Regular Joe in The Haven

nitecapt

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Frankly, I’ve met more than my fair share of fellow Haven sailors who insisted on telling me how successful and well off they are.  That usually tells me they’re neither!

I only sail in the Haven when I can score a deal.  Fact of the matter is, of I can’t find a fare at the bottom of the price curve, for any cruise, on any cruise line, in any cabin, I’m not cruising!  😉

Yup. People ask me “Bird, why are you always sail the same Caribbean itineraries from Miami?” The answer is the cruises are cheap(er) and getting to Miami is cheap. And yes, we’ll “splurge” on a Haven room once a year or so. 

Last Haven cruise it was the NCL “Senior” Personal Cruise Consultant bragging how he had worked for NCL for 6 years and got promoted to be a Senior. But this was the first cruise he had ever been on and he was anxious to see and learn about everything his clients keep talking about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbcallender said:

The big problem with the Haven is that it's really hard to go back! 

I'm in the other camp, firmly of the opinion that it's easy to stop doing the Haven, purely on cost/benefit reasons.  About 3 cruises ago, we stopped with the Haven altogether as not being worth it, but that's only our opinion of course.

The only thing we somewhat miss is the Haven restaurant, but there's always food somewhere else...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There are no “upper echelon”. Just Average Janes and Joes. Just like an airplane. Almost all Average Janes in first class, but willing to spend more money to be comfortable. It is totally NOT like the titanic, if they is what you are worried about. Short and a polo shirt are fine for the Haven restaurant. 

Enjoy. We can afford to sail in the Haven once a year. The rest of the year (5ish cruises) in steerage. 

We always fly first class and we are an average Joe and Jane. My husband has orthopedic problems where a larger seat is important for him not to be in pain and I don't like the closed in feeling of sitting in the back. So we wait for a sale and then buy tickets. I have bought first class tickets for only $150 more per ticket than regular coach. Totally worth checking each day because the fares fluctuate.

• Like 1

When I flew a lot for work, the airlines would routinely upgrade me to Business and/or 1st class.  This was before “economy plus” was a thing.  That category only exists as a way to extract more money so you don’t have to be totally uncomfortable in their thinly padded, narrow, nearly aisle less seats.

Now, the difference between economy (and plus) is thousands of dollars.  They don’t upgrade me anymore because I went from flying 130,000 miles/year to flying 30,000 miles (if that).

For me, maximizing the Haven’s “worth” would be on a longer cruise (over 6 days) where I’d take good advantage of the Concierge to do my planning for me.  But, I also will not spend more than $5K after discounts.  Still, that’s over $350/day.  Is the food, the service, the drinks, the Haven proper (away from the crowds) etc worth that premium?  Each individual needs to answer that.  

I’m past the point of justifying cruising…..PERIOD!  Some of my friends don’t get it.  They’d rather drive or fly to a resort, pay $350/nite for a nice hotel….and then spend another $200/day in drinks and food….and still be in the same place.  They like that.  I like being on the move.

I will say, the best service I’ve ever experienced, the best drinks I’ve ever had, some (not all) of the best food I’ve ever had, some (not all) of the best entertainment I’ve ever experienced, etc, has been sailing in NCL’s Haven.  If that makes me happy, I guess I’m an easy to please “regular Joe”.

The flip side, if I spent $7K, $8K, $10K or more for the Haven, as I’ve seen some posting here, I’d reassess my desire to sail in the Haven.  Last year, I found a 7 day cruise on an Away ship, going to the same Caribbean ports I’ve sailed several times, in a Club Balcony, for $600 and change.  That included FAS.  I can say I had a better time regaling myself in my “deal” sniffing prowess as I would have had spending $5K for the Haven on the same cruise.

• Like 2

Hello All, I love the Haven and studied it for a long while.  To have a bad experience at any part of a cruise vacation is a norm.  Nothing is exactly the same.  The Haven is no different.  However it is rare and happens infrequently.  

Common sense tells use, mostly Average Joe's and Jane's go in the Haven.  NOT folks that really want everyone to know how rich and powerful they are.  These folks might have millions of dollars and other that are buying their trip over time.  I look at it as if you are RVing.  Some drive in with a tour bus and other have a pop-up.  Both are cooking hot dogs for dinner right next to each other.  

As most of you know, I write and post all the time about the Haven.  I have had so great Haven Adventures.  Yet I have not cruised the haven recently.  Instead, I my Next cruise is with NCL's sister line Oceania for a 10-day Mediterranean Cruise.  Sometimes we want all the fun, excitement and craziness of a mega ship and other we want just lots of times in a port.  We pick and choose our likes for the vacation experience we want. 

This OP will have a great time with his family if he gives up being upset on how he ended up in the NCL Haven.  We can't help him on this nor is he asking.  We can let him know, regardless of the price, he will have a very nice time.  Simple as that. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment..

• Like 1

I don’t think giving cruisers the impression that regular Joe’s are sailing in the Haven is fair. A regular Joe is not spending $8,000 for a 5 day vacation. That’s $1600 a day in just accommodations. Do you think a family earning the average income is spending that kind of cash?

The people we met on our Med cruise last summer in the Haven were not your average middle class family, they were lining up at the Louis Vuitton store to buy hand bags at our stop in Cannes. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

The people we met on our Med cruise last summer in the Haven were not your average middle class family, they were lining up at the Louis Vuitton store to buy hand bags at our stop in Cannes. 

LV is solidly middle class/upper middle class. The upper class doesn't "line up" at Louis Vuitton on holiday. LV has multiple bags around $1000, which become cheaper with the VAT rebate (assuming the "not your average middle class family" lives outside of the EU).

Edited by ExpatBride
  • Like 2

Just now, JustAPilot said:

I don’t think giving cruisers the impression that regular Joe’s are sailing in the Haven is fair. A regular Joe is not spending $8,000 for a 5 day vacation. That’s $1600 a day in just accommodations. Do you think a family earning the average income is spending that kind of cash?

You are using a purse to establish how someone acts and reacts.  The term Average Joe or Jane used in this stream is based on Attitude, not bank account.  The Haven guest could have saved up for a long time to have the experience or did a lucky upgrade bid.  They also could have bought the suite full prices.  How they carry themselves not the material things they bring on board is the real rating of Nose in the Air or not.  

My wife and I started our cruise experience 44 years ago in an bulk bed inside cabin.  We had no money but just wanted to take our first real vacation.  30 cruise fast forward, we now fly to the cruise in 1st class, stay in suites and upgrade our drink program.  When folks met me all I say is, "Isn't this experience wonderful."  I don't follow that nor have I met folks that follow that with "Have you seen my Rolex Presidential with diamonds".

The blogging on the Haven will go on for ever.  It is very, very expensive.  Is it worth it, probably not. It depends on your situation.  Regardless, you will enjoy your cruise either way. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hope our fear haven friend gets on board and just enjoys himself. Also, please come back and let us know how the adventure turned out.

It really is at the no turning back point....so just go and enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

One time while staying in the Haven, we went on a small group sailing excursion set up by a fellow CC-er.  We met a lovely, fun family of 4 that we hadn't seen before and had a great time.  All "Average Joes" enjoying new regular people.

A day later, we ran into each other at the Haven pool, smiled and simultaneously said "We didn't think you were "Haven people" " to each other!  It was a funny reminder that you can't and shouldn't judge books by their covers.  (Keeping in mind how few people read physical books these days, haha.)

We're regular Joe's who live very ordinary, hard working lives at home.  We just love to stay in the Haven or suite cabins when we can get good discounts and what passes for a "reasonable" price these days because it helps make our vacation memories even more special. 

Have we met snobs in the Haven?  Extremely rarely.  Have we met some uncouth low-lives there?  You betcha... but fortunately, also very rarely!  🙂 

Can you have a really great and memorable vacation at a lower price point than the Haven and suites on NCL?  Definitely!  Can staying in the Haven make a trip extra special?  Absolutely.     

Hope the OP can find things that make his trip wonderful despite the obstacles.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, jbcallender said:

The big problem with the Haven is that it's really hard to go back!  

19 hours ago, JGmf said:

I'm in the other camp, firmly of the opinion that it's easy to stop doing the Haven, purely on cost/benefit reasons.  About 3 cruises ago, we stopped with the Haven altogether as not being worth it, but that's only our opinion of course.

The only thing we somewhat miss is the Haven restaurant, but there's always food somewhere else...

We too have no problem going back to a non-Haven cabin and will be doing so again in August.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, schmoopie17 said:

I'm with you on the Haven issue. Give me a balcony and a drink (actually, several) and I'm a happy camper...er, cruiser.

Although, it would be nice to have the Haven experience just once, so if something bad happens in the cabin while we're out, I'll be able to say, "The butler did it".

I drink 15-20 servings starting with a few morning (7am) glasses of champagne and finishing with scotch around 12-1 am; so, I can simply sleep outside above the pool deck in peace even on Regent, Ponant, Seabourn, and alike.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I drink 15-20 servings starting with a few morning (7am) glasses of champagne and finishing with scotch around 12-1 am; so, I can simply sleep outside above the pool deck in peace even on Regent, Ponant, Seabourn, and alike.

😳

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, nitecapt said:

WOW...that's quite a total. If I have one Manhattan a month it's a lot. I would like to sleep on a deck like you mention. Sounds like fun.

It is a really fun, especially, in Caribbean or South Pacific waters!  I shall also try it in Indian Ocean on my cruise in December 2024 from Cape Town to Dubai.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We too have no problem going back to a non-Haven cabin and will be doing so again in August.   

To each his own.  That's the great thing about cruising.  You can do your thing and I can do mine on the same ship!

We build these things into something they aren't. Everyone in Haven is an average Joe from many diverse areas of life. None better than the other, so relax, and enjoy the heck out of the experience with an ice cold beer without a glass.... ;)

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 11:13 AM, nhtravels said:

@nitecapt  Just a suggestion for you (FWIW).  If you are sailing on the Joy, there are a few cabins that are not in the "Haven Proper" that provide access to the Haven, but are less $$ than the Haven Courtyard Penthouse.  You may want to consider any of the HH, HI or HG suites.  They truly are the best of both worlds.  

On 5/30/2023 at 11:38 AM, Sthrngary said:

Please clarify.  I think I missed something.  You are in a solo cabin in the Haven?  Your wife is not joining you?  That is important information I might have missed. Confirm one way or another and I can walk you through the rest.  Deal.

On 5/30/2023 at 12:17 PM, Monica887 said:

It sounds like you don't want to go on this trip. Is it because it's with the step kids? Is it because it's too expensive? Is it because it doesn't sound enjoyable? 

If you can afford it,  go for it. You will find a quiet space and enjoy your time. You don't need butler things and upgrades, but there's no reason to not enjoy the quiet Haven decks, better food, and easy boarding. 

If, separate from the cost, you just have no desire to go on the trip, and it won't negatively affect your relationship, skip it. 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:03 AM, laudergayle said:

If you bought NCL Booksafe insurance and you cancel for no covered reason you could, after a lengthy process, get a future cruise credit that could be used on several cruises in the future. Credit of either 75-100% based on what coverage you purchased minus cost of insurance.

however, that probably isn’t the best choice for you as it 1) you will have still paid the $7800 now, 2) you don’t seem to be a “lover of cruising” — understandable considering your time spent previously as a captain, 3) DH will likely be very unhappy if you cancel.

so, IMO, here’s the choice “you” have to make:

1) go and find that very expensive lounger, and soak up the quiet time in the Haven (as the rest of the ship will be hopping), and enjoy family as much as you want.

2) stay home and forgo the expensive experience you already paid for — let DH enjoy by herself

3) cancel…see above 

If you’ve never been to Bermuda, it’s beautiful and the locals are so polite and nice.  Also, I believe at the Royal Dockyard in Bermuda they have free wifi.  You have to log out of ships wifi and onto theirs.  

Regardless of what you choose…this situation will always “sting”. Sometimes it will bother you more than others…so try not to dwell on it.  What’s done is done.  Get the best out of it.  And have that hard discussion with DH so it doesn’t happen again. 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:21 AM, Sthrngary said:

I went back to original post and re-read it.  This was your first post on CruiseCritic.com and as you can see, lot of kind folks responded including myself.  You have been given advice, thoughts and opinions.  Some suited you and other did not.  That is what social media is all about.  Different frames of reference. 

No with all due respect, it is clear you will be going on my favorite of the NCL Ships the NCL Joy, in one of my favorite suites in my favorite area the Haven.  You have made your final payment whether it was your idea or not.  Time to shift the focus from the way you found out about the cost and cabin to having the time of your life and the people that love you.

Read the streams on how to have the best time in the Haven, they will serve you well.  I want to give you some very heart felt advice.  It is time to simply forget about the investment you made or if it will be worth it.  That is out of your control and based on your posts, you enjoy every ones company in your family. If you continue to feel somewhat manipulated based on your many posts, I assure you, this will not be a pleasant five days.  I know, I have made that very mistake.  

Now focus on the Haven Horizon Observation Lounge, a very comfortable chair looking at the ocean with possibly a nice cup of coffee.  It was my special and private place.  Focus on the great time you will and have an I do suggest going on the go carts.  I am 65 and had a ball.  Now focus on enjoyment.

8 hours ago, kirtihk said:

On 5/30/2023 at 11:29 AM, nitecapt said:

Sthrngary...it was booked by my affluent step son in law. It's my wife's kids and I am close to them. I just felt that the cost was prohibitive and now ai winder if I have my wife go alone whether we can get  a reduction in price.