kids galore with their theme park ships.

They do have free loungers, yes.  Umbrellas are not free, except for a few at Lighthouse Bay.  To get those free umbrellas, you have to get off the ship early… first come, first serve.

We will be on Symphony in November, so I am interested in seeing how RCL compares to our previous experiences. 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, ReneeFLL said:

I am sorry that was not clear - the part about waiting in the lounge is that it is hard to get back to your cabin because you would have to go against traffic on the stairs, which were very crowded.  The other thing is that we had early dining and they opened the dining room late due to people not completing their muster dril l(or the system not registering, as we learned could happen).  All bars and dining areas are closed until after the drill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, APDMOM said:

They do have free loungers, yes.  Umbrellas are not free, except for a few at Lighthouse Bay.  To get those free umbrellas, you have to get off the ship early… first come, first serve.

We will be on Symphony in November, so I am interested in seeing how RCL compares to our previous experiences. 🙂

Mats and umbrellas:

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

On 9/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, APDMOM said:

Thanks for the info.

On 9/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, Essiesmom said:

Mats and umbrellas:

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

Thanks for the info. It sucks you have to pay for an umbrella since we would only use it for about an hour or so. We wouldn’t be on the island very long.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. It sucks you have to pay for an umbrella since we would only use it for about an hour or so. We wouldn’t be on the island very long.

There is plenty of shade on the island.  We just pull a couple of loungers up to a palm tree on the beach - especially at North Beach and Bimini beach.  🙂

On 9/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks for the info.

@ReneeFLL Since I am visual, thought I would post this - maybe helpful to clarify.

Free umbrellas, wooden beach chairs, and adirondack on Lighthouse Bay beach (First come, first serve):

IMG_5935.thumb.JPG.d3f83dfabd9d3217c0e96454a193997a.JPG

IMG_5906.thumb.JPG.bea10d6f797fd8e33a96c015a56f2731.JPG

Palm trees with free loungers on Bimini Beach:

IMG_2518.thumb.jpg.6848e7b9638145a52cfa302ccd99dc3b.jpg