Shore Excursions Recommendations, Please!

weva718

Need recommendation for shore excursions. Thank you! 

(1)   Anchorage (Seward), Alaska 9:00 PM

(2)   Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 2:00 PM- 6:00 PM

(3)   Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska 9:00 AM-6:00 PM

(4)   Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier (Cruising)

Juneau, Alaska   7:00 AM-1:15 PM

(5)   Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM-5:00 PM

(6)   Ketchikan (Ward Cove), Alaska   11:30 AM-6:30 PM

(7)   Cruise Inside Passage      ---           ---

Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia 6:00 AM

Edited by weva718

We have no idea when or budget but here goes. 

ANC train to ship,

H/G small boat from cruise ship if available 

ISP, zip line or whale watch.

Juneau, More whales, glacier helo, walk town or mine tour,

Skagway Train or Helo

Ketch, crab boat tour,

1 minute ago, SightCRR said:

ANC train to ship,

Skagway Train or Helo

Ketch, crab boat tour,

We also don't know their interests or limitations. However, there are tons of discussions about each port here.

Sorry I should've be more clear. This is my first time to Alaska and it's a solo trip. This is kind of last minute booking. I'm interested in whale watching, helicopter tour, train ride, river float tour. 

I've read through some posts and I just booked a whale watching tour at Icy Strait Point. I've found a helicopter tour company 90 minutes from Anchorage. It's called Alaska Helicopter Tours. Tour looks pretty good but I want to know if it's worth the effort. So I'm looking to see if there is other easier shore excursion heli tour that's just as good. Thanks! 

51 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

ANC train to ship,

Skagway Train or Helo

Ketch, crab boat tour,

Thank you! 

According to your post #1 your ship docks at Ward Cove in Ketchikan.  Since that dock is out of town and folks are shuttled into Ketchikan you may want to consider a ship excursion that day.

And Seward is a great little community.  Not as touristy as so many of the SE Alaska ports.  Have you considered spending a night in Seward before boarding your ship.  There are some great Kenai Fjords tours.  Our favorite vendor is Major Marine.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

According to your post #1 your ship docks at Ward Cove in Ketchikan.  Since that dock is out of town and folks are shuttled into Ketchikan you may want to consider a ship excursion that day.

And Seward is a great little community.  Not as touristy as so many of the SE Alaska ports.  Have you considered spending a night in Seward before boarding your ship.  There are some great Kenai Fjords tours.  Our favorite vendor is Major Marine.

I didn't even think about looking into activities in Seward. The tour looks wonderful! Thank you!!! I booked Alaska Rail from Anchorage Airport to Seward Cruise Ship Terminal at 1:00pm. I may cancel it or maybe consider an extra day since I haven't book air ticket or hotels yet. Hotel prices are kind of expensive for a solo traveler. 

Edited by weva718

My recommendations for a first-time Alaska visitor would be:

(3)   Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska 9:00 AM-6:00 PM - any whale watching.   The only difference in vendors is the size of the boat/amenities (bathrooms).

(4)   Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier (Cruising) - no excursions

Juneau, Alaska   7:00 AM-1:15 PM - Mendenhall Glacier Walk

(5)   Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM-5:00 PM - definitely dogsledding in the snow

(6)   Ketchikan (Ward Cove), Alaska   11:30 AM-6:30 PM - Crab Fishing (eagle photos)

(7)   Cruise Inside Passage      ---           --- no excursions available

Icy Strait Point - Whale Watching

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/icy-strait-point/P5267948-2-Edit.jpg

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Walk

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070063-Edit.jpg

Skagway - Dogsledding

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-Edit.jpg

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishing (stop to feed eagles)

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P7170107.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

My recommendations for a first-time Alaska visitor would be:

(3)   Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska 9:00 AM-6:00 PM - any whale watching.   The only difference in vendors is the size of the boat/amenities (bathrooms).

(4)   Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier (Cruising) - no excursions

Juneau, Alaska   7:00 AM-1:15 PM - Mendenhall Glacier Walk

(5)   Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM-5:00 PM - definitely dogsledding in the snow

(6)   Ketchikan (Ward Cove), Alaska   11:30 AM-6:30 PM - Crab Fishing (eagle photos)

(7)   Cruise Inside Passage      ---           --- no excursions available

Icy Strait Point - Whale Watching

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/icy-strait-point/P5267948-2-Edit.jpg

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Walk

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070063-Edit.jpg

Skagway - Dogsledding

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-Edit.jpg

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishing (stop to feed eagles)

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P7170107.jpg

Wow~ Beautiful photos! I've booked with Glacier Wind in Icy Strait Point. Our port time in Juneau has changed to 2pm-9pm so I'm going to do a helicopter tour. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to start looking into those tours. 

On 5/30/2023 at 11:06 AM, weva718 said:

Anchorage (Seward), Alaska 9:00 PM

What do you mean by this? Anchorage is about a 2 1/2 drive from Seward. If you mean you are arriving at 9pm the night before your cruise, I would recommend the next morning doing the early morning Coastal Classic train from Anchorage to Seward and then doing a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise before boarding your ship.

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

What do you mean by this? Anchorage is about a 2 1/2 drive from Seward. If you mean you are arriving at 9pm the night before your cruise, I would recommend the next morning doing the early morning Coastal Classic train from Anchorage to Seward and then doing a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise before boarding your ship.

Our ship embarks at 9pm. Yes, I booked the scenic cruisetrain from Anchorage to Seward but our meetup time is at noon. So I'm not able to do the Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise. Thanks for your recommendation, the tour looks awesome. Definitely next time!

13 hours ago, weva718 said:

Our ship embarks at 9pm. Yes, I booked the scenic cruisetrain from Anchorage to Seward but our meetup time is at noon. So I'm not able to do the Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise. Thanks for your recommendation, the tour looks awesome. Definitely next time!

So it sounds like you might be booked on the cruise line train transfer from Anchorage to Seward?  You could book the train directly from Alaska Rail—the train leaves at 6:30 am and arrives in Seward around 11 am.  You can take the Kenai Fjords Tour with Major Marine at 11:30 am (leave your luggage with them), see glaciers, wildlife, have the included lunch and then get on your cruise ship.  It’s easy to walk to the cruise pier from downtown Seward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disneyochem said:

So it sounds like you might be booked on the cruise line train transfer from Anchorage to Seward?  You could book the train directly from Alaska Rail—the train leaves at 6:30 am and arrives in Seward around 11 am.  You can take the Kenai Fjords Tour with Major Marine at 11:30 am (leave your luggage with them), see glaciers, wildlife, have the included lunch and then get on your cruise ship.  It’s easy to walk to the cruise pier from downtown Seward.

I have 24 hours to change my air ticket so I'm gonna see if I can do this. Thanks you! 

Edited by weva718
  • Like 1